Homemade analog drum machine: Rhythm 1001

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I think it's interesting, figured I'd pass it along.

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This could be something better in the right hands, but these dudes are just noodling in the worst jam band kind of way.

What I mean is, I want to hear "Get It Girl" in analogue.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    This could be something better in the right hands, but these dudes are just noodling in the worst jam band kind of way.

What I mean is, I want to hear "Get It Girl" in analogue.

Pretty sweet setup.

But yeah I'd like to hear something that didn't sound like music I would expect to be played by the type of guys who would build such a contraption (as seen in the vid).

I'm thinking the Funky Drummer. Can it do that?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm thinking the Funky Drummer. Can it do that?

Looking at the contraption that looks like a wheel, I'm sure if it's programmed that way, it would work.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

OH! Now that's nice. I wish there were some circuit bending courses here. On the Drum Buddy, the concept looks as if they got those utensil holders you find in cafeterias, but each hole represents a pattern in the loop. I would assume that you can play with the tone by widening the holes.

• chasechase 767 Posts

OH! Now that's nice. I wish there were some circuit bending courses here. On the Drum Buddy, the concept looks as if they got those utensil holders you find in cafeterias, but each hole represents a pattern in the loop. I would assume that you can play with the tone by widening the holes.

supposedly when you buy a drum buddy, you get to go to the inventors house (which supposedly is a castle) to learn how to use it.

• chasechase 767 Posts

it used to say it one his site somewhere back when you could buy it, that he lived in a castle that is...

• I was actually looking for where you can purchase it. I guess that's gone. I remember it being super expensive like 10000 or something.

It looks like he's actually sold a couple.

I remember seeing the original demo in a bar in SF and thinking it was a joke.

supposedly when you buy a drum buddy, you get to go to the inventors house (which supposedly is a castle) to learn how to use it.

Well, I guess if I could afford something like that, I would consider. Or I could push on and try to make my own. I like the sounds it's able to create, reminds me of some of those Radio Shack kits, but with a turntable and a utensil bucket.