Emergency XP help needed! (computer crash related)

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
My computer won't start!it does the usual ram-check, detects the keyboard etc.then i get a dos screen asking me in whic mode i want to run my XP: safe, safe + network, safe + prompt, last succesfull configuration or "normal" windows. whichever of the options i choose, the screen gives the xp loading thing after which it turns black and stalls.[/b] I dunno what to do, using a friends computer to ask this question.... all help welcome!

Comments

• spcspc 534 Posts
    My computer won't start!

it does the usual ram-check, detects the keyboard etc.

then i get a dos screen asking me in whic mode i want to run my XP: safe, safe + network, safe + prompt, last succesfull configuration or "normal" windows.

whichever of the options i choose, the screen gives the xp loading thing after which it turns black and stalls.[/b]

I dunno what to do, using a friends computer to ask this question.... all help welcome!

If some needed xp system files are corrupted, which seems obvious, try to insert the xp installation cd and try automatic system repair.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    start up from scratch hitting F8 like a fucker...may allow your machine to get the safe mode option to respond. gl

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    My computer won't start!

then i get a dos screen asking me in whic mode i want to run my XP: safe, safe + network, safe + prompt, last succesfull configuration or "normal" windows.

whichever of the options i choose, the screen gives the xp loading thing after which it turns black and stalls.[/b]

I dunno what to do, using a friends computer to ask this question.... all help welcome!

If some needed xp system files are corrupted, which seems obvious, try to insert the xp installation cd and try automatic system repair.

cosign.

id try doing the 'F8' way first, and boot into 'safe mode' and then restart. if it doesn't boot up properly after doing this, insert your XP disc and do a sys repair.

keep us posted...

• My computer won't start!

cosign.

id try doing the 'F8' way first, and boot into 'safe mode' and then restart. if it doesn't boot up properly after doing this, insert your XP disc and do a sys repair.

keep us posted...

Haven't got an XP cd (you know why), so i've downloaded Ultimate Boot CD 4 (which seems to come highly recommended) and Knoppix if i can't get the first one to work...

gonna start w/ F8 though. Anyone know if you could use a real XP cd to boot / sys repair an "unreal" one?

Ta.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    a real XP cd should work, they are all built the same, so i would try that.

also with the F8, it may be a different 'function' key on your computer, some other brands of PCs can be F10 or F12, so just hit around if F8 doesnt work the first time...

not sure about the Boot CD Software, but anythings worth a shot...

good luck.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Is it a Dell computer? I recently had problems with my Dell and there's some hidden recover options you can run w/o using Windows.

• ...after a whole day of trying various things, i threw in the towel and just brought my computer into the shop i bought it. They told me that they should be able to recover all my ish...

looks like i'm going to be w/ out a computer for over a week (they're busy) and then i have to reinstall all my programs, etc...

BONUS
    Found out how addicted i am to the damn thing

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    and then i have to reinstall all my programs, etc...

This can be a blessing in disguise. A fresh windows install does wonders for a computer's performance. Get your shit all streamlined.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    if you try safemode and it gives you the list of drivers it's loading, and hangs on one that's *agp*.dll (something with agp in it) write it down and let me know, this problem has been around for a minute and a few people I know (dell mostly) and myself (notfuckingwithdell) have had this problem.

and yeah, any xp cd should let you do the repair feature which is a quick fix.

• and yeah, any xp cd should let you do the repair feature which is a quick fix.

It didn't

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    sorry just read that you took it in, but dang, it should of if it was the right service pack...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Is it a Dell computer?

For Dell heads that may have trouble. I discovered a little secret that helps you if you have a Dell Computer and it won't boot up Windows.

1. When the Dell logo pops up hit F12 to enter BIOS setup.
    2. Find the keyboard error reporting option and disable it.
    3. Exit BIOS and save.
    4. Reboot.
    5. When the Dell Logo is up hold down CTRL and then press F11 and release both at the same time.

This will bring you to a recover screen that will repair your Windows files. I doubt it works on anything except Dell computers. Figured I share it just in case.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    sounds like a problem with your video card overheating or needing to be reseated, but i guess it's too late for that..

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    If you couldn't get into safe mode. You were fucked. Back up the hard drive. Reinstall windows. I'd like to know how much the repair shop charged you.

- spidey

• Turns out my processor / motherboard / ram are all FRIED. Looking at $400 of costs... damn. Please to be on the lookout for my emergency set sale in the sales department of the strut!

• Please to be on the lookout for my emergency set sale in the sales department of the strut!

Holla at me with Jazz !!!