I caught a BAT in my house today... for real

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
So it's 6 in the morning, i'm in bed. My wife gets up to get the kids ready for school, leaves our room, then comes back with a look of fright on her face and tells me she sees something over the door to our son's room. I ask if it's a waterbug or something and she's all like "no, it's way bigger than a waterbug and it's black!" I'm like "awww schitt, here we go." I get up and look at it and can't really tell what it is, but I tell my wife I think it's a bat. Her look of fright turns to complete horror. I tell her and the kids to stay in their rooms while I try to think what the hell to do. First thought was swat it with a broom, then I'm like naw, that's not gonna do it. So I go get my BAT (baseball bat i mean). But even that don't seem like the right move- what if I miss and it comes at me at such close quarters? I might get teh rabies or even worse i might get vampired the f**k up. So I told my wife to empty out a waste basket and cut up part of a cardboard box lid to use as a cover. I get close to the bat and i think he starts moving his head like he's looking at me. I'm like "ohh snap, he's about to fly at me!" Quickly I trap him against the wall with the waste basket and then slide the cardboard underneath, which knocks the bat off of the wall and into the waste basket (turns this was EXACTLY the right thing to do). I took it outside to the curb and take the lid off to get a good look- yep, it's a bat. Starts spreading it wings to try to fly away, but he's struggling. So I run back in the house to get a camera, but by the time I get back he's gone. Wow, what a morning! Has anybody else here ever caught a bat or other wild animal in their house? My sister-in-law once saw a racoon walking around on the 3rd floor of their crib.. how 'bout that

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yo Phill, That is CRAZY!!!!!!!!! You still live in Philly in the city right? NEVER seen a bat in the city of Seattle.

"There's a bat in my house! Batty! Batty! Batty!"

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Had to catch a tree monkey once. It was wild but didnt come in on its own. A family friend who ahd been in Tucuman - a tropical region in Argentina, bought it to our house as a gift (we were all little kids back then).

My mum wasnt really feeling it, and before she could say anything he pulls the monkey out the box, to show us. The monkey proceeds to get a whiff of freedom and breaks free and starts running sick around the house trying to escape, with 3 adults and 3 kids doing their best to catch him!

These muthafunkers can get to high places...so were trying to get him down with brooms and shit, he's pissing everywhere, our dog is going nuts.... total chaos for about an hour... till we stopped chasing him, made sure the windows where all shut and put some food out for him...soon he was all cool.

Became a great pet and very domesticate in a short period of time.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Had a 4 1/2 foot rat snake in the house a few weeks back....wife freaked.

Sounds like you had a Fruit Bat.....used to see them all the time in Brooklyn.....would find them clinging on to screen doors or in the eaves of the house....pretty harmless....but I don't want them in my home.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    This has happened to me several times in south America. They would nest in these wooden blinds called "persianas" on the upper appartment building levels where they circle arround eating insects.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    The Great Outdoors!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yo Phill, That is CRAZY!!!!!!!!! You still live in Philly in the city right? NEVER seen a bat in the city of Seattle.

yeah, i'm in the city... you actually see lots of wild animals in Philly that you might not think you'd see here. Possums and racoons getting into trash cans in the projects, big ass hawks, deer, all kinds o' schitt. A few months ago we had some birds stuck in the crawl space between the roof and 2nd floor ceiling... my wife saw them walking around on the skylight and said they looked like "colorful birds, blue-yellow-green-red colors". I don't know, my wife might have overdid the prescription meds that morning

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    wow. had a few birds but never a bat.

peace, stein. . .

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    My Godfather woke up one morning to a bear in his kitchen in Colorado. He took a giant bear-sized shit on the rug, ate some food and then walked right out the sliding door once opened.

• I just bought a bat house last weekend (I have to get it mounted somewhere on the south side of the property). It can hold 300 bats, which will do a lot to eliminate the summer mosquito problem around here.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I just bought a bat house last weekend (I have to get it mounted somewhere on the south side of the property). It can hold 300 bats, which will do a lot to eliminate the summer mosquito problem around here.

EXACTLY!!!!
    im going to do the same shit soon. first i have to get shelves in my place, but gotta have the bats. much better than mosquitos. plus, if we forge a bond, i'm hoping that the creatures of the night will carry out my evil bidding once in a while. i'll send more bats to soulmans house to pull raer out the windows

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    He took a giant bear-sized shit on the rug,

and I always thought that bears shit in the wood!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    He took a giant bear-sized shit on the rug,

and I always thought that bears shit in the wood!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    we've had bats and scorpions inside my house at least three times each that i can remember.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I've had to remove bats a couple of times. It's not that unusual for them to turn up in the city. For houses a lot of times they'll get through holes in vent grating in the attic and make their perch up there, or migrate into the house from there.

I never really got people who bashed them with stuff (i.e. baseball bats as they're more or less harmless. Although I have read if you dump them right outside your house it's likely they'll return (as they see your house as their "cave").

In my previous encounters I've scooped them up Phil-style with a piece of cardboard and a pot.

Phil you might want to investigate the outside of your house and see if you can spot where they entered (this may be tough from the ground). Best bet is that if you have an unfinished attic, go up there and check the vents/soffitts and generally around the edge where the roof meets the floor. As you know bats are small so it doesn't take a very large opening.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I just bought a bat house last weekend (I have to get it mounted somewhere on the south side of the property). It can hold 300 bats, which will do a lot to eliminate the summer mosquito problem around here.

I bought one two years ago and made sure to situate it properly (very important), but nobody's moved in yet.

This lethal bat fungus is potentially a disaster, I hope it doesn't play out that way.

• I just bought a bat house last weekend (I have to get it mounted somewhere on the south side of the property). It can hold 300 bats, which will do a lot to eliminate the summer mosquito problem around here.

I bought one two years ago and made sure to situate it properly (very important), but nobody's moved in yet.

This lethal bat fungus is potentially a disaster, I hope it doesn't play out that way.

How high up did you mount yours? The info I read said if you don't get "tenants" to wait it out for two years.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I never really got people who bashed them with stuff (i.e. baseball bats as they're more or less harmless.

yes... unless they have TEH RABIES. and they're wild animals... i can't have that in my house with my kids. believe me, i would've gotten no joy out of baseball batting that bat, but hey... if that's what i had to do his lil azz was gettin' ryan howarded. he did not have to go home but he had to leave here

Although I have read if you dump them right outside your house it's likely they'll return (as they see your house as their "cave").

i was kinda worried about that... from stuff i've read, though, the bat probably got in through some real tiny crack somewhere and the chances that his blind azz would find that crack aagain are slim. hope that's correct

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

How high up did you mount yours? The info I read said if you don't get "tenants" to wait it out for two years.

It's in a dead tree, about 20 feet up, and gets 4-6 hours of early day light, and some late day light as well. It's in a patch of woods to the side of my yard, which is maybe 1/4 mile from the nearest pond.

I'm in the Northeast, so I'm assuming when they return in the spring is when I would get them. If not, I'll try a new spot next year.