People do not know how to ship a record

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
WTF?one record, in here? with some light bubble wrap so it's sure to bash around in shipping and arrive with the corners dog eared? awesome. i bet this person also goes for a jog in the middle of the street at rush hour and puts sandwiches in his pockets.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    whats wrong with sandwiches in your pocket? i have an italian sub in my searsuckers right now

• mpinball moves

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i have an italian sub in my searsuckers right now

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    I love when you get a record in the mail and the vinyl is sticking out the side of the package because they sent the record in one of those flimsy envelope mailers. It's equally amusing when you get records in a used mailer that was probably on its last leg from the get-go and there's a nice crease in the sleeve which leaves you wondering how the record didn't break.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    mpinball moves

you clonn mpinball you clonn yourself. i got a few heavy records off that dude for peanuts. no shipping issues.

COVER HAS SOME WARE

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Some nice "Miele" appliances you go there! Is that there washer line? Top notch schitt.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What's funny.. and reliving... is when on that rare occassion, you geta record posted in an envelope and it arrives somehow unscathed. Happened with a 45 from Italy a month or so back. I almost cried when I saw the envelope, but when the record came out in perfect shape you just don't know how it's possible, but you're glad that it is.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i've had plenty of experiences with sellers that don't know how to package records. the people you have to worry about are the ones that are selling like 2 records amidst a ton of knick knacks and antiques. the likelihood of them shipping them flat in a priority mail box is pretty high.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Records shipped in a pizza box now that is really F***ed up!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    ...and puts sandwiches in his pockets.

only if life worked like that.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    It's also funny when you are buying from people through sites like Craigslist. We have a similar website here in Holland. I've had records arriving only wrapped in newspaper. When that happened a few times I started to write the packing instructions down in every email.
    Also had a record arriving in a box the size of a washingmachine filled up with those little foamies.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had someone once ship records with the record outside of the sleeve and placed directly behind the center box slit. Which means...when I went to open it with a knife, I cut a nice slice right down the middle of the vinyl.

To this day, I always cut the sides first, then pull the center up and then cut down the middle, lest someone else package so poorly!

• I've had records arriving only wrapped in newspaper
    this happened with me too once, i was so close to putting a nice large knife line through the front of the sleeve of the LP, i told the seller in future whenever i buy anything off them i want the card stiffners and not bubble wrap/newspaper.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    People who don't know how to pack records infuriate me.

There's nothing worse than paying a premium for an immaculate copy of a record and then having it arrive with a massive fresh seam split.

I always include packing instructions with my payment... of course, this only works with people who know how to read.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

I always include packing instructions with my payment... of course, this only works with people who know how to read.

I've got nothing wrong with customers sending packing instructions for safer delivery, but you really are not in a position to expect any special care for your item AFTER YOU HAVE ALREADY BID ON AND WON IT. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but I would strongly recommend that buyers confirm with sellers how records will be packed BEFORE bidding. Unfortunately, for some reason, it only seems to work out this way about 1% of the time.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Receiving poorly packaged raer is the worst.

I've received records wrapped in newspaper as well. Raer wrapped in newspaper.

I've got nothing wrong with customers sending packing instructions for safer delivery, but you really are not in a position to expect any special care for your item AFTER YOU HAVE ALREADY BID ON AND WON IT. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but I would strongly recommend that buyers confirm with sellers how records will be packed BEFORE bidding. Unfortunately, for some reason, it only seems to work out this way about 1% of the time.

No.

I don't request any "special care". I ask only that records be packed competently.

Engaging in shipping negotiations prior to each and every contemplated bid is extremely inefficiant and is not at all how the system is supposed to work.

If a person is holding themselves out publicly as a seller of records, they should know how to properly pack them and be willing to do so--this is a reasonable baseline assumption.

If you take issue with this, you don't belong on eBay.

