How did Grunge come about?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
What was the climate that made it come about?There's an exhibit about NYC music mid 70s to early 80's. Punk, Disco,Hip Hop, blah-blah-blah... the ususal footage and shit. Whatever. My co-worker and I were discussing how the bad NYC economy helped this happen.What was happenning to create Grunge? Was it purely an industry creation ala New Wave, or were there social conditions that factor in?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    It was that writer Everett True, from what I can remember...

and then a marketing creation, just like "crack." It doesn't exist. Bands that are called "grunge" can somehow be punk, metal, poppy, all sorts of things.

Pretty much it's fake.

that said:
    Melvins RULE!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Prevailing VH1-approved theories cast Grunge as merely a reaction to Hair Metal.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I don't know if this is relevant or not but...

My friends and I were proto-grunge kids in the early-mid 70's. My standard look was ripped to shit jeans, timberland boots, "ironic" t-shirt (Fritz The Cat was my fave) worn under a ripped flannel shirt with none of the buttons buttoned. We listened to a mix of 60's rock and early punk. This was in upstate NY.

When I saw photos of grunge kids in the early 90's, they looked exactly like we did back then.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Pacific Northwest lumberjack folk sad/mad at it raining all the time.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    In my mind, the music that became known as "grunge" started when members of 80s hardcore bands formed new groups that reached beyond hardcore's constraints but still remained loud.

Dinosaur Jr., Green River, Die Kreuzen, Sonic Youth, Pussy Galore, Swans, Big Black, Melvins, late-period Black Flag, etc. were diverse & early exponents of that movement away from hardcore into uncharted but still abrasive territory. I was in my teens in the 80s and most of my "punk" friends and I dug that stuff because it was new, experimental, vital NOT top-40, and we knew they grew up on the same music we did.

When "grunge" as a term was officially coined in the late-80s to describe Seattle-area Sub Pop label bands such as Nirvana, Soundgarden and Mudhoney, all of these outfits were all influenced by the bands mentioned above.

I'd argue that "grunge" went commercial with the first Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam albums, and pretty much any successful "grunge" bands that followed were 3rd rate imitators of a sound they had little original connection to, and neither did a lot of their fans.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So REGION doesnt really factor into it?

So REGION doesnt really factor into it?

It was originally a term to describe a regional (Pacific Northwest) sound but quickly became diluted as imitators from around the country adopted a similar sound to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and/or Alice In Chains.

As noted above, very few original "grunge" bands labeled themselves as such. It was just a convenient media term. Mudhoney's Mark Arm (or Steve Turner?) was quoted as saying "Grunge? Isn't that what gets on your dishes when you don't wash them?"

Here's a pretty good overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yep. It was something made up[/b] by desperate music journalists and record company hacks. Mainly because of the hype that Nirvana caused.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I do think there is some sort of 'structure or style' that grunge has. I always understood (in my limited F*ck rock and roll its all about hip hop and funk mentality!) that 'grunge' was merely the combination of punk and heavy metal styles...

Basically punks that could actually play more than 3 chords!... I did grow up listening to alot of 'grunge' cus of my mates who where into all those bands (before it bacome a pop culture thing) and read a few books (include Mr True's ramblings).

I read in one of these books (i think its the Pearl jam bio) how the punk crowds and the heavy metal crowds where two totally different scenes in the arly 80s round seattle, which I found funny at the time.... and how Green River where sort of the first dudes to mix it up....

But then you got all those bands saying they where influenced by alot of the 'garage' rock bands of the late 60s and early 70s...so it could be that gurnge was just a modernised version of that...with some nicer fret work and less cock rock shredding moments....

Has hip hop got a 'grunge' equivalent? The backpackers/indie label scene? Or would the hip hop version be a dude straight spitting on a shit mic with a dj cutting up a 2 scratched up versions of Apache/Funky Drummer/Big beat etc?

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Prevailing VH1-approved theories cast Grunge as merely a reaction to Hair Metal.

I think in addition people like to see it as people taking Rock music back from the hair metal bands and bringing some purist elements back to it and less spandex and that the pendulum simply swung the other way.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

Has hip hop got a 'grunge' equivalent? The backpackers/indie label scene? Or would the hip hop version be a dude straight spitting on a shit mic with a dj cutting up a 2 scratched up versions of Apache/Funky Drummer/Big beat etc?

