Travel-Strut: Morocco?

ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
The soon-to-be Mrs.ToccuDomu and I will be honeymooning in Morocco in a few weeks, and while we???ve gotten the basic skinny from a Berber friend, I thought I would check in with Travel-Strut to see if anyone here had any recommendations.Our plans thus far are a loop around the Middle Atlas, with no planned stops on the coast: Marrakech>Mekenes/Volubilis>Fez, then over the mountains, into the desert, and back to Marrakech via Erfoud. This isn???t set in stone, though. We travel light, take things as they come. The point of this trip is seeing sights and eating food. Records are not a priority, but I???d really like to see some live music while we are there. What says the Travel-Strut?

Comments

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    As directed over from the other thread.

I caught the ferry from La Linea to Tangier (which is a shithole - don't bother other than to transit), then headed down to Fez which was really kind of cool and well worth it - try and stay somewhere in the medina.

Then went down to Erfoud/Risanni and out into the desert. Stayed at an auberge in the desert and trekked out on a camel from there for a couple of days with some Spanish dudes I met on the side of the road in Risanni. That was really a highlight, treking during the day and sitting around at night eating good food and drinking tea. This is a must do.

After that we went across to Tinerhir and checked out the gorge there which was pretty amazing. I would have liked more time there but it wasn't to be. After that to Marrakech for the day then onto Casablanca to fly out.

In reality I would have loved an extra week or so towards the end as I got a bit squeezed for time.

Hope this is useful. To be honest I don't think you can go too far wrong in a country like Morocco, I'd love to get back there at some stage and fill in a few of the gaps.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    As directed over from the other thread....

Hope this is useful. To be honest I don't think you can go too far wrong in a country like Morocco, I'd love to get back there at some stage and fill in a few of the gaps.

Great - useful indeed - many thanks. I'd heard the same thing about Tangier (as well as Casablanca - did you feel the same?). I'd also heard that many of the coastal towns were essentially playgrounds for European Holidaymakers, and worth skipping given our interests.

Glad to hear the desert trek is an imperative, as we had already planned on it. Found a place in the medina in Marrakech, hoping to walk into something similar in Fez.

Will my infantile French be useful, or should I try to (butcher) Moroccan Arabic with a phrasebook?

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    There are hundreds of pretty reasonable guesthouse type joints in the Medina in Fes, so not real need to plan in advance.

I only really skipped through Casa so can't really offer an opinion. But everyone I've spoken to says generally don't bother.

Yeah French will be useful - You are probably better off with basic French than you are trying to hack your way around in Arabic.

There are a few photos in this set if you're interested:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33010733@N07/sets/72157610924290652/