FREE Picasso show in NYC (ends June 2nd)

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/2009-03-26_pablo-picasso/didn't find a thread on this with a search, so I figured I'd share as it's a pretty amazing show. Only in NYC, not to go anywhere else.

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    This exhibit is SERIOUSLY crowded... just be warned if you're used to waltzing from half-empty-gallery to half-empty-gallery. Line out the door, around the block related.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I saw the Picasso show at MoMA back in what had to have been the early 80s. Even as a buck that shit was facemelt.

I'm gonna try and peep this.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    has anyone been the the museo picasso in barcelona? i must say i was disappointed when i went there recently. the building is beautiful but the collection was very small with very few large scale works.
    but this i will check out... my friend claudia happens to be the gallery sitter at gagosian so i will find out the 411

has anyone been the the museo picasso in barcelona? i must say i was disappointed when i went there recently. the building is beautiful but the collection was very small with very few large scale works.
    but this i will check out... my friend claudia happens to be the gallery sitter at gagosian so i will find out the 411

I thought the Picasso Museuo was good on his early years progression- some of the monochrome portraits from when he was almost a kid were very revealing. It goes on to have juuuust enough of his breakout period to show where the story is going... But, it isn't much in the way of, 'greatest hits'.

That said, the two room section of his study on, "Las Meninas," is f*cking incredible, worth double the price of admission, single handedly justifies the entire musuem, and defines, "GENIUS." Seriously, that section was FACE. MELTINGLY. FACE. MELT.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    When would be the best time to check this? I'll be out there next week.

Go on a weekday, mid-afternoon.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    This exhibit is SERIOUSLY crowded... just be warned if you're used to waltzing from half-empty-gallery to half-empty-gallery. Line out the door, around the block related.

I dunno, the fiancee and I went this past saturday and we just slipped right in without waiting in line. There were a lot of people there, but the way it was laid out the pieces had room to breathe and it wasn't like the MOMA where every tom dick and harry was walking in front of you while you were looking at a piece. The worst area was the bottleneck where all the prints and work on paper was.

but generally, yeah, mid-week afternoons are usually the least crowded.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    2 modern art threads.
    When I was a young buck I was lukewarm on Picasso.
    I had seen some late in life line drawing prints that were 'aight, and jokes about 2 eyes on the same side of the nose with maybe little photos of some stereotype cubist stuff.

Then one day at the East Wing I stumbled on a room full of 'blue period' and a room full of 'green period' paintings.
    Even as a knowitall teen I had my world rocked and knew I had to find out more.

A few years ago I got to see Guernica in Madrid.

Interesting you mention the late era... The show in question is avsurvey of late works, and a lot of press has used this as an opportunity to re-examine their notions of that oft-maligned period.