HUMMER Sold! (GM - R)

SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
A day after it filed for bankruptcy protection, General Motors said Tuesday that it had reached a deal to sell its Hummer brand of large trucks.G.M. did not disclose the buyer???s name or the price. It said the deal would save about 3,000 jobs in the United States, including those at its 153 domestic dealerships, and that Hummer would remain based in the United States.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/03/business/03auto.html?_r=1&ref=businessOk, I really want to know who thinks this brand will be viable in the long term?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• Seriously, f*ck those things. Every nuevo riche f*cktard near where I live drives one of those hideous tanks. Ultimate indicator that the person behind the wheel has status issues.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    U sound like u hate America!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I thought the title meant that GM actually sold a Hummer. Like one vehicle.

Considering the economy, I still thought that was pretty newsworthy.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Seriously, f*ck those things. Every nuevo riche f*cktard near where I live drives one of those hideous tanks. Ultimate indicator that the person behind the wheel has status issues.

Seriously though, I worked for a customer service outsourcer on a GM contract (a real low point in my work life). I thought Cadillac customers were pretty insufferable but Hummer calls were the worst. Self-important, entitled f*cktards all.

I got to see the complete dysfunction of GM from the inside. The bubble that GM management lived in was ever apparent every time a notice came down on how to market their gas-guzzlers against the competition from Japan and Europe. They just didn't get it.

Meh.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    there is a brokedown appt in my hood that has a spanking new hummer parked in the back a couple of times of week
    along with the double camera surveillance and people detaching and reattaching car doors my hood is full of stashhouses

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Do they manufacture Humvees apart from Hummers? The military needs Humvees and hopefully they didn't just sell it off to some foreign company.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Do they manufacture Humvees apart from Hummers? The military needs Humvees and hopefully they didn't just sell it off to some foreign company.

yes, Hummers are not Humvees...in fact I believe the Hummer uses the Suburban frame, and Suburban innards...its is basically a Suburban with different panels and a different interior.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Thats a goood question. last thing we need is GIs driving around in some made in china shit.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Ok, I really want to know who thinks this brand will be viable in the long term?

Pinto related

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    So they were sold to a Chinese company.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Maybe Chrysler bought Hummer.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Maybe The Coalition of Douchebags[/b] bought Hummer.

Humvees are produced by a GM subsidiary AM General. In the history of the military Humvee you will notice that two Chinese manufacturers make a version for the Chinese military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Mobility_Multipurpose_Wheeled_Vehicle

For more on AM General see the following

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_General

I have no idea how the GM bankruptcy affects this company.

The commercial Hummer is like a movie based upon the book. Its a completely different beast.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    that's what she said....and then I paid her...
    Prostitauctions

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Maybe The Coalition of Douchebags[/b] bought Hummer.

google-image-search-related.

We welcome our new Chinese overlords:

General Motors Corp. has struck a deal to sell its Hummer truck unit to a Chinese industrial business, the two companies confirmed Tuesday.

Privately owned Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company Ltd., based in China, will acquire the truck brand, which has been part of GM since 1999. Tengzhong said it plans to keep Hummer's management team.

"We plan to ... allow Humer to innovate and grow in exciting new ways under the leadership and continuity of its current management team," said Yang Yi, chief executive of Tengzhong.

LINK: money.cnn.com

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Thats a goood question. last thing we need is GIs driving around in some made in china shit.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    willie_fugal, if i had to pluck an image out of my mind to describe the average hummer driver where i am from, that would be better than the picture i could imagine