STIR FRY (nrr)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
poast your favorite stir fry recipesI just made a crazy one tonite:tomatoavacadooniongarlicwatercresstofusoy saucericehot saucepeppersaltmmmm

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

onions
    garlic
    black beans
    red/green peppers

any of the above stri-fried with chicken or pork

finishing with soy sauce

my favourite!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    chinese eggplant
    onion
    thin sliced beef with a dry curry rub
    thai basil
    sweet chili paste
    peanut oil
    soy sauce

served with white rice and fresh thai basil

yes!

• this may sound like a dumb question, but what is the order of ingredients?

do you fry up certain ingredients, separate them and then add them in again later? i guess i am looking for some methodology here. i bought a bunch of ingredients for a prosepective stir fry but i don;t want just some fried mass of vegetables and shit.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i usually start with the onions or the garlic, then the meat, the other veggies so they have an extra crunch...

not a dumb question I could be totally doing it wrong...

of course some seafood you add last, but I've never seen a stir fry with clams, though that sounds good!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Diced garlic
    Diced ginger

Chopped chicken
    Diced bell peppers
    Diced green onions
    Sugar
    Soy Sauce
    Pepper

Rice vinegar
    Rice wine
    Chili sauce
    Sugar
    Water and corn starch to thicken

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i usually start with the onions or the garlic, then the meat, the other veggies so they have an extra crunch...

of course some seafood you add last, but I've never seen a stir fry with clams, though that sounds good!

This is about right, although my mom's secret is she'll cook the pork/beef/chicken first, remove from pan, do the veggies, then mix in the meat and some more soy sauce, etc.

Proper oil + garlic then onions is a must.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

This is about right, although my mom's secret is she'll cook the pork/beef/chicken first, remove from pan, do the veggies, then mix in the meat and some more soy sauce, etc.

Proper oil + garlic then onions is a must.

I agree with your mom, meat is a great way to flavor anything...and fat is flavor!

• Options
    garlic
    onions
    cubed chicken breast (salt and peppered)
    red & yellow bell peppers
    water chestnuts
    thinly sliced carrots
    sauce=1/3 oyster + 2/3 teriyaki
    a dash of cumin
    a few dashes of sesame seed
    serve on steamed rice

not breaking any new ground with this, but this is my comfort food and really hits the spot when old man hunger comes gnawing at my belly.

• this may sound like a dumb question, but what is the order of ingredients?

do you fry up certain ingredients, separate them and then add them in again later? i guess i am looking for some methodology here. i bought a bunch of ingredients for a prosepective stir fry but i don;t want just some fried mass of vegetables and shit.

Tofu or chicken
    onions
    green beans or brocolli
    Thai roasted chili paste
    Ginger
    garlic
    fish sauce
    lime juice
    Thai basil

Jasmine rice

unless it cooks really quickly (like shrimp), I usually do the protein first and then set it aside and do the vegetables. I usually do onions first, then brocolli and ginger (I use a lot of ginger), then garlic. Garlic tends to burn pretty easily, esp at high temperatures. When everything is almost cooked through, I add the protein back and start adding the sauces / lime juice

• Way ahead of schedule this AM . . . lounging with coffee & dyke and the blazers at 7 . . . I'm sure I'll pay later on.

Stirfry.

Tip one: I'm with Mylatency's mom -- fry yer main ingredient before hand. Keep it crispy. If it is tofu, try drying the chunks with a towel, and then dip in a mix of flour & cornstarch before frying -- it'll give ya that chinese restaurant crispy tofu shell some like.

Tip two: Hot pan. hot pan. Wok is nice, but a stainless steel bowl will work if yer in a dorm or something.

I saute veggies (whatever is around from farmers market, garden or fridge) second. Order of veggies goes from hard to soft. So broccoli will take about 45 seconds more heat than zucchini.

Sauce: mix cornstarch, soy sauce, chopped raw garlic and some spices in a jar. Shake well and drop on stir fry. Cut heat. Add tofu.

If ya are into noodles for your stirfry, try adding a little oil to the noodles when you start to drain them to prevent the sticking/chunking effect in the pan.

I'm working on my dumpling game now. Any tips appreciated.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I saute veggies (whatever is around from farmers market, garden or fridge) second. Order of veggies goes from hard to soft. So broccoli will take about 45 seconds more heat than zucchini.

When making an Indian, or other stir fry that involves sauted vegetables, I use some BEER, or dry (cooking) cider. Cuts down on the amount of oil used and adds flavour and some sugar - courgettes* sauted in BEER or cider always come out crisp and juicy.

While saute-ing, I also get to drink BEER.
    Then I eat meal, also with a nice cool BEER.

*Zucchini?

fat is flavor!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Y'all better be using a WOK.

chicken

= whisky.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    onions
    garlic
    ginger
    soy sauce
    bok choi
    black beans
    red/green peppers
    chilli
    steak or king prawns

All lovingly put together in my trusty old Ken Hom wok (the one essential piece of kitchenware that I've had with me since my first day at uni)