getting wisdom teeth pulled out??!!!

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
My dentist is saying I need to get it done and that it's no problem to go to work the next day. They were like sign this and we'll go ahead and do this now. I said nope just clean my teeth today. Anyone have any thoughts/advice on this? It's bad enough I have to do this but work the next day? HAH!

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I've had four teeth pulled and it's really not that bad. Just follow all of the instructions your dentist gives you closely and you'll be fine. Your face might swell up a bit for a day or two, so you might want to schedule it so you can have a couple of days off.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    I had 4 pulled too!! apparently a very bad compact job, which means they sometimes climb up on your chest to get them out! I had no probs....just keep up with the panadine forte or whatever and you'll be fine.....lots of gargling too!!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    its no real big deal. But you want to give yourself at least a few days off.
    I was junked up on painkillers for a week after

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Your recovery time depends on the extent of which your wisdom teeth are impacted. The "going to work the next day" line makes me think your teeth are not very impacted.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Your recovery time depends on the extent of which your wisdom teeth are impacted. The "going to work the next day" line makes me think your teeth are not very impacted.

hahaha, i said "compacted" you said "impacted"!! something makes me think, you are right!!

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Whatever you do DO NOT CALL 1-800-DENTIST. Russian Roulette dentist is better than that service ... Mid 90's related.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had *eight* teeth pulled at once, including all my wisdom teeth. Because of the length of the procedure, they put me under general anesthesia. I won't lie - your mouth will be sore as hell after. They'll likely give you a good painkiller prescription and you'll likely want to avail yourself of it.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I had all four out in two steps, left side then right. Neither was a big deal, which was fortunate because I'm immune to the Percodan/Percoset stuff they give you for after the novocaine wears off.

The only weirdness was when the dude smashed my impacted tooth with a Thor hammer and chisel. I didn't feel it, but the crunching sound in my head is something I can still recall clearly.

Work the next day shouldn't be a problem.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I had all four out at the same time with just a local. It was kinda cool to be honest - I could feel the pressure of him pulling.

they sometimes climb up on your chest to get them out!

It took them 45 minutes to get the first on out, a little over 2 hrs for all four. and between the anesthetic and being nervous, I started to picture him putting a foot on my chest for leverage with the hygienist pulling at his waist from behind like in the cartoons or something. I broke out into a couple of laughing fits. "Uh, no one has ever reacted like this before."

Obviously everyone reacts differently, but I was fine in a couple of days.The worst part after the freezing had worn off was the huge painful cut in my lip I got when I was still numb and bit down too hard. The codeine made me real sick so I wasn't on anything more than over the counter. I also kept the teeth - they are HUGE!!!!

Good luck!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    My dentist is saying I need to get it done and that it's no problem to go to work the next day. They were like sign this and we'll go ahead and do this now. I said nope just clean my teeth today. Anyone have any thoughts/advice on this? It's bad enough I have to do this but work the next day? HAH!

Get it done on a Friday so you have the weekend to recover. I didn't feel any pain and was fine the next day but I've heard of people needing a day or two to recover. It's really not a big deal. They knock you out and you wake up minus some teeth.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    I would suggest not going under completely, just do local, that way you won't get a sore neck, and you'll have way less swelling and they will be gentler and less careless with you since you are awake and able to see. I didn't even need painkillers. Make sure you have lip balm handy and lube that shit, then you are less likely to get cut on the lip or have a split.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I had 4 pulled too!! apparently a very bad compact job, which means they sometimes climb up on your chest to get them out! I had no probs....just keep up with the panadine forte or whatever and you'll be fine.....lots of gargling too!!

All 4 of my wisdom teeth were impacted and I had them removed in one day (holy shit I'm glad I didn't look that up before I had it done ). There were huge bruises on my chest and neck when I woke up. They put me out completely so I don't remember anything. I was laid out for a couple days on Vicodin with a swollen face, but other than that it wasn't that bad.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The last time I had teeth extracted was when I had braces, and that was waaaaaay back. I know I need to get my wisdom teeth out, and with luck maybe at the end of the year.

• Your recovery time depends on the extent of which your wisdom teeth are impacted. The "going to work the next day" line makes me think your teeth are not very impacted.

Truth.

I was in a vicodin cloud for 3 days after and can't imagine otherwise.

