Sample headache - I should know this one!

TomOTomO 169 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
It's killing me - I really should know what was sampled for Pharcyde's 'Somethin That Means Somethin', but I can't think what the sample(s) are when I listen to it. Can somebody please put me out of my misery?Thanks,Tom

Comments

• Options

b/w

Hope that helps.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's killing me - I really should know what was sampled for Pharcyde's 'Somethin That Means Somethin', but I can't think what the sample(s) are when I listen to it.

Funny, that was one of the 12"s I bought from the album, and listening to the instrumental thru headphones was the first time I thought "this Jay Dee guy is sick with it".

The way that beat is constructed is so funky and clever, but you don't really notice it when you listen to the vocal version. I'm 95% sure it's not a straight loop. It sounds like it's made up of small snippets from different parts of a song (or even completely different songs). I'm curious about it too.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts

b/w

Hope that helps.

No, it doesn't really. I can usually ID samples from my records without having to go anywhere near the-breaks.com but I checked that before asking here; it's not on there... (as far as I can tell).

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    dudes, it's from a live version of Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard.

the reason it sounds so familiar is cos Tribe sampled a version by Jack Wilkins on 'Sucka N*gga'