I don't know the answer, but there is definitley the hip hop equivalent of hair metal.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Grunge to me sort of just sprung out of the entire post punk movement.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Whether a media creation or not, one thing "grunge" did was revive rock music as a relevant mainstream youth sound. The best example of what I mean is when WBCN, a local Boston institution and one of the oldest rock stations in the country, changed it's format from 90% "classic rock" of the Led Zep/Sabbath/Pink Floyd variety, to what they called "modern rock" and started playing 90% *new* music, mainly the northwest bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden, and of course the Pumpkins and such. What's funny is, the early-90's rock scene was so huge that now WBCN and similar stations are guilty of formatting that era of music much like they were with 70's music circa 1990 ... meaning, while they still play "new" music, a good 2/3 of their programming in 2009 is still music from the grunge era, ala Alice in Chains, Pumpkins, etc. I always wonder when the next "revolution" in mainstream rock will come, if ever.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I don't know if this is relevant or not but...

My friends and I were proto-grunge kids in the early-mid 70's. My standard look was ripped to shit jeans, timberland boots, "ironic" t-shirt (Fritz The Cat was my fave) worn under a ripped flannel shirt with none of the buttons buttoned. We listened to a mix of 60's rock and early punk. This was in upstate NY.

When I saw photos of grunge kids in the early 90's, they looked exactly like we did back then.

Yes, because true grunge equals listening to loads of Sabbath and getting fucked up to the point of laughing your brain off.

If that's not your starting point as any sort of grunge-minded person, then you are simply doing it wrong.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    But then you got all those bands saying they where influenced by alot of the 'garage' rock bands of the late 60s and early 70s...

the garage rock era was basically dead by the late 60s/early 70s

the real heyday of that sound was 1964-68

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

To me, "grunge" (at least that which I heard, I'm by no means an expert) had that slower emo quality to it. Some of it was slow, some was faster and heavier, but while punk is fast and aggressive and angry, grunge could be fast and perhaps angry but, at the end the day, was more angsty than anything else, sometimes musically and often lyrically. I'm speaking very generally of course.

How the grunge emo/angst vibe evolved from punk (or post/punk) I don't know. I'm not versed enough in either genre to speculate.

• One significant facet of the climate in the early 90s - the indie musicians wholeheartedly rejected the polished, technology-driven sounds of 80s production. Think about how hair metal, Rick Astley, Starship, and John Parr sound - tons of reverb and digital effects, midi instruments, and of course the artificial gated snare drum. The "grunge" musicians took it back to about '73, with vintage tube gear, guitars and big drum sets, recorded by dry microphones with only room sounds to give ambiance. The back-to-basics sound combined the loud excesses of early 70s arena rock with the d.i.y., anyone-can-be-in-a-band outlook of punk. I am mainly speaking on the early Sub Pop and local-level bands - if you're considering Pearl Jam and the like (major label "grunge"?) then of course their producers used tons of artificial post-production effects, just a bit more tastefully than in the 80s.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jack Endino > Butch Vig

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    This is a pretty cool interview with Carly Starr, Mark Arm and Megan Jasper of Sub Pop about the grunge days from the Red Bull Music Academy archives:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/subpop_session

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    The funny thing is that hair metal has aged better than grunge.

• The funny thing is that hair metal has aged better than grunge.

Well, everything in due time.

I see your point - hair metal sounds really good right now. It's also resonating with the kids. I've noticed college radio starting to host vintage hair metal specialty shows. And then Dee Snider hosts a nationally syndicated hair metal show that seems to be growing in popularity. Sometimes people need braggadocio and extreme displays of talent.

However, I will say that underappreciated local-level grunge, shit-rock and sludge from the early 90s is going to be ripe in a few years for collectros and nostalgia hounds. When I made that "1993" mix for waxidermy I decided to not focus on the grunge, but as I was listening thru records deciding what to put on, I was really liking some of those grunge moves. Bands like LIQUOR BIKE.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I think Marco really captured the scene that "grunge" artists came out of. To me it was the commercial flowering of college/indie rock. Take all the attitude and influences but lay it over classic rock production and sonics that appealed to masses. I have to agree it hasn't aged well for the most part. Screaming Trees are alright. I still think the best thing that came our of all that was Mudhoney's Super Fuzz Big Muff which is truly grungy in sound and theme. BTW I always thought of grunge as referring Seattle bands and their imitators. Bands like Dino Jr or the Pixies were clearly different beasts entirely.

