Aren't there some teachers in SF/Bay Area on here?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
A lady friend of mine is a year away from finishing her teaching degree in N.C., but is thinking about possibly moving to San Francisco..but she's heard the credits needed and the way they handle it is different in Cali. Isn't Anna a teacher there? Anyone else? She basically just wants to talk with someone that has some personal experience or insight on the subject. Anyone?Thanks!

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm a teacher in Oakland. You need a teacher credential from the state of CA, a background check, and a BCLAD, which is a credential which says you can teach English language learners. At least that's what I needed 13 years ago. Don't know if they changed the requirements. Also what subject does she teach? That's a huge factor in whether she can get a job. If she teaches English or History, good luck. If she teaches science, math, special ed. or a foreign language it will be much easier. Also CA is going through a massive budget deficit and firing teachers right now, or at least trying to get them to give into pay cuts.

• I'm a teacher in SF.

What Motown said.

And, I just finished my first year in SF Unified after being in Daly City for like 9 years. I wouldn't recommend SFUSD to anyone. The district is huge and there are a lot of schools you wouldn't want to work at. As a first year teacher she'd probably be jacked.

I'm lucky. I'm not in a teaching position right now. I'm kind of a counselor. But, I'm not even that so everyone keeps their hands off of me.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Yeah, she needs to make sure her credential transfers over, Californi, a's requirements are a little tougher than some states. And many districts have a hiring freeze going on right now so it's sucky for jobs all around.

• Well, as weird as it may sound..we kinda had it out tonight so we are no long as item (silly, I know). It's deeper than it sounds...but anyways...