BlackBerry?

minneapminneap 541 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
So a buddy of mine are starting to partner up on some business shit and he's gonna lace me with a BlackBerry 8830 World Edition with a memory card for music, trade for a couple beats for his hockey company's splash page. I was really hoping to get an iPhone sometime this summer but cash isn't flowing as expected, cancelling Verizon would be a bitch and I can fusk with a free BB.To the experienced BlackBerry owners, is the 8830 something worth holding onto? Internet is a must obviously. Necessary apps? What's the deal with the music player/MP3 interface? Do I need to switch my email over to a BlackBerry account? BB heads know the deal.

Comments

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    You can configure multiple POP3 internet mail or you can create a Blackberry email ID (att.blackberry.net) and there are enterprise options. I dont know any one who uses a BB for its media/mp3 capabilities. With that said I have both the Iphone and BB and prefer BB for email reply because of the keyboard.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    What he said. You can configure it to grab from multiple email accounts, and you only get a blackberry email address if you want it. Also, in what I assume is an attempt to push back against Apple, google has a whole suite of really good free blackberry apps (gmail, gchat, sync for calender/contacts). I use the gmail one to keep my personal email separate from work.

That said, I'm sure plenty of people here will tell you that anything but an iphone is doo doo, and now that my ipod is broken I'm wavering. I have a bunch of mp3s on my blackberry, but the media player is genuinely simplistic. It works, but the interface is just no where near as graceful as an ipod.

I do occasionally bang out 2 page work emails on the train, which sounds like torture to me on a touch keyboard, although I'm sure you get used to it. I like blackberries a lot, especially free ones..

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I have the new Curve. It has Garmin GPS, media, video camera, a 3.2 mp camera, wi-fi, instant messenger and email. It works, the BB messenger is great for keeping in touch with people in other countries for free and the keyboard is great. I don't need an iphone.

• I have the new Curve. It has Garmin GPS, media, video camera, a 3.2 mp camera, wi-fi, instant messenger and email. It works, the BB messenger is great for keeping in touch with people in other countries for free and the keyboard is great. I don't need an iphone.

Wordagio. I rock the new curve too, and I'm really happy with it. The media player does what its supposed to, and an 8gig memory card cost me $20. Internet can be hella slow though, cause it's not on 3g. If internet is necessary for you find out if your joint is on 3g or not.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Wordagio. I rock the new curve too, and I'm really happy with it. The media player does what its supposed to, and an 8gig memory card cost me $20. Internet can be hella slow though, cause it's not on 3g. If internet is necessary for you find out if your joint is on 3g or not.

Here's a top tip: If you can get onto wi-fi, turn off your provider (t-mobile, AT&T etc). In the top right, instead of 'EDGE' or '3G' you'll see 'UMA' - every call you now make will now be made via the wi-fi connection - and free of charge. I know this works on the t-mobile network, not sure of the others.