• I think it was a combination of punk rock and classic rock ie sabbath, led zeppelin which any self respecting punk in the 70s/early 80s hated. So it took a new generation of kids who didn't have the stigma that classic rock was sell out music for grunge to come about.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I think it is a really simpler equation...hardcore kids and metal nerds discovering shit like Alice Cooper, James Gang, CCR, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Zep etc...The ethic and willful obscurity of puk fueling kids trying to write catchy, very Dazed and Confused-era rock songs with a BOC-esque sense of humor. Most were of the age to remember the antiquated idea of what a rock star was and loving and hating it at the same time It didnt really always work, but when it did it was cool.

As far as the fashion, just heshers with punker's thrift store clothes...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Whether a media creation or not, one thing "grunge" did was revive rock music as a relevant mainstream youth sound.

I offer a counter-narrative: grunge--and, in particular, Nirvana--was rock music's last grasp at relevance. A grasp which, in hindsight, was unsuccessful. Hence the deification of Nirvana as some kind of great band by rockist critics.

Sidenote: the last time I floated this theory, the one Paychex said I didn't know what I was talking about, which then prompted me to take it up a notch with the absurd declaration that I had never heard Nirvana.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    The funny thing is that hair metal has aged better than grunge.

Well, everything in due time.

I see your point - hair metal sounds really good right now. It's also resonating with the kids. I've noticed college radio starting to host vintage hair metal specialty shows. And then Dee Snider hosts a nationally syndicated hair metal show that seems to be growing in popularity. Sometimes people need braggadocio and extreme displays of talent.

However, I will say that underappreciated local-level grunge, shit-rock and sludge from the early 90s is going to be ripe in a few years for collectros and nostalgia hounds. When I made that "1993" mix for waxidermy I decided to not focus on the grunge, but as I was listening thru records deciding what to put on, I was really liking some of those grunge moves. Bands like LIQUOR BIKE.

I think it will be an interestingthing to watch the revisionism that happens with inevitable Grunge Revival in the next 10years . As opposed to Hair Metal and Disoc, the main point and message of Grunge was anti-corporate and very self aware (to a fault most woudl say). although I guess they had thier way with the Punk Rock Revival over that past 10years..so maybe it wont be that difficult. And the music of the 60's (civil rights, free-love) etc was very quickly co-opted into the greed machine, but there in lies a pretty interesting point.
    The Grunge Movement kind of liked to think of itself as alot smarter than the boomers and always liked to point out the emptiness of that generations selling out. It'll be interesting to watch this play itself out. Or am i lumping Gen X into Grunge?
    And for the record, yes, i was into grunge and am a GenXer.

I offer a counter-narrative: grunge--and, in particular, Nirvana--was rock music's last grasp at relevance.

Eh. Maybe it was a "last grasp at relevance" on the part of rock critics (many of whom were too old to fully relate to this new genre when it came about), but the bands themselves were just playing the kind of music that came natural to them. I'd venture to guess that very few of the pioneering "grunge" bands cared about any kind of relevance. In fact, most had a healthy sense of humor about the whole enterprise of rock and its trappings.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts

To me, "grunge" (at least that which I heard, I'm by no means an expert) had that slower emo quality to it. Some of it was slow, some was faster and heavier, but while punk is fast and aggressive and angry, grunge could be fast and perhaps angry but, at the end the day, was more angsty than anything else, sometimes musically and often lyrically. I'm speaking very generally of course.

How the grunge emo/angst vibe evolved from punk (or post/punk) I don't know. I'm not versed enough in either genre to speculate.

Post punk was all about taking the rebellion and angst of punk and putting it out in a more slow thick brooding approach. Emo is considered to be kind of post hardcore music starting in DC with like... sunnny day real estate and fugazi... i hate using the word post... but post punk and punk are too totally different things. I think grunge had 60s garage rock as a major influence coupled with classic punk and where punk was heading in the mid to late 80s. Grunge was a total buzzword though used to encapsulate the indie/punk/garage rock scene of the 90s though. Too big of a tent really.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I offer a counter-narrative: grunge--and, in particular, Nirvana--was rock music's last grasp at relevance.

Eh. Maybe it was a "last grasp at relevance" on the part of rock critics (many of whom were too old to fully relate to this new genre when it came about), but the bands themselves were just playing the kind of music that came natural to them. I'd venture to guess that very few of the pioneering "grunge" bands cared about any kind of relevance. In fact, most had a healthy sense of humor about the whole enterprise of rock and its trappings.

U SOUND SHAGGY.

And I concur with the above. The Sub Pop folks didn't give a shit about relevance. They just wanted to be free to ride their machines without getting hassled by the man. And they wanted to get loaded.

Side note: I discovered some Sugar Shack 7-inches in my basement a few weeks ago. That stuff still sounds great 20 years later.