• rillz is right, you cant negotiate specific shipping requests before you win because its a big waste of both yours and their time if you don't win. I listen to and do my best to accommodate for specific packaging requests and always try my best to do it right (stiffners, LPs outside of sleeve, ship with poly sleeve etc) but still sometimes the PO incompetence has got me (lost records, broken records, stolen records...really annoying stuff).

something arrives with a massive fresh seam split.
    this happened to me just this morning, the LP i got is stone cold mint but there is a seam split on the top of the sleeve 3" long because the record wasn't taken out of the sleeve and had no stiffeners!

No.

I don't request any "special care". I ask only that records be packed competently.

I know you don't think so, but "competently" is subjective. For many buyers and sellers, it simply means "the record reached it's destination intact". For others, there is only one acceptable brand of record mailer, brand of tape, thickness of protective insert, etc. etc. Personally, I ship all records in sturdy Uline boxes with cardboard stiffeners and/or bubble wrap. I've shipped about 5000 records around the world with no damaged records and no negative feedback. Nevertheless, I still receive numerous post-auction requests to, for example, double-up my boxes, which I consider unreasonable. That constitutes "special care". It actually costs me more money for that additional box than I charge for shipping and handling. Truth is, I actually still honor most of these unreasonable requests to avoid confrontation, but the sense of last-minute entitlement irks me to no end.

Engaging in shipping negotiations prior to each and every contemplated bid is extremely inefficiant and is not at all how the system is supposed to work.

Hmmm...I've never found it inefficient, as a buyer, to ask questions of a seller before bidding. It basically gives me the same peace of mind BEFORE I put my money on the table that you're trying to get AFTER you've put your money on the table. As an occasional fellow buyer, I have to ask: why would you commit to a transaction with such an important uncertainty still unresolved? If you don't get a timely response, my best advice is to

If a person is holding themselves out publicly as a seller of records, they should know how to properly pack them and be willing to do so--this is a reasonable baseline assumption.

I think you're the one that doesn't understand how ebay works. Ebay is a sea of amateurs sellers posing as professionals. Many are amateurs not even trying to pose as professionals. You could be buying from a guy selling his mom's collection. This is not Amazon.com. This is precisely why you have to make doubly sure you know what you're getting into before you get into it (i.e. entering into a contract). I'm really saying this to make your life easier, not mine.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

I think this is actually a great idea, faux rillz, kindly cut and paste your packing instructions so that we can all benefit (plagiarize them) from them and send them along with payments too. It would be nice to have a handy concise way to describe proper record packing/mailing to an otherwise clueless seller who normally peddles other junk.

rillz is right, you cant negotiate specific shipping requests before you win because its a big waste of both yours and their time if you don't win. I listen to and do my best to accommodate for specific packaging requests and always try my best to do it right (stiffners, LPs outside of sleeve, ship with poly sleeve etc) but still sometimes the PO incompetence has got me (lost records, broken records, stolen records...really annoying stuff).

I don't really sympathize with buyers that "don't have the time" to enter into bids responsibly. I'm sure their itchy trigger fingers help me more than hurt me, but still...I could do without the post-auction nerves.

As a seller, there's one obvious way to bypass any questions, which is to clearly state your packing materials and methods in your listings. But I certainly don't consider it a waste of my time to answer any questions that I haven't covered in my listing. Again, it's a bigger waste of my time to be negotiating after we've got a contract than before.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    A japanese seller once sent me a record (Finger Five) sent in a thin plastic bag, one of those practically-transparent ones you get in cheap supermarkets.

It was taped "shut" with some scotch tape.

Somehow, the record was unharmed.

rillz is right, you cant negotiate specific shipping requests before you win because its a big waste of both yours and their time if you don't win. I listen to and do my best to accommodate for specific packaging requests and always try my best to do it right (stiffners, LPs outside of sleeve, ship with poly sleeve etc) but still sometimes the PO incompetence has got me (lost records, broken records, stolen records...really annoying stuff).

I don't really sympathize with buyers that "don't have the time" to enter into bids responsibly. I'm sure their itchy trigger fingers help me more than hurt me, but still...I could do without the post-auction nerves.

