Johnny Guitar Watson question...

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
hi everybody!i am looking for a particular song by Johnny Guitar which i know from a tape that i bought in Berlin on a flea market about 12 years ago. the tape was a factory sealed compilation with his older tunes (pre-ain't that a bitch...)i dont remember the song title exactly since i lost the tape. it was something like "i'm gettin drunk" the lyrics goes like this:Oh, I'm getting drunk. I'm getitng high, and this is the reason why...does anyone recognize this song?was it ever pressed on vinyl?any little help would be apprechiated.cheers

Comments

• no clue?

thats really sad

thought there were some strutters who talk about music rather than "how far is your job from home"-bullschitt

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Hi Dr Nick

This is no record week on Soulstrut so I'm kind of breaking the rules here but are you thinking of Gettin' High?

Released on Federal in 1954. You can hear a snippet to confirm on this amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Guitar-Essential-Early-Masters/dp/B000621448

• hey, i saw ellen mcillwaine preform a couple of weeks ago and she did a johnny guitar watson tune but its was re-arranged completely.

it had the word "motherfucker" in there somewhere...any help?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    hey, i saw ellen mcillwaine preform a couple of weeks ago and she did a johnny guitar watson tune but its was re-arranged completely.

Well, Watson did do a song (in his pimp-funk years) called "A Real Mother For Ya." Sounds like either Ms. McIllwaine added a cuss word, or you heard it differently? Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also...I'm not a fan, really, but Ellen McIllwaine is still performing?

As big as her cult is, she could afford to stage a full-on comeback right now.

• hey, i saw ellen mcillwaine preform a couple of weeks ago and she did a johnny guitar watson tune but its was re-arranged completely.

Well, Watson did do a song (in his pimp-funk years) called "A Real Mother For Ya." Sounds like either Ms. McIllwaine added a cuss word, or you heard it differently? Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also...I'm not a fan, really, but Ellen McIllwaine is still performing?

As big as her cult is, she could afford to stage a full-on comeback right now.

thanks, i'll check that one.

she never stopped preforming, and she is in full command of her talents. one of the best guitar players and singers i have ever seen. we saw her in a tiny church with about 40 other people.

after the show, we went backstage to talk to her and get some records signed and she told me that polydor refused to re-release her albums or sell them to her for a reasonable price and that she was only able to print up a few hundred of her latest cd because she had just got her tax return back. in other words, she is far being rich. she told me about settling out of court with fatboy slim but i don;t think that was such a windfall.

i tried to tell her that there is a worldwide cult of people who love her music and she seemed to be faintly aware of that but anyhow. i learned so much about singing and playing fro that concert, it was a real education. but i couldn;t help walking away and feeling that something in this world is not right when someone with that much talent and ability has to scrounge just to make it over.