Godfu*@ingdammit!!

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
no offense, but those Japs know how to make a goddamn scary movie....RinguThe Eyeand right now Ju-On...makes one say hoooo-leeee-sheeeeayat!the ogs are so much better than our whitewashed rehashes....And I got some serious Sangria Hiccups right now

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Just a heads up, you may want to edit your "no offense" comment before it gets edited for you.

Herm

• parenparen 537 Posts
    slurs are wack. reallythough.

• I understand lots of people are offended by "Jap", but I've always wondered why it is considered so bad... Isn't it, grammatically speaking, in the same order of of "Brits"? Like... Jap-Japan, Brit-Britain... Just like a shortened version? And I've heard and seen Jap used on quit a few occasions here.

But I don't say it...

Why can they say it, but we can't?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Isn't it, grammatically speaking, in the same order of of "Brits"?

Not until a major US news periodical publishes an article informing readers how to tell their friends the Aussies from the evil Brits.

• Isn't it, grammatically speaking, in the same order of of "Brits"?

Not until a major US news periodical publishes an article informing readers how to tell their friends the Aussies from the evil Brits.

Yeah... well, I've had trouble getting the major periodicals to accept my article (still waiting to hear back from Redbook), but I haven't given up yet!

• I think in England "Jap" isn't considered a derogatory term like it is in america.

I've been trying to get "Ind" to catch on for Indian, but so far no luck.

Actually that last part was a lie.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I think the biggest problem is that these movies aren't really that scary. Atmospheric, sure. But scary? Gedouddahere!

Haven't seen THE EYE, but RINGU was good (the remake was "scarier" IMO though), while JU-ON was a big yawnfest. The original of DARK WATER was decent too.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I understand lots of people are offended by "Jap", but I've always wondered why it is considered so bad... Isn't it, grammatically speaking, in the same order of of "Brits"? Like... Jap-Japan, Brit-Britain... Just like a shortened version?

It has more to do with the history behind the word.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Why can they say it, but we can't?

Ah, to be 9 years old again!

• I understand lots of people are offended by "Jap", but I've always wondered why it is considered so bad... Isn't it, grammatically speaking, in the same order of of "Brits"? Like... Jap-Japan, Brit-Britain... Just like a shortened version? And I've heard and seen Jap used on quit a few occasions here.

Ah sure. And isn't nigger just a derivative of the word black? Since my girl is black and Japanese I'm going to call her a nigger jap for now on. Why not?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Since my girl is black and Japanese

please to provide pics

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

please to provide pics

• Since my girl is black and Japanese

please to provide pics

What's with this black/japanese girls fetish? I'll never know. Oh wait, she's fine as fuck. I get it?

please to provide pics

What's with this black/japanese girls fetish? I'll never know. Oh wait, she's fine as fuck. I get it?
    For Example:

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Referral Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/3021/th-KimoraSimm_Watts_4819684_400.jpg" on this server.

Referral Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/3021/th-KimoraSimm_Watts_4819684_400.jpg" on this server.
    Did you right click it and copy the Properties?

• I understand lots of people are offended by "Jap", but I've always wondered why it is considered so bad... Isn't it, grammatically speaking, in the same order of of "Brits"? Like... Jap-Japan, Brit-Britain... Just like a shortened version?

It has more to do with the history behind the word.

I understand this, and I agree...

But I really think people should lighten up a bit. If someone uses a term and it's obvious they are not using it in a derogatory manner, I think people should chill. Context should be considered...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the Prof was trying to reference the shifty subhuman japanese WWII US media stereotype in conjuncture with his praise of Japanese horror movies...

That's all.

Peace...
    FNM

• I was never mad. It's obvious no hate was intended. If some one educates you they should chill? Give me a break. Just say sorry I didn't know. Thanks for enlightening me.

Nevermind, I'm out.

• I was never mad. It's obvious no hate was intended. If some one educates you they should chill? Give me a break. Just say sorry I didn't know. Thanks for enlightening me.

Nevermind, I'm out.

Naw, you're right...

And even when my friends (who I know are not racist) make off-handed comments, I still call them on it... most of them time, it is done just to elicit a response from me.

I think maybe just the fact that a comment like the Prof's elicits these kind of discussions should be enough to deter them from being made in the first place.

• yikes....

damn dudes, I apologize if I ruffled any feathers. I don't even remember posting this that night - I was really drunk. That's why I was getting freaked out. And SM - The Eye is really freaky too...