ultramagnetic mcs - give the drummer some

2»

Comments

• Options
    I love that tune (and actually was the one who broke it a couple years ago). Def calypso-tinged and I can see how that would turn the uninitaited off.

K.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I love that tune (and actually was the one who broke it a couple years ago). Def calypso-tinged and I can see how that would turn the uninitaited off.

Well, I'm decently initiated in calypso, and--as a Chicago resident--am quite initiated in "Vehicle," but I still find this record neither fish nor fowl. The horn arrangements are a little too bloodless to make it an interesting complement to the original, and the calypso rhythm doesn't run deep enough (sonically speaking) to make it remarkable on its own. Plus, dude's vocals are way out front, and can't really support all that limelight. And I say this as someone who is a softy for cover versions. Maybe I need better speakers or something.

The flip--that "Making A Living" tune--is really good, though.

• Options
    HE is one of Barbados more decorated musicians (has a Talent COntest named after him ) - but that out front sound was indicative of most of that studio's recordings and not the will of MR Stoute.

K.