WHEN PEOPLE ASK...(music taste)

2»

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    harcore techno and gabber, mostly gabber.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I hate this question so much.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

WHEN PEOPLE ASK YOU WHAT "TYPE" OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, WHAT IS YOUR RESPONSE?

THE GOOD TYPE

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I hate this question so much.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    No offense, and this is not at all to single anyone out, but as I've said before: When anyone tells me, in a friendly conversational context, "Oh, I listen to good music," it makes me want to glue their fuckin' hair to the wall.

Whenever somebody pops this "good music" shit, the best-case scenario is that they're the same kind of chowderheaded-but-well-meaning literalists who will, for example, when you say "Gee, I'm sorry about your sick dog/dead grandmother/pulsing goiter," reply "That's okay--it's not your fault."

The worst-case scenario is that they're one of these smug, smart-dumb types who either don't understand or don't care that 1) the social conventions of the grown-up world involve actual questions hiding behind literal questions ("Your birthday's coming up--what kind of music do you like?" "Hey, I like good music." Fuck outta here with that), and that 2) the implied unspoken half of "I listen to good music..." is "...you know, not like that horseshit that you listen to."

I mean, if you're getting sidewaysed by some jackass pulling on your coat tryna prove a point, it's one thing to brush him off (and it's almost certainly a him, innit?) with the "I like good music" blas?? blah, but talking that way among friends displays a marked lack of wits and/or class. Unless you're Duke Ellington squaring off against some journalists that have an axe to grind, please miss me with that shit.

I usually just tell people what kind of music I've been listening to lately, then go from there.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    [quote}I hate this question so much.

i feel yall on this sentiment, cause it gets old, but how many of you can say you don't occasionally ask it?

what i mean is that i ask people sometimes, and i don't expect them to tell me EVERY kind of music they like, just give a point of reference, someone or something you like, so we can talk about music if there is common ground.

this question doesn't need to be taken as seriously as most music headz take it

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    No offense, and this is not at all to single anyone out, but as I've said before: When anyone tells me, in a friendly conversational context, "Oh, I listen to good music," it makes me want to glue their fuckin' hair to the wall.

Whenever somebody pops this "good music" shit, the best-case scenario is that they're the same kind of chowderheaded-but-well-meaning literalists who will, for example, when you say "Gee, I'm sorry about your sick dog/dead grandmother/pulsing goiter," reply "That's okay--it's not your fault."

The worst-case scenario is that they're one of these smug, smart-dumb types who either don't understand or don't care that 1) the social conventions of the grown-up world involve actual questions hiding behind literal questions ("Your birthday's coming up--what kind of music do you like?" "Hey, I like good music." Fuck outta here with that), and that 2) the implied unspoken half of "I listen to good music..." is "...you know, not like that horseshit that you listen to."

I mean, if you're getting sidewaysed by some jackass pulling on your coat tryna prove a point, it's one thing to brush him off (and it's almost certainly a him, innit?) with the "I like good music" blas?? blah, but talking that way among friends displays a marked lack of wits and/or class. Unless you're Duke Ellington squaring off against some journalists that have an axe to grind, please miss me with that shit.

I usually just tell people what kind of music I've been listening to lately, then go from there.

word.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

word.

bullsye!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I usually tell them that I'm really into Phil Collins.

end of discussion.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I do not listen to music.

• cock rock.

• When you ask people that question back, it's always nice to be able to nail the hottest jawns around in their chosen genres, and put them up on some new bits to try. Even better if you can pull it off without sounding arrogant.

'You're into blazing downtempo? Have you checked the Meaty Ogre album yet...?'

by the way, Mr Ogre, if you're reading this, the album gets very good 'hey, what's this you're playing?' coverage in the office.

J

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I just say "I dont want to have this conversation with you"

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I usually say, "I only listen do industrial black death metal."

- spidey

• "Big bands with a percussionist. But not merengue or salsa. Please steal these from your dad's collection for me."

I could carry a conversation on Phil Collins too though.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Nitzer Ebb, Bryan Adams, White Lion, Late eighties Lionel Richie, Pebbles, the Fugs..(not particularly in that order)

• Modern Polka. Its like regular polka but with lots of synths and jheri curls.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Modern Polka. Its like regular polka but with lots of synths and jheri curls.

tuba synths? that'd be fresh.

• Both kinds....country & western.