nooooooooooo!!!! SPLASH

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
so last night i was djing at a private event here:they had me up on the mezzanine which in this photo doesnt look that hight, but its about 25 ft. to the floor. problem is, much of the floor there is water. look close...all the tables are on islands surrounded by water. so i wrapped up and started packing up my stuff. i unplugged my sir.otto box and started packing up the usb cable, when out of the corner of my eye, i see it tip over and fall off the balcony. i looked over to watch it land in the water. i went to retrieve it and water just poured out. lucky for me, it wasnt plugged in, so it may have been saved from shorting out. i opened it up to let it completely dry. i'm gonna plug it in tonight to see if it still works. wish me luck.

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I thought this was going to be a story of how you dropped your cell phone in the toilet.

This sucks, but isn't nearly as bad as what I was thinking.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    wow if the microwave oven box werks after that i will be highly impressed.

ps. cool clurb.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That sucks, Tom.

A couple weeks ago I was boarding a plane from Vancouver to New York and in the midst of me walking down the gate thingy while carrying bags, drinking coffee and texting someone I dropped my passport. it landed right on the edge between the plane and the gate thingy about two thirds off. I don't know how it didn't drop down below all the way to the tarmac but it didn't.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    oh shit, that SUUUCKS. Good thing is as long as it dries out before you hook it up, nothing will happen to it. I've done this to a keyboard on purpose before to clean it, just make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before firing it up.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I've done this to a keyboard on purpose before to clean it

You are my dude.

And that is retarded.

B/W Good luck, Tom! I also thought this was gonna be phone-in-the-toilet-related.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I thought this was going to be John-Candy-dropping-change-to-look-up-skirts-related.

This is worse. Hope the air dry technique works for you. It worked for our friends cell phone, which was straight in the creek for five minutes.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I've read (about other electronics) that you should somehow seal it in a jar or bag of rice. The rice is supposed to absorb the moisture, which I'm sure is trapped in the deepest, darkest crevices of the box.

Either way, good luck. These boxes are expensive!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    I've done this to a keyboard on purpose before to clean it, just make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before firing it up.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you guys don't even want to hear the death of my phone story.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I've done this to a keyboard on purpose before to clean it

You are my dude.

And that is retarded.

B/W Good luck, Tom! I also thought this was gonna be phone-in-the-toilet-related.

hahaha no it's not, here's the full story.

had a girl kick a drink over that was sitting on my desk and it went straight into my keyboard but the comp was off so nothing happened. Problem was I now had a keyboard full of margarita so I had to really clean it out so I just dunked it in some soapy water and then dunked it in some clean water and let it sit out and air dry for a few days and it was fine.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The seal-it-in-a-bag-or-jar of rice thing is a pretty classic way of drying out wet cell phones.

You could also try the same thing with a bunch of those silicia packets that come in, for example, bags of beef jerky or shoe boxes - they do the same thing; absorb moisture. Good luck! I think you should be ok once it dries out.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Dudes who use computers on navy ships will pull the circuit boards out and run them through the dishwasher with no soap to wash off all the saltwater.

I have taken apart a non-functioning SK-1 and done the same thing and it works perfect. Maybe open the case up and spray it with some compressed air?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Dude just DO NOT plug it into your computer to test it. Use the power supply as a test-run. Good luck, that club looks pretty nuts.

• Options
    My wife dropped her iphone into a shallow pool at a Mexican resort (too many Pina Coladas related). I took the hair dryer to it (not too close) when we got back to our room, then wrapped it in facial tissue and left it to dry over the weekend. Plugged it in after day 3 and it worked fine.

She's very lucky.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Them shits is expensive, but I think it will all come out okay.
    Good luck.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    (too many Pina Coladas related).

problem is, much of the floor there is water. look close...all the tables are on islands surrounded by water.

lol - yes, I'd say putting moats in a place where people are going to be drinking copious amounts of booze is a problem.

recipe.
    for.
    disaster!!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Another trick is to submerge in rubbing alcohol then let dry. The alcohol pulls all the water away and then dries with no residue. Also cleans from what i've been told, this coming form a tech guy at AT&T

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've read (about other electronics) that you should somehow seal it in a jar or bag of rice. The rice is supposed to absorb the moisture, which I'm sure is trapped in the deepest, darkest crevices of the box.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ans we have lift off!!! it works. turns out the water actually saved it. had it landed on a hard surface, it probably wouldnt have survived.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Between this and marco's 45 box, it's good karma week around here!

• Options
    ans we have lift off!!! it works. turns out the water actually saved it. had it landed on a hard surface, it probably wouldnt have survived.

WOW!

Glad to hear it. Them phuckers are pricey.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I've done this to a keyboard on purpose before to clean it, just make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before firing it up.

that picture made my heart skip a beat until i realized it was just the case...

good to hear the Microwave box turned out well. i think that fucker could live through a 25 foot drop though, water or not...

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    I thought this was going to be John-Candy-dropping-change-to-look-up-skirts-related.

haha beat me to it.