Pepsi Throwback

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
with real sugarwhere can i find this shit? i wanna see what all the fuss is about

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Yeah, I heard a news story about this on the local NPR station. Believe it or not but the reasoning was to make the drink more "healthy"! I think people were saying that corn syrup or something was bad for kids. Yeah, like soda is such a great drink for them in the first place. Still want to taste it.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    corn syrup?

Pretty sure it's cane sugar in ours over here

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Obviously neither are good for you, but I was under the impression that people can't process Hi-Fruc as well as they can actual sugar. Thus, all other things being equal, you will get fatter and be in worse shape if you drink conventional Pepsi over this new shit.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    with real sugar

where can i find this shit? i wanna see what all the fuss is about

I tried a sip of this today at a cookout, didn't notice much difference.

Of course this was inbetween beers so, you know...

corn syrup?

Pretty sure it's cane sugar in ours over here

Almost everything sweet that is mass produced and normally requiring "sugar" is made with corn syrup in the U.S. Corn is a government subsidized crop so it ends up being the cheapest sweetener.

Obviously neither are good for you, but I was under the impression that people can't process Hi-Fruc as well as they can actual sugar. Thus, all other things being equal, you will get fatter and be in worse shape if you drink conventional Pepsi over this new shit.

Read an article about 6 months ago (Scientific American, or possibly Discover) that took on this topic - turns out there's no measurable difference.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Pepsi is better than Coke

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Hmm, it was awhile back but the piece I read basically said that it takes a lot more Hi-Fruc to satisfy your body's sweet tooth. People end up consuming a lot more of it than they would unprocessed sugars.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    All I know is that Hi-fructose corn syrup sounds a lot less appealing than sugar!

Hmm, it was awhile back but the piece I read basically said that it takes a lot more Hi-Fruc to satisfy your body's sweet tooth. People end up consuming a lot more of it than they would unprocessed sugars.

Not the same article but draws from the same study:

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/04...i.usda.workshop

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there is a big taste difference between using sugar and corn syrup. You know the nasty film you get after drinking soda? Well that's from hfcs.

I don't think it's available in Canada yet. I did stock up on Kosher Coke last month, and I can rely on Mexican Coke if need be.

there is a big taste difference between using sugar and corn syrup. You know the nasty film you get after drinking soda? Well that's from hfcs.

I don't think it's available in Canada yet. I did stock up on Kosher Coke last month, and I can rely on Mexican Coke if need be.

nasty film?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    with real sugar

They sell them at Dr. Soda.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What's the point of throwback soda being in a can? I mean, it's better
    than plastic. But half the appeal of Mexican Pepsi is the glass bottle.

FOUNTAIN>GLASS>CAN>PLASTIC

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    How about not drinking soda instead of complaining what is in it.

How about not drinking soda instead of complaining what is in it.

Huh?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Rum & Pepsi = NAGL

Rum & RC Cola =

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Read an article about 6 months ago (Scientific American, or possibly Discover) that took on this topic - turns out there's no measurable difference.

Yep. I think the biggest difference is the manufacturing cost.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Sugar is the root of all evil. That said, I think Rum holds the magic.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rum & Pepsi = NAGL

Crown & Coke

Real muthaphuckers know the deal

What's the point of throwback soda being in a can? I mean, it's better
    than plastic. But half the appeal of Mexican Pepsi is the glass bottle.

FOUNTAIN>GLASS>CAN>PLASTIC

I agree. My original reply touched on that and the I realized that Throwback was actually a new type of Pepsi blah blah blah. But I agree, they sell Mexican Coke, Pepsi, and 7-Up at some of the panaderia's around here, with the old school logos too which is nice.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    In Mexico, it only costs about $9 a case, provided you bring in empty bottles. I have a case and a half of empties just waiting for someone I know to drive down there and trade them out for me.

Gotta wait 'til all the mafiosos stop shooting up the border cities first. Could be awhile...

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    GLASS>CAN>PLASTIC

Truth.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    with real sugar

We bought some at a little store in our neighborhood called Target.
    I've been enjoying a couple of these a week.
    It's better than the current Pepsi for sure, but it's still Pepsi.
    COKE SLAYS PEPSI PERIOD.
    I don't give a shit about the Pepsi challenge, that mess was rigged!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    i always find it amusing people can get so passionate about which soda drink is better.

• OG pepsi out of a glass bottle FTW.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Pretty sure Snapple made the switch to sugar recently too, but for some reason they downplayed it as "new great taste" and "made from even better stuff", as opposed to just coming out and saying its sugar. Definitely tastes better, might start drinking some Snapple again..

i always find it amusing people can get so passionate about which soda drink is better.

There's another board I know of where they get deep into their fanaticism about Kosher Coke, far worse than this thread.