selling furniture (craigslist ,what happened?)

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
in years past, i'd put a bed or couch on craigslist and it would be sold in an hour. now the spammers and commercial sellers are flooding the classifieds and a minute after i post, my ad is drowning in a sea of listings. i also seem to be getting spam emails from...buyers. are there any other online options? i'm running out of time...moving in a few weeks.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Flag all the spammers ads flooding you out.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I was selling some audio gear on CL last year, getting a bunch of spam "buyers", my guess was they were hoping I'd reply so they could add my personal email to a list.

They were real generic like "I'm interested in purchasing the item you have listed for sale, please write back so we can set up a time for me to purchase this item."

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Flag all the spammers ads flooding you out.

new listings spring up by the minute. this wouldn't help.

craigslist is it? maybe i found a new market and should i start a website...

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    I was selling some audio gear on CL last year, getting a bunch of spam "buyers", my guess was they were hoping I'd reply so they could add my personal email to a list.

They were real generic like "I'm interested in purchasing the item you have listed for sale, please write back so we can set up a time for me to purchase this item."

yeah, I've been getting a bunch of this shit too, trying to sell stuff. Super generic messages with tons of grammatical errors. Basically, just asking for my contact info/email address. In my postings I specify leaving a phone number, if no phone number then I don't respond.