rane 56 output levels

erobertseroberts 36 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
just grabbed this. never had a club worthy mixer before. should the aux output level on a mixer be stronger then the master? i get the same output level with aux @ 25% as the master @ 50%. thanks!

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    huh?? they have the same output. one's for a monitor or record out, the other's for the main amp.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ps. i love my 56, but be carefull of that phone jack connecter thing for the power source... i've broken 2

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    ps. i love my 56, but be carefull of that phone jack connecter thing for the power source... i've broken 2

might be time for an upgrade

apparently you weren't the only one disappointed with the original connector

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That is the Achilles heel of the 56. The best way to deal with it is if you're bringing your mixer to the clurb, stick the phone jack connector in one of these dealies:

Keeps that fragile thing protected until you plug it back into the mixer.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I got 56 recently and I think they switched the power supply Delay. Now its just a nrmal IEC power cable.

Funny tho, the reason I bought the 56 was because after many years of trusty use, I think I blew up my old 52 because the tab was broken off, and went in an out real fast a couple times in a row while I was rewiring stuff, and blew out the insides. Perfect excuse to make the upgrade.

That said, should the mains on the quarter inch be louder because they're balanced? Am I wrong or is there a +4/-10 difference?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i've never noticed an output difference, but probably because they're always going to different sources.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I've always noticed the mic amp is terribly weak in the 56. Am I the only one to notice this?

The new 56 is not worth upgrading to if you already own the old 56.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Motherfucking

What's the deal with that? Worst design ever. Aside from that though, the Rane 56 is my perfect mixer.

• erobertseroberts 36 Posts
    the balanced and unbalanced master outs on mine are very close if not equal in output level but they're half the level of the aux out. i noticed on the diagram for the circuit that the master outs share a path whereas the aux has it's own path. don't know enough about electronics to say if that means anything though.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I love my Rane Empath, but I wish I could pop a 56 crossfader in there. If they combined the two mixers in the next model they design I think they'd basically have the perfect DJ mixer, unless you're talking like bozak sound or something.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    PS - they are different levels because they are designed to be plugged into different types of inputs - -10 and +4. It's not some kind of mistake - the idea is that if you have the master gain all the way up and your line level at 0 (unity), then the input going out is at unity gain for the (amp, mixer, recording input) that it's going into.

• erobertseroberts 36 Posts
    thanks for the advice. yeah i just saw the specs page and it looks like the unbalanced master is quieter (0db) than the balanced master and aux outs (both +6db). the balanced master out probably sounded quieter than its rating cause it was going to an unbalanced input.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I've always noticed the mic amp is terribly weak in the 56. Am I the only one to notice this?

Same on the Empath. You have to turn down the channel faders and turn up the master volume to be able to be heard over the music, which is a pain in the ass.