Ever been in sauna?

2»

Comments

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Saunas are great but Sweatlodges are next level

Probably done a dozen sweatlodge ceremonies in my life and they are spiritually and physically intense.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Last time I was in a natural environment I hiked up a few miles, per my girls request at the time, to a nice local with about 10 or so hotsprings. When I finally made it up to the right one. A local dude, tree logger fella, joined us, but in his own area. I did not notice he was buck naked. But, when the young girls asked where the top was, 15 maybe, he stood up and helped them to their local. But, they were buggin to say the least. Anywho, I don't normally do dat but the old lady represented. It was funny to see the y0ungins response to the old logger dude. Deep woods ish.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

also when i was just in mexico i did a mayan sweat lodge in which they poured sea water on fire hot rocks in a pit and it was completely dark. we were given bundles of rosemary to swat ourselves with to stimulate circulation. we did 4 rounds of the sweat with some chanting and drums and a 're-birthing' ceremony, as the sweat symbolizes a womb of cleansing and re-birth and then when we left we ran down to the sea and jumped into the water as the sun was setting.

Except for the building being made of stone (I assume), and that you beat yourself with hirse (don't know what this is caled in English) this is exactly the same as what a proper sauna is like. I'm often disappointed by saunas in gyms and resorts and the like, I feel like they're never hot enough, and most times don't have an option for going into cold water afterwards, which is a big part of the experience.

Rolling in snow afterwards is the BEST though. Immensely refreshing. It feels like your entire body is completely awake.