DAVID RODIGAN SOUNDCLASH

RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central

peep around 4:18. i got lost on youtube and wound up on this.... david rodigan is just a beeeeeast. tenor saw plates !!! i once went to a kilimanjaro soundclash... it was nothing like this.

Comments

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    roddy is the best, here's one of my faves

ps, where was the kilimanjaro soundclash?
    have you heard kilimanjaro remembers garnett silk? soooo good.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    the clash i went to was here in boston, not far from my house.. spot called 3c's which is gone now.

heavy,heavy, security in the grove hall section. bulletproof plastic window ticket box office...you know the deal. no guns, but tons of m-80s.
    the bass was so big, lighters were blown out... no lie. 2 guys i knew went up.. bigga mention and travel fox. needless to say they lost, hard.

my taxi ride back to bk from apt last month... the driver was a dj in the early / mid 80s.. grew up with beres hammond.. had crazzzzzy stories... supercat " him a baad man, wicked man". grew up with him, knew his family etc. his boys have shops in bk and bx. was mad cool, he didnt think i knew anything about reggae i guess... so when i ran titles he was amped.
    thing about boston is we have the 2nd largest west indian parade, bk's being first.... lots of records here.

id love to go to a clash with rodigan vs. any of the top 3 sounds.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Rodigan is the dude but that Jimmy Cliff dub is HEAVY. That's a tight call... Rodigan beat Father Downbeat with that Golden Hen dub a few years back here in BK. Serious business.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    In what alternate universe does a Jimmy Cliff dub get a forward over a Tenor Saw dub?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I met Rodigan once in the late 90's.

Nice guy. True story.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    sounds like a great show kon. i would have liked to see jaro live but some of the more rude stage shows nowadays are not my style anymore. i won't go without my boyfriend. but in 97 i went to a sounclash in which supercat won big in bk at the old 12 tribes hq house way out on linden blvd. they tented the yard and it went on til sunrise. i initially went to hear jolly joseph spin, he was a selector who lived there and was killed in the late 90's in front of a deli by a stray bullet when he went to go get popsicles one night for some of the kids at the house. anyway, it was one of the best live shows i have ever witnessed. the standard of sound and performance is beyond.
    roddy comes to the us once a year, he was in philly last year but i didn't make it down.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Rodigan regularly plays once a year in my town with the soundsystem i play with once a month (small axe). he is that dude. nuthin but dubplate business.

sounds like a great show kon. i would have liked to see jaro live but some of the more rude stage shows nowadays are not my style anymore. i won't go without my boyfriend. but in 97 i went to a sounclash in which supercat won big in bk at the old 12 tribes hq house way out on linden blvd. they tented the yard and it went on til sunrise. i initially went to hear jolly joseph spin, he was a selector who lived there and was killed in the late 90's in front of a deli by a stray bullet when he went to go get popsicles one night for some of the kids at the house. anyway, it was one of the best live shows i have ever witnessed. the standard of sound and performance is beyond.
    roddy comes to the us once a year, he was in philly last year but i didn't make it down.

yea, not sure if id go unless im with the right ppl, and im not a big fan of alot of the uptempo dancehall with all the yelling i hear today. im more in step with i wayne.
    that show you went to sounds like it was proper.

cosmo, while that jimmy cliff is no joke, to follow up that plate of tenor saw... you had to pull out your best.
    im going with david, to have a ring the alarm like that.... whaaaat ! what an intro...they ran like 2 seconds of it at that.
    shame tenor saw doesnt have more material. sort of like biggie.

how can one find out where and when rodigan is coming to the states ?

now ive got to make an mp3 request.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    That looks very cool, and Rodigan looks like someone's Uncle Fred (but then so do I these days). Can someone deeper into the reggae thing explain the format to me. Are these DJs bringing their own remixes??

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    In what alternate universe does a Jimmy Cliff dub get a forward over a Tenor Saw dub?

old heads

(poasting from the old head outpost)

• There was a great tenor saws "interview" lp that I should find in the stacks. If you haven't heard that it's a must- Tenor saw talking about english girls, how he found his voice- they even drop in some live performances and some adlib a capellas. One little snippet I always remember of a little dude singing with tenor saw a hard version of careless whisper.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That looks very cool, and Rodigan looks like someone's Uncle Fred (but then so do I these days). Can someone deeper into the reggae thing explain the format to me. Are these DJs bringing their own remixes??

