How did Grunge come about?

2»

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    There were so many great bands in Seattle back in the nineties (still are) but it's a shame that we're mostly known for such terrible groups as Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden etc. None of my peers ever liked that bullshit, even back then. I don't see how those bands are really related to Melvins, Mudhoney, Nirvana aside from region. Most of this stuff has aged so badly anyways, so who cares. I can't imagine revisiting this stuff anytime soon, that's for sure.

Pacific Northwest lumberjack folk sad/mad at it raining all the time.

This about sums it up. Plus people wear flannels up here cuz it's COLD.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Mudhoney's Super Fuzz Big Muff

I have ridiculously great memories surrounding this album.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    As a side note, it's amusing to note that many genre tags of that era started out as jokes, or at least as sarcastic putdowns of bands of similar sound.

DC bands Rites of Spring & Embrace were jokingly referred to as "emo" around 1985 because of their highly melodramatic performances and similar response from their crowds. But by 1990 the term was in full use as a genre tag.

"Grunge" we've already covered.

But the capper had to be Sebadoh's "Gimme Indie Rock," the title of which was HIGHLY amusing at the time - 1991 - when that term was barely in use at all. Little did anyone know that within the year it would come to be the industry-standard moniker for what was previously called "alternative music."

Sebadoh - Gimme Indie Rock lyrics

Started back in '83
    Started seeing things a differently
    And hardcore wasn't doin' it for me no more
    Started smoking pot
    Thought things sounded better slow
    Much slower, heavier
    Black magic melody to sink this poseur's soul

VU Stooges undeniably cool
    Took a lesson from that drone rock school
    Manipulate musicians hack righteous drool
    Getting loose with the Pussy Galore
    Cracking jokes like a Thurston Moore
    Peddle hopping like a Dinosaur, J...

Rock and Roll genius, ride the middle of the road
    Milk that sound, blow your load
    Shoot it further than you ever said it go
    Four stars in the Rolling Stone

Oooh sludge rock,
    That's hard as harsh
    Just gimme indie rock!
    It's gone big
    Come on indie rock
    Just give me indie rock

Taking inspiration from Husker Du
    It's a new generation
    Of electric white boy blues
    Come on indie rock
    It's gone big
    Come on indie rock
    Just give me indie rock

Breaking down the barriers
    Like Sonic Youth
    They got what they wanted
    Maybe I can get what I want too
    Come on indie rock
    It's gone big
    Come on indie rock
    Just give me indie rock

Time to knock
    The hard rock on it's side
    Time to knock
    The shit right up a storm
    Turn to amaze
    With the indie sludge
    Grunge!
    Aaah!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Side note: I discovered some Sugar Shack 7-inches in my basement a few weeks ago. That stuff still sounds great 20 years later.

You're a freak and you don't even know it...love(d) that band.

And dudes are trying too hard in here, just like the stuffiest of rock critics.

Grunge is Jeff Spicola smacking his Van against his forehead.

I mean, there were bands doing smart versions of grunge and I think the punk bands cited in here are valid influences.

But again, if a band went too far from catering to that "hear that, that's my skull" mentality, then they were on some other ish.

Also, the Screaming Trees were/are much more than alright. Sweet Oblivion on was indeed subpar, but anything before that = golden.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    grunge--and, in particular, Nirvana--was rock music's last grasp at relevance.

Maybe it was a "last grasp at relevance" on the part of rock critics (many of whom were too old to fully relate to this new genre when it came about)

Maybe the ones who wrote for the likes of Rolling Stone, but definitely not at the fanzines. (Or maybe even Spin, who always seemed to lean towards alt-rock even when they put Jon Bon Jovi on the cover.)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I offer a counter-narrative: grunge--and, in particular, Nirvana--was rock music's last grasp at relevance.

Eh. Maybe it was a "last grasp at relevance" on the part of rock critics (many of whom were too old to fully relate to this new genre when it came about), but the bands themselves were just playing the kind of music that came natural to them. I'd venture to guess that very few of the pioneering "grunge" bands cared about any kind of relevance. In fact, most had a healthy sense of humor about the whole enterprise of rock and its trappings.

