Major Lazer

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
So this has hit teh interwebz. No thread yet? Take that shit to the hollaerbored? I can't pass judgement yet. I forgot to bring it with me to work today, so I've only listened once, but parts sound cool to me, better than I was expecting...

Comments

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    I don't know, I am not into watching DJ's "perform" on a giant stage. It sounds cool and though I like a lot of Diplo and Switch's stuff it's just not that exciting. The beats are good but it's not very fun or natural sounding, kind of contrived. I think they love and appreciate dancehall but they don't have to re-do it, it is and always was itself and will be after they are done with it. And in that same way Switch speaks in interviews like dancehall is a planet and he arrived on it and is bringing back specimens. It's a little insulting to the long line of Jamaicans who could wipe their ass with him.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    didnt Diplo invent favela baile funk?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    And in that same way Switch speaks in interviews like dancehall is a planet and he arrived on it and is bringing back specimens. It's a little insulting to the long line of Jamaicans who could wipe their ass with him.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I like it. It's nowhere near as gimmicky as I thought it would be. Granted, the whole marketing campaign is gimmicky and cheesy as heck (and yes, probably a bit insulting), but the album itself is pretty solid.

I could've done without the the Nina Sky song. I don't think it fits in at all. Plus it's not that good. I guess some people would think that the autotune infant/"baby T-Pain"-sampling skit is gimmicky due to it's recent web presence, but I wouldn't even have recognized that sample had they not built up to it with that intro.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I don't know, I am not into watching DJ's "perform" on a giant stage. It sounds cool and though I like a lot of Diplo and Switch's stuff it's just not that exciting. The beats are good but it's not very fun or natural sounding, kind of contrived. I think they love and appreciate dancehall but they don't have to re-do it, it is and always was itself and will be after they are done with it. And in that same way Switch speaks in interviews like dancehall is a planet and he arrived on it and is bringing back specimens. It's a little insulting to the long line of Jamaicans who could wipe their ass with him.

Switch already did a dancehall collabo (not so great but whatev) in 2004 when people were still psyched about AEIOU, yet Wes gets a ghettopass and Dave stays at the Kingston Hilton ?

It's a fresh LP that will appeal to a lot of people, dunno if it will stand the test of time but the real dancehall crowd isn't the target audience anyway, they're too busy wiping their ass I guess.

I'm gonna listen to Jon Carter Live At The Social now. Lordavemercy.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Switch and Ms. Thing are a good combo, their past work indicated this. I like most of it, minus the Crookers hipster rave stuff.