STRUT SK8RZ

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
put the board down, yer too old.

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    when I really was a skateboarder, I had one setup: a deck a month; wheels every two or so; and trucks lasted as long as they lasted.

Now, that I'm definitely completely hopelessly NOT a skateboarder: I have three complete skateboards... so lame.

while I haven't learned a new trick in a decade: there are just too many skateboard parks now to really officially quit--I can still "bomb" around a bowl or rally to the bar or whatever...

but yeah, I agree. I just can't though.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    That's ageist.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    dod> yeah i hear seattle has a lot of free / public parks and skateable spots. a friend of mine works for snocon and deals with the local scene. what i failed to ask is how do folks skate out there when it rains so often

i use my skateboard for transport. i feel like a total poser because my shit ain't even thrashed up with graphics in tact. booo.

i won't get a longboard ever though. [chills]

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

why? skating is a sport, pickup golf if you want to be old then.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'll never quit. Not to be rebellious or anti anything, it's just one of the things I use to clear my head every once in a while.

• sheeeeeeeeit, im better now than ive ever been.

SKATE OR DIE BATCHES

• my leg has been jacked for the last 3 weeks, so instead of skating ive been messing around with my nikon. all these people are in the their 30s:

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    That looks like a fun little quarterpipe.

I just started skating regularly again and it feels great. I'm 34 and had been skating less and less as girlfriend/job(archivist)/rock band/DJing took over my time. And of course the aches and pains didn't help. But skating again has actually taken away the aches and pains. I feel great and I'm having a blast ... total fountain of youth.

I recently met a couple of tattoo artists who are 30+ skaters themselves. Their shop happens to be directly across the street from my girlfriend's art gallery (which is on a tiny street with three other galleries and a great little bar). So now a lot of my time is spent on that street messing around on flat, playing games of SKATE, etc. It gets people walking by to stand around and hang out. There's a Northern Indian restaurant right there ... the employees love it. We even gave the youngest guy a board. He can barely speak English so I think he really enjoys having an activity that he can share with us.

As long I avoid major injuries, I'm going to keep at it. There's no activity in my life that can replace it. It's creative, social and good exercise.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    There's no activity in my life that can replace it. It's creative, social and good exercise.

Word. There isn't really a reason to stop skating.

I skated with Steve Olsen yesterday. Dudes gotta be almost 50. He rips.

As the "sport" of skating ages, so do the participants. No body tells surfers they are too old.

• I skate on the streets every couple of days. There is a free park in Arcata that I skate every once & a while, but my ancient style is bit awkward w/ current youth, so I tend to go early.

I still skate -- I just ride a blank board now. Interestingly enough, the last name board I had was a Steve Olsen on Skull Skates -- it served me well & died on a ratty quarter-pipe.

I had that board in 87. Seriously.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    the death of Carradine led me to thoughts on auto-erotic asphyxiation which led me to thoughts on INXS guy which reminded me of the horrible combat-boots skate-like-an-egyptian hang-five on the Psycho Stick on their album cover.

always going to have skateboards on the brain...

the death of Carradine led me to thoughts on auto-erotic asphyxiation which led me to thoughts on INXS guy which reminded me of the horrible combat-boots skate-like-an-egyptian hang-five on the Psycho Stick on their album cover.

always going to have skateboards on the brain...

real talk.