School me on Brian Auger.

VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
School me plaese on Brian Auger. I have only listened to a small amount of Brian's music.I know next to nothing about him. What's his story? Is that stuff with Julie Driscoll hot sheeyit? Which albums should I listen to in order to get a proper appreciation of his craft? Any yousendits of choice cuts you have floating around on your computers would be much appreciated.
I'm listening to Brian Auger's Oblivion Express-Change right now.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I would recommend "Streetnoise," one of his albums with Julie Driscoll. This still holds up and has a killer version of "Season of the Witch" on it. "Light My Fire" too.

I have a bunch of Auger LPs that I'm selling out of my collection. PM me if you're interested.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Vagabond,

I'm not sure of his "story" but the best I can tell is that Brian Auger is an acquired taste. Personally, I lean more toward his earlier work with the "Trinity" (e.g., "Befour" and "Definitely What!" as well as the LP you posted) and Julie Driscoll as on "Streetnoise") than the work with Oblivion Express, which I like some of as well (e.g., "A Better Land", "Second Wind", and "Reinforcements"). I can't endorse his music for others because it is "different" and is definitely not for everyone. I'm a weirdo and can stretch a great deal as far as musical taste goes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Thanks. That is one of the ones I was thinking of getting. Nice to know it has Season of the Witch on it. I really dig that song.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Hey.

"Second Wind" and "Definitely What!" come seriously recommended, also there are a bunch of cheapo late-sixties comps that feature a bunch of tracks he did in the sixties, some of which are with Driscoll. Look for tracks like "Tiger", "Kiko", "Foolkiller", "The In Crowd" etc
    , and the piece should be a winner.

The seventies stuff gets more and more generic disco as the year progresses, but I like his 1976 album Heartaches/Headaches. Spice Island is a dope track (especially during beatiful summer-weather). There are a couple of nice ones from the early seventies as well, including the two live albums, one of which has that Mos Def sampl on it (forgot the name of the track and source album, sorry!)

Go get some Auge. He brings niceness.

Didn??t he become a transsexual or something?

- J

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Dude's records have tons of breaks if that's your thing.

These are the best listens imo.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Thanks. That is one of the ones I was thinking of getting. Nice to know it has Season of the Witch on it. I really dig that song.

I don't think "Season of the Witch" is actually on the LP Streetnoise. Not my version, at least.

"Season of the Witch" is actually on the LP

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Oops, my bad. I think "Light My Fire" is on Streetnoise, no?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Oops, my bad. I think "Light My Fire" is on Streetnoise, no?

That is correct, sir!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ..and they're all on last year's excellent Get Auger-nized double comp on Castle. A great tutorial.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    sorry i thought i read Brian Au[/b]stin Green

arg, i can never return to this thread again.

• There are a shitload of Brian Auger songs with open drums at the beginning. Some of it gets too wanky for me after that, but its perfect mixtape fodder. I think the best one is Closer to it or something like that. Dark Blue cover. Considering how cheaply these can be had at any decent store or record show, they're worth picking up. Dude's voice is pretty irritating to me though. Except on the Inner City Blues cover, which is tolerable.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I like "The tiger"..dont know what LP it is actually from as I just have some springboard cheapie ish with it on it.

I like "The tiger"..dont know what LP it is actually from as I just have some springboard cheapie ish with it on it.

Yeah, that??s the one I was talking about. Purple frame around a picture of Auger right? I have it on two releases. One is the Springboard comp, one is a split Auge/Driscoll thing, with one side being all his early stuff ( ?) and includes "Tiger". It says it??s from 1964! Pretty futuristic....

- J

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Allow me to share a scopitone (music video) of Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll doing Aretha's "Save Me" - make sure you watch until the end, when Auger starts getting screen time for his solo, doing some Jerry Lee Lewis insanity on the keys!!

Driscoll & Auger - Save Me

Thanks Everybody. Great Video. I was just listening to Mike2600's record show and he threw The Tiger in that mix. All input was appreciated. Thanks folks.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think I have reviews of most of his albums:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=A&page=7
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=A&page=8
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=A&page=9

Think he first was made famous when he played with the Yardbirds. Early stuff is sort of Rock-Blues kinda of stuff. Later on he went more Soul-Jazz. Much of his stuff is good and cheap and easy so knock yourself out.

• I would recommend "Streetnoise," one of his albums with Julie Driscoll. This still holds up and has a killer version of "Season of the Witch" on it. "Light My Fire" too.

season of the witch is not on streetnoise, only light my fire is.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    light my fire is an alltime favorite. that shit is impeccable.
    definitely what has some serious heat.
    i seriously recommend "closer to it". you can get it for $2 and there are many many good highly listenable songs...the singing never bothered me too much.
    live oblivion vol 1 and 2 have heat and breaks, but i get them confused. they can be obtained cheap as well

The "Tiger" LP.

Good Reviews Motown. Those helped me out alot. Thanks also Triple Double. I just picked up that record you mentioned on the Bay.

Dope video! Thanks!

- J

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

This one is pretty good. I got it from my mom's collection. It's definitely on the rock/jazz tip. More jazzy. Didn't like it when I was a kid but now it's

• School me plaese on Brian Auger. I have only listened to a small amount of Brian's music.I know next to nothing about him. What's his story? Is that stuff with Julie Driscoll hot sheeyit? Which albums should I listen to in order to get a proper appreciation of his craft? Any yousendits of choice cuts you have floating around on your computers would be much appreciated.
    I'm listening to Brian Auger's Oblivion Express-Change right now.

this may help

http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4608&highlight=auger

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i actually saw Closer to It! in a thrift a couple weeks ago. I heard the break but wasn't blown away by it or anything.

however i have had this one for quite some time...

"Straight Ahead"

• Allow me to share a scopitone (music video) of Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll doing Aretha's "Save Me" - make sure you watch until the end, when Auger starts getting screen time for his solo, doing some Jerry Lee Lewis insanity on the keys!!

Where have I seen that shirt Brians wearing before....