Basically the idea of the "clash" is to see what DJ can drop the heaviest tune, and so they go and enlist artists to "voice" their own custom dubs which can be used in battle. It's deeper than that but yeah, they're custom one of a kind records that these DJs create specifically for these sound clashes. So Rodigan can drop the Tenor Saw jawn which is crazy cause dude is dead. It's hard to respond to that, but "dub for dub" you'll hear DJs "counteract" by using dubs by the same artists or dissing dubs using the same riddims and shit. It's heavy shit.

And yeah Kon I know that Golden Hen jawn is superdutytoughwork for sure, not saying the Jimmy Cliff is better, but that's a tough dub IMO.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Go to JA with a couple of grand, and artists will record for you. It's a big part of how they actually make money from the game.

Basically the idea of the "clash" is to see what DJ can drop the heaviest tune, and so they go and enlist artists to "voice" their own custom dubs which can be used in battle. It's deeper than that but yeah, they're custom one of a kind records that these DJs create specifically for these sound clashes. So Rodigan can drop the Tenor Saw jawn which is crazy cause dude is dead. It's hard to respond to that, but "dub for dub" you'll hear DJs "counteract" by using dubs by the same artists or dissing dubs using the same riddims and shit. It's heavy shit.

And yeah Kon I know that Golden Hen jawn is superdutytoughwork for sure, not saying the Jimmy Cliff is better, but that's a tough dub IMO.

Heavy shit indeed! Taking the one-of-a-kind-isms of dj competition to an entirely new level.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Heavy shit indeed! Taking the one-of-a-kind-isms of dj competition to an entirely new level.

Yeah like homie said it's a huge part of the reggae DJ game. That's how really big soundsystems get their name really. I got a few cool dubs but nothing like crazy from HUGE artists, unlike a lot of friends of mine

truuue truuue. tie !

whats really good tho is the fact that to this day, 15 different people will voice the same old/new riddim, and have some amazing results. it really is like battling for the title without the clash.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

truuue truuue. tie !

whats really good tho is the fact that to this day, 15 different people will voice the same old/new riddim, and have some amazing results. it really is like battling for the title without the clash.

Personally I think THIS sons the Tenor Saw dub...

roddy is the best, here's one of my faves

ps, where was the kilimanjaro soundclash?
    have you heard kilimanjaro remembers garnett silk? soooo good.

That's amazing!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The wildest shit about the clashes I think is the fact that the dudes don't ever really play the record. I mean they'll play like the first 10 seconds of the record on some "Hahah check what I GOT hahah...." shit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    They playing actual dubplates these days? I thought I saw some CDJ decks in one of those videos.

Also, if they're only playing snippets, how long do the clashes last? And what happens if the contestants go to the same artists for exclusives??

truuue truuue. tie !

Personally I think THIS sons the Tenor Saw dub...

ooooooooooo heavy... bo bo bo bo bo !

supercat is alive, sons is harsh, on par for me.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    And what happens if the contestants go to the same artists for exclusives??

Well, to start with, you need to have lots of money. Contacts. Plus a name in the clash game to get the big names/tunes.

If there is say a recent big tune, rather than just getting the artist to rerecord it exactly (same vocal same riddim, but just dropping in the systems name), it can have a bigger impact if you get a bit creative and put a different riddim underneath. This also guarantees an exclusive. (which is the name of the game)
    It's all done, kinda in secret, so the chance two systems asking for the same artist, on the same riddim, are slim. There's no point in copying, as the idea is to one better. But as you saw in the first video, people will try and get a different big artist to record on the same riddim, to counter act a big tune they know their opponent has.

hope that makes sense.

• No real point in putting it on record anymore- most sounds seem to have picked up on cdj's (which in themselves are kinda outdated)

Are there big sounds running laptops these days? The music and style of presentation has generally kept me from checking very closely in the last couple years.