As a seller, there's one obvious way to bypass any questions, which is to clearly state your packing materials and methods in your listings. But I certainly don't consider it a waste of my time to answer any questions that I haven't covered in my listing. Again, it's a bigger waste of my time to be negotiating after we've got a contract than before.

LOL, dude--we are not talking about obtaining further details regarding a unique item.

We are talking about knowing how to package something so that the buyer receives the same item that he/she paid for.

SMH at you dudes making excuses for poor behavior, slackness, laziness and aggressive ignorance. Such a bad look.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    You guys need to start buying from competent dealers like...ummm...ME/A> for instance.

My packaging is exquisite.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Engaging in shipping negotiations

Have you really ever had to negotiate how a record was packaged?

Do you get responses like this:
    Seller: I do not take records out of the covers before shipping. If you are willing to pay an extra $3 I will take the record out of the cover.
    ?

Are you one of those people (who I have nothing against) who include diagrams on how to strengthen the corners of boxes by adding extra cardboard?

I always like to communicate with an unkown seller when I bid, just to see if they are capable of communicating with a buyer. Sending your packaging instructions, or just asking seller how they pack, is a good first communication.

Might save lengthy negotiations over box test weights later.

LOL, dude--we are not talking about obtaining further details regarding a unique item.

???

We are talking about knowing how to package something so that the buyer receives the same item that he/she paid for.

SMH at you dudes making excuses for poor behavior, slackness, laziness and aggressive ignorance. Such a bad look.

How am I making excuses, here, exactly? Personally, my records are packed impeccably and I think it's fine to hold sellers to the highest standard. I'm just saying for your own sake that it's foolish to think that everyone that sells a record on ebay knows what that gold standard is and can accomodate you at your pleasure. Fools need to COMMUNICATE with each other. And doing that BEFORE entering into a contract is the less ignorant, less lazy, more effective way of doing things.

I think this is actually a great idea, faux rillz, kindly cut and paste your packing instructions so that we can all benefit (plagiarize them) from them and send them along with payments too. It would be nice to have a handy concise way to describe proper record packing/mailing to an otherwise clueless seller who normally peddles other junk.

It's nothing at all involved, and it's certainly nothing that would result in any extra expenditure on the seller's part--I'm not insisting on double-boxing or acid-free liners or anything like that. Just a single sentence:

Hi,

Please ship record OUTSIDE outer sleeve (but obviously inside paper inner sleeve) in order to avoid seam-splitting.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what sort of pre-bid negotiations dudes have in mind. Maybe the opening salvo would be something along the lines of:

Dear Seller--

Can you reassure me that, if I explicitly instruct you to package this record outside of the sleeve, your command of English is not so deficient and your common sense is not so lacking that you will fail to do so?

Diggin' in NYC,
    faux_rillz

???

How am I making excuses, here, exactly? Personally, my records are packed impeccably and I think it's fine to hold sellers to the highest standard. I'm just saying for your own sake that it's foolish to think that everyone that sells a record on ebay knows what that gold standard is and can accomodate you at your pleasure. Fools need to COMMUNICATE with each other. And doing that BEFORE entering into a contract is the less ignorant, less lazy, more effective way of doing things.

Again, disagree.

It is implicit in the contract that the other party will actually perform.

I am not seeking the gold standard--only the most basic level of service that does not deprive me of the benefit of the contract.

I am hardly under the illusion that everybody--or even the majority of people--on eBay have any idea what they're doing. I'm very selective in who I bid with--I need to see solid feedback, an understanding of grading and related terminology and a solid command of English before I place a bid, and I will pay a premium to a demonstrably competent seller. Nonetheless, one or two times out of a hundred you get got. That's just the math, and it hardly justifies engaging in pre-bid negotiations regarding something that should be understood by all parties every time you're even thinking about buying a record.

Engaging in shipping negotiations

Have you really ever had to negotiate how a record was packaged?

Please direct this question to the poasteurs who were advocating this approach.

I don't negotiate anything.