Dude, you are a known rockist.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Was it the boy noz who came up with "grunge grandpa"?

I offer a counter-narrative: grunge--and, in particular, Nirvana--was rock music's last grasp at relevance.

Eh. Maybe it was a "last grasp at relevance" on the part of rock critics (many of whom were too old to fully relate to this new genre when it came about), but the bands themselves were just playing the kind of music that came natural to them. I'd venture to guess that very few of the pioneering "grunge" bands cared about any kind of relevance. In fact, most had a healthy sense of humor about the whole enterprise of rock and its trappings.

Dude, you are a known rockist.

And Faux Rillz, you are a known rapist.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Also, the Screaming Trees were/are much more than alright. Sweet Oblivion on was indeed subpar, but anything before that = golden.

I will this statement.

A couple years back, a coworker was playing a Mark Lanegan album, and it was great. Reminded me how much ass that band kicked, and he remains solid. Check, "Hit the City," for some great rock n' roll.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Screaming Trees are alright fucking awesome.

The anthology of their SST material is crucial.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Having said that, my can-only-have-one grunge album
    would be the self-titled Mudhoney LP. Super Fuzz Big Muff
    may be the blueprint for grunge, but the S/T album is it's
    peak moment, IMO. Mudhoney were great live back then, too.

Also ... I know grunge is supposed to be a northwest scene
    but Dinosaur put out their first album in 1985, and that
    is unquestionably a "grunge" record in retrospect.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I know Grunge is supposed to be a northwest scene
    but Dinosaur put out their first album in 1985, and that
    is unquestionably a "Grunge" record in retrospect.

Did it kinda sound like what was happening at the time, but in retrospect it was ahead of itself - or a clue to what was to come?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    two drumkits on stage at a Mudhoney show at WWU...

Nirvana was about two months into world domination...there wasn't supposed to be an opening band...quite an opening band, Nirvana. That was THE "Seattle Sound" moment for me.

really, looking back...it's hard to distinguish what was "grunge" and what was just being 15 years old...

I dug it though, it was pretty exciting to be the HQ of music for a couple years...

I still got some mean flannels too.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Dinosaur put out their first album in 1985
    a clue to what was to come?

def.
    i don't think anyone really sounded like dinosaur in 85/86.
    sure, there were the torch-bearers around at that point (sonic youth, pixies, etc) but none of them were really engaging in the "loud guitars throwing up on a tape" sound that dinosaur was making.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

grunge = 90s college rock gone top 40

IMO (and I lived through it, thanks) grunge sucked ass. That flannel uniform was nothing new and the music was mostly junk, with a few exceptions.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It was that writer Everett True, from what I can remember...

and then a marketing creation, just like "crack." It doesn't exist. Bands that are called "grunge" can somehow be punk, metal, poppy, all sorts of things.

Pretty much it's fake.

that said:
    Melvins RULE!

"If music were a religion, then may Melvins be my God[/b]."
    -John Book, review for "Lysol" in "The Rocket" circa 1992

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

grunge = 90s college rock gone top 40

IMO (and I lived through it, thanks) grunge sucked ass. That flannel uniform was nothing new and the music was mostly junk, with a few exceptions.

Yeah, soulmarcosa definitely lived through it too and is more aware of what he's speaking on then he's let on here. He and Hook_Up's 'old rock dude' comments are the most on the money here.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Emo is considered to be kind of post hardcore music starting in DC with like... sunnny day real estate and fugazi...

FYI, emo was over before "Sunny Day" even existed... I don't think I've ever even heard that band.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Little did anyone know that within the year it would come to be the industry-standard moniker for what was previously called "alternative music."

And before that "college rock."

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Dude, Marcosa and I met way back in the Pleistocene cos we traded copies of our underground/indie/whatever zines, LOL. His was KILLER.

Dino Jr were years ahead of their time and were never topped (while Lou was with them). Nirvana was a watered-down little brother.