"The Road" Movie (Cormack McCarthy related)

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
i'm pretty excited about this...looks like they took some liberties with the plot tho

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I want to see this but the book had me shook. Rough going for anyone who has kids especially...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    From what I read they expanded the wife's role. Which might not be a bad thing, but it would be tough to top the book.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    One of the most powerful things about the book, was the ambiguity of what happened to the world. that leaves the audience left with their imaginations, and at a time like now, is just horrifying. the same way polanski never showed you rosemary's baby.

i hope the movie doesnt try to explain.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    was that Omar?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    was that Omar?

Oh, Indeed.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The book scared the shit out of me.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    One of the most powerful things about the book, was the ambiguity of what happened to the world. that leaves the audience left with their imaginations, and at a time like now, is just horrifying. the same way polanski never showed you rosemary's baby.

i hope the movie doesnt try to explain.

agreed.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I thought the earlier trailers made it look like typical action-y schitt. I am mad suspect right now, though I trust Vigo...

That said, I may never see this, as I think the book is one of the most powerful and beautiful things I've ever read. "For surely, if this child was not the voice of god, god had never spoken."

or

we're the good guys.
    right.
    and, we're carrying the fire.
    right.

I mean, really. McCarthy was hunting bigger game with that book. He was quoted once as saying, "If you aren't writing about death, you aren't really writing." And, we can debate that in another thread. But, when the death involved is all of society, you are CLEARLY REALLY writing.

• rayray 77 Posts
    I've tempered my expectations...I don't see them doing justice to the book.

I'm even less excited about the adaptation of Blood Meridian that's supposedly in development. Truly one of the most wonderfully written novels of the last century...Far superior to The Road and far more difficult to translate into a satisfying film...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I've tempered my expectations...I don't see them doing justice to the book.

I'm even less excited about the adaptation of Blood Meridian that's supposedly in development. Truly one of the most wonderfully written novels of the last century...Far superior to The Road and far more difficult to translate into a satisfying film...

Blood Meridian is a better book, and far more ambitious.

I like The Road more, on a personal level, though.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    This book is the truth. Trailer's got way too much color in it.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

Blood Meridian is a better book, and far more ambitious.

I like The Road more, on a personal level, though.

I agree with this fully.

--

"He was quoted once as saying, 'If you aren't writing about death, you aren't really writing.'"

Not a big deal, but I think it was more like "life AND death."

The trailer doesn't look bad. That kid has the most difficult role, and frankly I'm not holding my breath. The Nick Cave music could work, though.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm scurrrrrred.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    the internets are going crazy about the Weinstein Company's inclusion of disaster footage at the beginning and Charlize f*cking Theron being the 1st thing you see.

The book really hit home with me, it was a harrowing read and it still haunts me: they will get my bum on a set for this.

A lot of talk about the scheduling (its a year late) and (positive) comments from Viggo Mortensen are all over the blogs as well.

F*ck that book was heavy.

• bbump...
    jus thinking the oother day how clever the trailer was. made it look like a non stop action feud between vigo and the cannibals when it was really just him and the boy with a couple flashes of violence

great movie!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    tripledouble said:

great movie!

yeah, I really dug both the film and the book. Just wished the run time was a bit longer.
    I could have sat in the theater all day watching it.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I watched the movie this past November, knowing nothing other than there being a post-apocalyptic setting. It was just too bleak and depressing for me. A very, very tough watch.

Kindly,
    parallax

• I loved the movie but the book was incredible, I teared up at times and was shook for a few days after. Heavy dreams.

I watched War Horse on Ketamine yesterday, which I think is the only way I could have gotten through it.