what color are your dress/work shoes?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Brown?or Black?me = brown.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    BLACK

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Black Clarks. Used to be Black Birkenstock clogs for the kitchen.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    BLACK

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    my JO's match my velour sweatsuit?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Grey

• but brown

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Black, when wearing black belt and watch with black band; brown, when wearing brown belt and watch with brown band.

All of which are dictated by the colors of my shirt/suit/tie.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Wine today. Caramel yesterday. Probably black licorice tomorrow.

With a belt to match.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    black.

peace, stein. . .

CousinLarry, what are you wearing those grey ones with? Dress slacks? I gotta have shine most of the time.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    CousinLarry, what are you wearing those grey ones with? Dress slacks? I gotta have shine most of the time.

They don't go with everything, if worn with light colored pants it looks like your wearing footy PJs. I'm wearing brown cotton pants that have a really faint herringbone type pattern.

• Options
    Black, when wearing black belt and watch with black band; brown, when wearing brown belt and watch with brown band.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

brown today

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

It's obvious that you wouldn't wear a brown belt with black shoes and vice versa, however, the color of your watch band/shirt/tie....and in most occasions suit, should not dictate whether you wear black or brown shoes.

I wear a suit 5 days a week and haven't worn black shoes in years. My suits don't cover the rainbow like craig sager, but as far as the business standards go (grey/blue/brown), you can get away without black shoes. black is more conservative though...and brown shoes with a suit for business can only go so light.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

brown today

So much wrong there. Shoes are scuffed as hell. Those colors and materials are way out of season.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

brown today

So much wrong there. Shoes are scuffed as hell. Those colors and materials are way out of season.

Oh I know. I am way overdue for some new shoes and clothes.

• Black, when wearing black belt and watch with black band; brown, when wearing brown belt and watch with brown band.

Exactly-

stay away from square toed. they go in and out of style for casual dress and you really can't ever wear them for business or formal wear.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Work shoes are all kinds of colors. I work at a software company with no real dress code. It is very casual in the office. I wear Air Max 90s or 95s of AF1s every day. My shoes always match my Polo shirt. Dress shoes are black or brown Gucci.

stay away from square toed. they go in and out of style for casual dress and you really can't ever wear them for business or formal wear.

Do people really look at you funny or comment when you don't follow these "rules?" Or is it more of a personal fashion comfort thing? I'm being serious.

Personally, I subscribe to the thought that if it looks good to me, it looks good to me. I don't care if it was last year's style or whatever. As long as it's not some played-out silly trend, of course. But I ask because there have been times where I'll step out the house with some dress socks that don't quite match and - even though no one will see them but me - it kinda messes up my day.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    It's summer time, I'm rocking flip flops.

• Oh I know. I am way overdue for some new shoes and clothes.

stay away from square toed.

played-out silly trend, of course.

It's obvious that you wouldn't wear a brown belt with black shoes and vice versa, however, the color of your watch band/shirt/tie....and in most occasions suit, should not dictate whether you wear black or brown shoes.

Dude, this is SoulStrut--it is not at all obvious. Dispute that watchband need not match the shoes--this is essential. I will go with brown shoes whenever possible, because I think it's a warmer look, but black shoes are a must when I want to wear a watch with a black band. And if the 'fit has any greens to it, I think black shoes are usually the better choice.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Do people really look at you funny or comment when you don't follow these "rules?" Or is it more of a personal fashion comfort thing? I'm being serious.

Personally, I subscribe to the thought that if it looks good to me, it looks good to me. I don't care if it was last year's style or whatever. As long as it's not some played-out silly trend, of course. But I ask because there have been times where I'll step out the house with some dress socks that don't quite match and - even though no one will see them but me - it kinda messes up my day.

the rule is that you should try to get your money's worth by wearing something that isn't subject to trends and won't make you look foolish. people have been wearing rounded toed dress shoes forever....square toes are ugly imo, but are also not steadily on shelves year to year.

i'm sure years ago dudes were buying bell bottom suits (my dad has some) thinking, like you, that it looks good to them, so who cares.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    I used to work in a corporate laboratory[/b] with no real dress code. I wore Air Max 90s or 95s or AF1s every day.

Now I work in a hazardous materials facility and I'm required to rock these:

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

Exactly-

yeah, you gotta have both depending on what colors your wearing...You also need to have a dark brown and a lighter brown option

• chasechase 767 Posts
    my uncle nearly yelled at me once wearing brown shoes with grey pants... once you know the rules, you loose a little respect for people who don't follow them.

a decent pair of both brown and black is a must, belt to match.. I don't wear a watch..

my uncle nearly yelled at me once wearing brown shoes with grey pants... once you know the rules, you loose a little respect for people who don't follow them.

Except this is not at all a rule.

Brown shoes with black pants = strictly prohibited

Brown shoes with grey pants = generally not a problem

Brown shoes with grey pants = generally not a problem

yep, right now i'm wearing a grey suit with these shoes: