So, when does Autotune end?

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I remember a couple years back my wife went from listening to the hiphop radio station to the regular pop station. When I asked what was the change, she said, "I can't get down with that reggaeton shit."I agreed, and ever since I have used her as a bellwether for hiphop trends, as usually I'm an NPR man.Now, she's moved on - "I can't do any more autotune."So, when does it end enough that the Mrs. can go from Mix 107 back to Jam'n 94.5?And, honestly, I asked seriously... the wife's radio habits are merely a jumping off point.

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    when new york papoose brings hip-hop back to where it originated.
    oh, wait...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think i like autotune more just because of how angry it makes people

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Once Cher uses it a second time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Turn Off The Radio

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    NEVA!

what's there for hip-hop to go back to? has it ever gone back to what it once was? let's say it did, we'd all be mad that these young kids taking rap styles, references, dress, etc. that's attached to a time their parents didn't even grow up in.

rap has always been for kids. we're old. in the words of mylatency, "DEAL.[/b]"

according to elliot wilson, it's dead now:
    http://www.rapradar.com/focus/autotune-is-dead.html

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Listening to hip hop now is like listening to Kenny G and thinking you're listening to jazz

• GnarliamentGnarliament 375 Posts
    according to elliot wilson, it's dead now:
    http://www.rapradar.com/focus/autotune-is-dead.html

I liked that song.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Listening to hip hop now is like listening to Kenny G and thinking you're listening to jazz

All Hip Hop?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    On one time hip-hop wasn't really on the radio besides college/public or straight Hammer status. That's kinda why I don't really care.

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    d e e p e r
    t h a n
    r a p

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    GO GIRRRL GO GIIIRLLL
    GO GIRRLL GO GIIIRRLL

DJ Webstar ftw this summer. Autotune will be here forever, like KRS One.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I don't think "real" hip hop even gets played on the radio (outside of college and public radio stations).

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Turn Off The Radio

To be fair, I think a lot of rap format stations to a good job of playing a mix of pop hiphop and some more of the mixtaping club shit. I find they expect a lot more of their fans knowledge and interest in the music than a pop station, and are usually rewarded with knowledgable and enthusiastic fans.

The last two summers, I've worked the local MONSTER JAM concert, and I've been impressed with the depth of the following the local HIPHOP & R'n'B station has been able to build.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I don't think "real" hip hop even gets played on the radio (outside of college and public radio stations).

See above post for 'agree to disagree'.

A lot of weekend DJ shows do a good job of playing "real," hip hop. Most college stations in these parts still rock a backpack.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    So much hip hop now is structured around almost prog house/trance sounding instrumentals, I think the autotune works well with that, it's all very daft punky.

So I guess I would answer when the beats change, but I really don't see mainstream hip hop every going back to a more organic voicing.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    in the words of mylatency, "DEAL.[/b]"

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    So much hip hop now is structured around almost prog house/trance sounding instrumentals,