Dry socket(ask somebody) is a mutha.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    i had 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled, and at the time had no dental coverage. dentists wont tell you this.... extractions can be done by a doctor.

i went to the hospital and had this done (no dentist), i was put under and when i awoke threw up blood that i swallowed during the procedure. lots of fun.
    percs were given to me for the pain, but since you cant really eat, and percs make you constipated it wasnt the most fun.

at one point i thought tooth pain was the worst pain known to humans.
    until i found out the joys of kidney stones.... i had a 9mm size rock.
    one of the doctors i saw was a woman who had both children, and kidney stones.... was shocked i lasted so long with no real painkillers.
    told me i experienced pain worse than giving birth.

that pain is something i cant describe. i also was touring while this was happening. shit was crazy. i learned my threshold for pain is quite high.

ill part of all of that is.... 2 weeks after my kidney stone surgery, amir and i were spinning at apt. and hes like "yooo... i dont feel right".
    he keeps drinking beer... next day he goes to have a kidney stone removed !
    some cosmic shit right there.... we couldnt believe we both had them at almost the same time... as if he caught that on tour like a cold.
    stoners.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    I was laid out for a couple days on Vicodin with a swollen face, but other than that it wasn't that bad.

Damn, not looking forward to this... And Kon, holy shit... Sounds like something no one should go through.

• Options

I was in a vicodin cloud for 3 days after and can't imagine otherwise.

Dry socket[/b](ask somebody) is a mutha.

I have been very lucky that my wisdom teeth have grown in fine. Problem is since they're so far back and difficult to clean thoroughly, I will eventually get cavities there and need them extracted.

Anyway, my wife had her wisdom teeth pulled 6 months back and she had dry socket.
    The pain of dry socket is so intense that she threw up a few times and she had to REALLY load up on the pain killers, which only took the edge off. She gets bad migraines on the regular, but the pain from dry socket was totally next level.

Basically, where her tooth used to be, you could see an opening and if you look in with flash a light, you could see her jaw bone is exposed.

I felt bad for her. She couldn't eat anything solid for almost 3 weeks.

Her story is definitely an exception, but it does happen.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a straw to suck drinks back because you could open up the sutures and end up with dry socket.

Make sure you talk to your dentist about dry socket and tips to avoid it.

Good luck.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a straw to suck drinks back because you could open up the sutures and end up with dry socket.

That's the truth. After getting mine out, I was using a straw to drink something, but a voice in the back of my mind told me maybe it wasn't a good idea. I called the dentist's office to ask if using straws was a no-no and they were like, "Yeah, we told you that right after you woke up from the anesthetic."

Awesome technique. Give the patient important instructions while they're groggy and still trying to figure out where they are.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    i had 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled, and at the time had no dental coverage. dentists wont tell you this.... extractions can be done by a doctor.

i went to the hospital and had this done (no dentist), i was put under and when i awoke threw up blood that i swallowed during the procedure. lots of fun.
    percs were given to me for the pain, but since you cant really eat, and percs make you constipated it wasnt the most fun.

one of the doctors i saw was a woman who had both children, and kidney stones.... was shocked i lasted so long with no real painkillers.

that pain is something i cant describe. i also was touring while this was happening. shit was crazy. i learned my threshold for pain is quite high.

ill part of all of that is.... 2 weeks after my kidney stone surgery, amir and i were spinning at apt. and hes like "yooo... i dont feel right".
    some cosmic shit right there.... we couldnt believe we both had them at almost the same time... as if he caught that on tour like a cold.
    stoners.

Yo Kon,
    Have you had any more than the 1? Curious kidney stone veteran.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

stoners.

Yo Kon,
    Have you had any more than the 1? Curious kidney stone veteran.

i still have 2 on my left side, not big enough to do anything to yet. not really trying to have it get to 9mm either.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    wisdom teeth: i stayed awake during the process, went to an oral surgeon at graduate hospital in philly and he had huge biceps. the process is f*cking primitive. novocaine and then he took dental pliers to my teeth, 4 of them and pulled them out with his own strength. complete with grunting. thankfully mine were not impacted at all. then he left the room and so i asked the nurse if she would give me my teeth back so that i could keep them. in the deepest possible philly accent she says 'oh sweetie thats against osha regulations.' i asked her again for my teeth. she smiled and gave in and told me to not tell anyone and i said no problem i can't tell anyone, my mouth is completely numb. and so i have all 4 of them, i keep them in a little box. hell no i don't want any of my body parts dumped out at sea until i'm officially dead.
    i had no appetite for a few days and just had miso soup and tea and i was fine. no drugs necessary though i was prescribed percoset but my so-called friend whom i will call 'method-dan' stole them which was fine with me.