Iggy car insurance - WHY????

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
First Rotten with the butter, now this.OK so it's plain to see the benefit in this for Iggy.Likewise the 40-50 something ad agency boss and his chance to work with a legendary seminal influence in [insert rock genre here].But what is the attraction for the car insurance company?Surely there's a more cost-effective way of reaching ten thousand Mojo readers.Marketing 101ers please speak on it.
The veteran rocker is the star of the firm's "Get a life. Get Swiftcovered" campaign. Swiftcover, part of the Axa insurance group, claimed it chose the American singer - whose hits include Lust for Life and The Passenger - to be the face of the company as an actor who "loves life" rather than as a musician. The Advertising Standards Authority said it has launched an investigation after receiving 12 complaints from those deemed ineligible because of their jobs. Tim Soong, who plays bass guitar in Roguetune, said he planned to report Swiftcover to the ASA. "The customer services operator told me they don't insure musicians," he said. "When I mentioned Iggy Pop, she said his case was different because he is American."[/b]
LOL

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Ah, but have you seen the advert on TV? You misunderstand, Skelari - He's selling time; the time you save looking for a better deal, rather than actual insurance.

Because he hopes that you, like him, have a lust for life and cannot be arsed spending the heev-eling 'pon de web saving hundreds (how boring are you?) and would rather spend the cash you would have otherwise saved furthering your lust for lifestyle???.*

RealStoogeHeadz please to confirm if Mr. Ignatius Popp actually has a licence?

* Unless that lifestyle is a hard-partying musician, duh!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Ah, but have you seen the advert on TV? You misunderstand, Skelari - He's selling time; the time you save looking for a better deal, rather than actual insurance.

Because he hopes that you, like him, have a lust for life and cannot be arsed spending the heev-eling 'pon de web saving hundreds (how boring are you?) and would rather spend the cash you would have otherwise saved furthering your lust for lifestyle???.*

RealStoogeHeadz please to confirm if Mr. Ignatius Popp actually has a licence?

* Unless that lifestyle is a hard-partying musician, duh!

Ahhhh, I understand a bit better.
    But I just renewed with Admiral; can I get the time back somehow if I switch??

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    who f*cking cares?

Take that shit to 1999.com

probably my fucked up work computer, but i can't see the image you posted. though, i'm sure it's a real corker.

What is your f*cking problem today?

Probably seasonal affective disorder, as I haven't seen the sun for a week.

but, honestly, i think this argument is dead. bands need money and exposure. they license their music. it isn't something i'd choose, but I'd rather they enjoy some money and comfort.

As Isaac Brock once said, and i'm parphrasing here, "I don't want to wash f*cking dishes my whole life. " It was in an onion av club interview a few years back if you want more of his thoughts.

But, really, this horse is out of the barn, and it ain't going back. This is one we need to get over.

No I ain't mad at Iggy. Far from it. Or even the ad guy.

I wanted to know what's in the campaign for the insurance company.

I'm guessing Iggy is recognisable to 5% of the UK population, maximum.

No car insurance company is going to get rich aiming at 5% of a small market like the UK.

So please to tuck that tuft of asshurt back into your knickers.

There's a good lad.

Dude, you're the one rocking the asshurt about your beloved Iggy hooking on with an insurance company.

This is your whiny thread, so f*cking OWN it.

Why do any of these companies get these songs? Because they're f*cking good songs. HP uses the Kinks? Kool! The NFL uses the Budos Band. Does anyone know who the F*ck they are? No. But it is good music.

So enjoy it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I don't know much about Iggy Pop, nor am I interested in his music... he'd get less flack if he'd simply sold out the rights to his music to be used to sell something, but instead he's sold out any remaining shreds of decency (and from what my GF tells me having seen him perform 'commando' at a festival, shreds is all he needs to hide his decency) by prancing around like a blind narcissist: mid/late life crisis in action, slow-mo car-wreck style. Maybe that's the 'connection'.

Dude, you're the one rocking the asshurt about your beloved Iggy hooking on with an insurance company.

This is your whiny thread, so f*cking OWN it.

