Unsung: Shalamar (video link)

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
This link comes from another board:http://www.zshare.net/video/616944314117ac4e

Comments

• Thanks for this. I just watched the debarge episode. Pretty depressing.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    ....take that to the bank...man I know that Howard Hewitt is salty since Jodi wont agree to do a reunion....I mean as popular as she was/is as a solo artist they need her more than she needs them......

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ....take that to the bank...man I know that Howard Hewitt is salty since Jodi wont agree to do a reunion....I mean as popular as she was/is as a solo artist they need her more than she needs them......

I don't know, man...Hewett had a good run of hits himself.

I wasn't a fan of Shalamar alone or together, but I can remember when Hewett had his day.

I wasn't a fan of Shalamar alone or together, but I can remember when Hewett had his day.

I say this because Jodi was wayyyyyyyy more popular and a far larger appeal then Howard Hewitt...I remember being in High School when her solo LP dropped all the girls wanted to be her or Lisa Bonet....no disrespect to Howard esp since I am in his home town.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

They need her because she was in the OG Don Cornelius Line-up w/ Jeffrey Daniels. Plus her distinctive vocals is every bit as important as Hewitt's.

Howard Hewitt had a strong Post Modern Soul run after he left that 3rd incarnation of Shalamar.
    His slow jams are still a staple on Quiet Storm formats. And in '95 he released This Time which I feel is he best solo outing. He kills Gaye's Just To Keep you Satisfied, which he directs toward his ex Nia Peeples.
    He also smooves-out AWB's A Love Of Your Own....heat. Dude is top 10 Falsetto in my PMGarden.

Jodi had a big splash but she's been gone since that little run. She was Bigger than Hewitt. But Hewitt stayed in the mix overtime.

I really dont know if they at 50 should be doin a reunion.

They need her because she was in the OG Don Cornelius Line-up w/ Jeffrey Daniels. Plus her distinctive vocals is every bit as important as Hewitt's.

Howard Hewitt had a strong Post Modern Soul run after he left that 3rd incarnation of Shalamar.
    His slow jams are still a staple on Quiet Storm formats. And in '95 he released This Time which I feel is he best solo outing. He kills Gaye's Just To Keep you Satisfied, which he directs toward his ex Nia Peeples.
    He also smooves-out AWB's A Love Of Your Own....heat. Dude is top 10 Falsetto in my PMGarden.

Jodi had a big splash but she's been gone since that little run. She was Bigger than Hewitt. But Hewitt stayed in the mix overtime.

I really dont know if they at 50 should be doin a reunion.

Damn you are right about Hewitt's falsetto skills....cant disagree w/ anything you stated.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I haven't watched the show (got it on the DVR, will watch it tonight). I liked Hewitt's cover of The Eagles' "I Can't Tell You Why".

I also liked Nia Peeples a lot more, but that's another story, another time.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    That was very good show.

I like how they addressed the New Wave Steez.

• Just saw the Soul Train special. Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniels have held up well through the years. I'm sure a reunion wouldn't be an embarrassment (unless it was on a weekend-ribfest "oldies revue" level).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Just saw the Soul Train special. Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniels have held up well through the years. I'm sure a reunion wouldn't be an embarrassment (unless it was on a weekend-ribfest "oldies revue" level).

SINBAD CRUISE TO ARUBA!!!!!!!!!

• Very good and interesting episode.There was an "Unsung" marathon last night.Unfortunately I missed the two episodes I wanted to see the most,Bootsy and The Bar-Kays.Anyone got any links to either one?

Thanks in advance.