San Diego Strutters

hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I will be in San Diego this weekend and was hoping for advice on food spots ( any cuisine as long as its good) and places to go to at night -Strut related music-. Also, I will be going with a lady, what are the best beaches that are on the secluded tip ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    EDIT:

Mexican:
    -Mariscos German Taco truck (35th and University, see u there)
    -Lucha Libre Taco shop (potato rolled tacos)
    -El Comal (mmm)
    I'm sure JimBeam or Cbear can add an extensive Mexican joint rundown....

"better" food spots, most of these are in my hood in north park/hillcrest/uni heights:

-Urban Solace
    -Jaynes Gastropub (axelrod on speaker system haha!)
    -Farmhouse Cafe (just tried their dinner, was excellent)
    -Blind Lady Alehouse (pizza and beer and beer)
    -Hash House A Go Go (on a weekday morning like I did yesterday with the lady, split a scramble or hash and their bloody mary is a must...Long wait on weekend mornings)

Drinks in my hood and beyond:
    -The Office (happy hour is perfect, it's dark, some locals, dance party on Sat. isn't bad at all)
    -Ch1ve (in the gaslamp, and any of the other restaurants owned by the same group)
    -U-31 (dance party/bar)
    -AC Lounge ("older" dance party but cool interior)
    -Whistlestop (dive-y kids bar, sat dance party)
    -Bar Pink (owned by John Reis of RFTC fame, dive-y)
    -Livewire (super dive-y stumble posse, awesome jukebox, holler if you head there, I will fall off the barstools: [Email]mylatency2@gmail.com)[/Email]
    -True North (full of douchebros and douchestaff but hot girls working the bar and good for screens if u watch NBA or baseball, kinda douchetastic without having to venture into PB...bar food menu, I ain't complaining)

Gaslamp is full of douchetastic places, Hard Rock Hotel, Ivy, etc etc etc, your girl can get her dance on, it's difficult to deal with the people down there sometimes so it's only good if you are blitzed or rollin in a crew or something, blah....I personally like Altitude cos of the view overlooking Petco but drinks are expensive of course

I would recommend checking a Padres game just to walk around Petco and check it out, tix and deals are to be had as the Padres have been spotty this year....

the beaches are a bit cloudy in the mornings due to the yearly marine layer of may/june gloom so aim for the afternoons, there aren't a bunch of secluded beaches (I'm not really a beach head) but um black's? haha

I'll let the others chime in for night/music recommendations.

You need records? ;-)

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    in terms of food, i live in the bay so good sd mexican would be ideal. i know there's a so cal/nor cal debate about what's better, but truth be told, i prefer so cal mexican (grew up in la related). but i am into all kinds of food, chinese, thai, vietnamese, italian, mediterranean eats.

yea, i am cool on recs because i really wont have the time. just want to soak some sun, hit some cool nightspots with good music and eat well . but yeah some nightspot and food recommendations would be ideal. from what i hear from all the bayfolks its all douchebro central out there, but i am sure there are some cool spots as well, probably just have to live there. any knowledge would be appreciated !

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    yeah food options are kind of limitless, what do you and your lady like in particular?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of good san diego beaches.

http://www.sandiego.org/article_set/Visitors/5

My favorites include:

La Jolla Cove - Not really a beach (since the sea lions have taken over the place), but got's some great scenery, mixed in with high-end boutiques and restaurants. If you snorkel or scuba, this would be the place in SD.

La Jolla beaches - there are a bunch of beaches south of the La Jolla Cove, including Scripps/La Jolla Pier, Windansea, Bird Rock, etc. Some are crowded, some are secluded. You'll definitely find something you'll like. Tons of cool restaurants as you drive down La Jolla Boulevard.

Blacks in La Jolla - Like Mylatency said, this place is secluded becuase it's like a 15 minute walk down stairs from the parking lot. This is where the nude sunbathers hang (ie old gay freeballers).

Pacific Beach/Mission Beach - This is the area if you want to check out the Becky/Chad scene in San Diego. Lots of college age kids, lots of beach-front bars, etc. Not secluded but crowded.

Coronado Beach - This is pretty much family oriented beach, nice and calm, no waves. I suggest taking the ferry from the downtown harbor near airport to Coronado. Pretty chill and beautiful place, also with lots of boutique and good restaurants.

Beachs in Del Mar (Solana/Encinitas) - These are pretty cool too. More beach/surf culture up there.

As for music spots, lots of Becky/Chad hangout and wannabee upscale "miami-type" joints.

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    nice. thanks for the knowledge mylatency. much appreciated

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    secluded beach: coronado
    good beach on a weekday (not weekends!!) where there's plenty of bars around: mission beach
    best mexican in SD, imo (also in Mission Beach): http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-playa-taco-shop-san-diego
    records: no records
    best place to take the lady for dinner if you want to blow her mind in san diego: http://www.yelp.com/biz/laurel-restaurant-san-diego
    or just a bit to the north, in la jolla: http://www.yelp.com/biz/georges-at-the-cove-la-jolla
    and if cost is no object and you like french cuisine: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bertrand-at-mister-as-san-diego
    (serious facemelt on that one)

co-sign on livewire to get plastered. that place hurts.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    laurel is closing soon tho, they opening a new joint
    IMHO Laurel wasn't blowing any ladies' minds but it was nice
    crazy interior tho, gotta give em that

one more destination: take the lady to Balboa Park and walk around, lounge, do a picnic whatevs, always a good chill yet tourist-y spot without the chaos of Sea World or downtown

Torrey Pines beach is good if you wanna hike around & chill...