Why do any of these companies get these songs? Because they're f*cking good songs. HP uses the Kinks? Kool! The NFL uses the Budos Band. Does anyone know who the F*ck they are? No. But it is good music.

So enjoy it.

Are you stupid or something?
    Read the thread.

Iggy is not my beloved. I own none of his music whatsoever.
    I'm interested in the dynamics of the marketing.

You, on the other hand, are displaying signs of imminent implosion.

Go and have a walk outside, and a Twix maybe.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I thought skel was was questioning Iggy's use to advertise insurance since he's strongly associated with a self-destructive/couldnotgiveafuck lifestyle.

But maybe that's brilliant, actually.

i can't see the image you posted. though, i'm sure it's a real corker.

[be strong, resist the demons!]
    This is screaming for link to the A1 Prop thread.
    [/be strong, resist the demons!]

since he's strongly associated with a self-destructive/couldnotgiveafuck lifestyle.

You need to see the adverts. He's just corporate whoring it to the nth degree, coming out with statements that in his earlier (richer/more relevant/popular on the skreets?) years would surely have reduced him to tears of laughter. For me, it doesn't work. No amount of mojo can escape the fact that he's making an arse of himself selling car insurance. End of.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    You definitely need to see the adverts, this isn't just 'Lust for Life' playing in the background, Iggy is the star of them and it's quite cringeworthy.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Edit: Advert removed as this thread is far more entertaining while people are still confused over the content

Old dudes making some nest-egg money. It's fine by me.

Actually there are a small group of artists that have earned respect over many years by the force of their integrity that I would be VERY salty at, were they to take the adman's shilling:

Paul Weller
    All members of Crass except for Steve Ignorant
    Steve Lake of Zounds

Their records would be consigned to a special section in the expedit, shrouded in crushed black velvet, marked WMIC.

Would a Weller/Vespa collabo get a pass? "Jam" Limited Edition "Colourway"?

Maybe a Nat 'n' Paul joint venture into the fancy drinks promo world.

layers of red, white and blue lager and Stolichnaya for Der Modfather, to be called a Moddy Voddy.

Strictly blue curacao for Nat, with an umbrella natch, and eyeliner dusted round the rim.

To be called a Pansy.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    shouldn't this sort of stuff be confined to the BRITISHNESS thread?

Americans are accidentally reading this thread & becoming confused

Oh please, not more

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    you can have Iggy Pop back...we don't want him.

just sayin'

you guys have your own thread

no need to pollute the rest of the board with all this 'cheerio old chap' jive

shouldn't this sort of stuff be confined to the BRITISHNESS thread?

SIMPLY AND WITHOUT GEOGRAPHICAL BIAS:
    Why would a car-insurance firm use Iggy Pop (not just his music; his persona delivering a script) to sell their product? It seems:

(a) A strange move for the insurers as Iggy is not a household name and
    (b) A sad reflection of the price of Iggy's "Credibility"

(you may/may not feel (b) based on how much love you have for BRAND IGGY).

just sayin'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    SECRET BRIT-THREAD FETISHIST

Listen, when Brits go abroad we always section off a bit of the real estate.

If I should die, think only this of me:
    That there's some corner of a foreign field
    That is for ever England
    and all of that.

Please not to take it personally.

BTW we gives no shit that you hate Brits. The rest of the world have been doing it for centuries, usually better. You guys are just newbies at that particular game.

YOU MUST DEAL

• shouldn't this sort of stuff be confined to the BRITISHNESS thread?

SIMPLY AND WITHOUT GEOGRAPHICAL BIAS:
    Why would a car-insurance firm use Iggy Pop (not just his music; his persona delivering a script) to sell their product? It seems:

(a) A strange move for the insurers as Iggy is not a household name and
    (b) A sad reflection of the price of Iggy's "Credibility"

(you may/may not feel (b) based on how much love you have for BRAND IGGY).

Because Iggy has allowed himself to be coopted as a symbol of rebellion to the affluent quasi-hipster class.

F16C

thanks for a sensible answer!

• F16C

thanks for a sensible answer!

My pleasure!

I don't expect much of people in the entertainment business

toss them a nickel & they dance for you

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    just sayin'

THE BRITISHING[/b]

by M. Might Shamalam.