retna and the mac [LA RELATED]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
i just slapped this lil promo ditty together for our retna and the mac show this sunday, june 7th. live painting, installation, music, and shitty bbq. i feel like i wan play records at this thing, oldies of course.

retna and the mac gallery promo from shig macbatches on Vimeo.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm pretty sure El Mac's from Phoenix. NG crew!

But man, those two together = unmesswit'able

Mac's (ex?) girl is dope too. Can't remember her name.

I'll have to post a pic of my Mac chola shirt I bought from him a few years ago when I get home, hoLmes.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I snapped this with my celly a few years back.

Street Tech

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I wish I could come Shig. I love Retna and Mac's stuff. Wonderful work.

- spidey

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    should be interesting. whatever they do will be up for at least a month.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    should be interesting. whatever they do will be up for at least a month.

you already know I'm gonna hit you up...F*ck I need to be in LA. add to the care package for me, pleeeeeeeez. hahaha

That's a dope little video, Shig! You shoot the footage too? What program did you put it together with?

I'll have to post a pic of my Mac chola shirt I bought from him a few years ago when I get home, hoLmes.

im getting pretty decent at the adobe thing. it only took me 45 minutes to figure out the frame grab dealie.

anyways, this is from a commissioned thing they did at this swanky penthouse. u can prolly see the finished piece on their websites.

Mac's new style with them crazy strokes is SICK AS FICK!

i'll verify this weekend but im pretty sure thats all with spraycan.

It IS! That's what's so crazy about it!

HoLmes has mastered that like no other!

That's a dope little video, Shig! You shoot the footage too? What program did you put it together with?

thanks dude! i used adobe premiere. shot from midcity through ktown to pico union. dude, i gotta be honest, this shit is FUN! just messing around with the computer thing and shooting through some of my favorites parts of la.

It IS! That's what's so crazy about it!

Save me a souvenir or something!

working late. well, im not really working...

b/w

Do they ice their cans?! Is that how dudes get down these days??

mac used spraypaint. retna used brushes. icing the cans lowers the pressure of the compressed gas in the cans making the paint come out of the can at a slower rate. how that allows him to make his stuff is well beyond my means of understanding tho. im not an expert on graffiti or painting. im just nerdy.

kofie and codak are in town for another show so i think someone called them up cuz now theyre gon paint in the backyard too. live.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    dope. is there gonna be a gallery up for artwork for sale?

just the one big piece. they didnt want to clutter up the gallery with stuff. were gonna sell prints behind the counter too, but this show is more about paying respect to folks who have passed.

I was *this* close to buying a Curtis painting that Kofie did a few years ago. Some other dude beat me to it by literally 5 seconds. I have the print instead.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Mac continues, “I painted the figure and Retna did all the rest. Retna’s lettering in the background is from a pre-Hispanic Nahuatl/Azteca poem:

Must I go like the flowers that perish?
    Will nothing remain of my name?
    Nothing of my fame here on Earth?
    At least my flowers, at least my songs.
    Earth is the region of the fleeting moment.

WOW.. these guys are killing it!

- spidey

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    can you post images of the print with dimensions when you get it. i'm interested. thank you.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    wicked stuff. So if you ice the cans less gas and more paint comes out correct ?

more pics

http://www.knowngallery.com/tag/themac

they brought prints to sell. you can prolly see most of those on their respective sites. i dont think we're making prints of the actual piece. its a memorial for a writer that passed away right on the block.

looks like they came by yesterday on my day off to touch up their backyard piece...