Bruce Davidson and Bob Dylan

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I thought this feature from slate was really well put together. Well worth a few minutes of your time even if you don't like Dylan.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Thanks for that, it was great.
    A lot of those guys remind me of my late Uncle Dave. Everyone puffin' on heaters and fixing up their rides.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    A lot of those guys remind me of my late Uncle Dave. Everyone puffin' on heaters and fixing up their rides.

From wiki:

Brooklyn Gang
    Bruce Davidson???s 1959 project Brooklyn Gang is an intimate photographic study of a rebellious Brooklyn teenage gang, who called themselves The Jokers. Davidson was able to document their candid manifestations of worry, energy, enthusiasm, anger, and occasional sadness. The gang seemed to exist in their own secluded world, meandering from Coney Island to diners and taxicabs, anxiously moving forward with an unknown future and unknown goals. Some of them were even thoroughly troubled: one member died from a heroin overdose a few years after Davidson left them. Not only is Davidson???s work a sincere portrayal of troubled teenagers coming of age, but it also acts as a documentation of teenage life during 1950s, exposing the emotional climate of that time period and exposing the dark side of a supposedly innocent time period.

I went to Amazon to try a scoop the book, but it is a couple hundred bucks so I'll wait on that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

From wiki:

Brooklyn Gang
    Bruce Davidson???s 1959 project Brooklyn Gang is an intimate photographic study of a rebellious Brooklyn teenage gang, who called themselves The Jokers. Davidson was able to document their candid manifestations of worry, energy, enthusiasm, anger, and occasional sadness. The gang seemed to exist in their own secluded world, meandering from Coney Island to diners and taxicabs, anxiously moving forward with an unknown future and unknown goals. Some of them were even thoroughly troubled: one member died from a heroin overdose a few years after Davidson left them. Not only is Davidson???s work a sincere portrayal of troubled teenagers coming of age, but it also acts as a documentation of teenage life during 1950s, exposing the emotional climate of that time period and exposing the dark side of a supposedly innocent time period.

I went to Amazon to try a scoop the book, but it is a couple hundred bucks so I'll wait on that.

We were probably scoping the amazon pages at the same time! Steep!

I will just keep my eyes open at the used book stores, y'never know.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

From wiki:

Brooklyn Gang

We were probably scoping the amazon pages at the same time! Steep!

I will just keep my eyes open at the used book stores, y'never know.

His Subway work is also incredible, I got to see some of the large prints at a gallery once and they were amazing. I wish I had had $5,000 to $10,000 to buy one