keeping records you sampled?

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
On a related note (to that collectiong sampled records thread), should I keep around all the shitty records I've sampled? Or should I chuck them b/c they take up too much space and are horrible save for the 10sec. I used off of 'em? What's the consensus on this?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    What's the consensus on this?

I am willing to bet money that there isn't one!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I just started buying records to sample again and I have every intention of getting them out of here after I'm done with them. What's the point in keeping them?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    On a similar note, is it wrong to sample the same record twice? For different tracks that is. I do it all the time.

It feels so good to come clean.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    only reason i keep em is cuz i forget to write down what sample i used for what, so sometimes i want to reuse something and i have to translate my mpc naming code to figure out what i used. like if i sampled black velvet "love city" the mpc sample name would be BV_LC1, or something. that way i can go back and look to find out what i used five-10 years from now. of course, i should just write it down and get rid of em, but whatever. i guess i am saving them for when i get older cuz maybe i will like the music off the record then. but probably not.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    is it wrong to sample the same record twice?

You??re going to beat-head-hell, dude. No joke.

In regards to keeping the records you sampled; I keep them in case I make a nice beat and tha beat for some reason is destroyed or deleted or whatever. Good reason to "start fresh", but if it??s a dope sample on a record that doesn??t show up that often... well...

- J

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    just a thought: get a 303 or something similar and don't even buy the record in the first place. just sample on the spot.

discuss?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I keep them. I mean, I'm not paying the original artists anything, so by appreciating 10 seconds on a wack ass record I'm probably doing more to the artist than 99% of the world (the same artist who'd probably give a rat's ass what I think about his/ her record).

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    just a thought: get a 303 or something similar and don't even buy the record in the first place. just sample on the spot.

discuss?
    I know a guy that does this.

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    I've been debating the same thing lately. But i've also went back on records i've sampled before and noticed shit i could flip that I didn't notice before. It's also nice to have the original just in case something happens to the beat.

And shit, you never know, you could make a name for yourself and sample spotters worldwide could start looking for those records. Get some extra cheese off of them...

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Word. I'll pick through a few records every few months just to see how everything sounds different and if I missed anything.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Best thing to do is to just drop them off at the local thrift and get them back into circulation for the rest of us. Keeps the game going!

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Word. I'll pick through a few records every few months just to see how everything sounds different and if I missed anything.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I guess it's all relative. If it's really a shitty dollar bin record. Just sample it, write it down (very important to get int he habit of this for all samples or you will go nuts one day) and then toss it in the pile to go back to the store for trade.. I usually keep them for about a month to be sure I got what I want and I don't need to re-sample for what ever reason (not loud enough, decided I want more of the sample etc.)

If it's a good record or a really nice beat then I usually hang onto them. Unless, once again, it's something I see every where all the time for cheap. But I'm broke, so I can't afford a huge place just to store 1000 dollar records that I will only use once.