expedits as room dividers

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
quick question... do people out there use their expedits as room dividers, ie. not leaning against a wall, but in the middle of the room as a way to divide space in a large room? are they stable enough?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I tried with a 4x4. It's been dis- and re-assembled twice, though, and it couldn't hang. Maybe with some diagonal cross-brace tensioner wiring it could've made it, but I just gave up and put it on the wall...the prospect of an avalanche over the couch was just too scary.
    I'd see it in the reflection of the TV: just ready to fall...couldn't deal.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    used mine (5X5) as a room divider for about 4 years. Didn't attach it to the wall at all and I had no problem whatsoever. Seemed pretty stable to me. I know others probably wouldn't advise you to do the same.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    using it that way right now and it works beautifully. it's in the basement where there is a roughed-in kitchen that we are using as storage space - the expedit is flush to the right and is blocking off that whole part of the room with enough space on the left for us to get in and out if we need anything out of there. it is a right mess back there and the expedit is full so you can't see to the other side. I have some antique glassware on the top so it is definitely stable!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I wouldn't load it up full of records without anchoring it to a wall. If you do plan on doing it anyway, I would use wood glue to secure all of the pegs more.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    IF ANYONE WANTS A FREE EXPEDIT AND LIVES IN PHILLY...SEND ME A PM.

^^^^^

my craigslist seller's voice

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    have done so over and over, esp in big open room or loft, works beautifully. there are some pics here from this thread (and you must anchor it to the wall somehow or at least add a few extra L brackets):

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1270757