GRAHAM CENTRAL STATION TRIBUTE THREAD

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
...because right now I'm listening to the Now Do U Wanta Dance album and I am floored! Unusually great record, featuring the funk-metal classic "Earthquake" and the doo-wop throwback "Stomped, Beat-Up & Whooped," which almost sounds like some Louisiana swamp-pop song. Too bad Larry Graham started doing all those limp ballads in the eighties, 'cause with GCS he had it going on for damn sure.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Unusually great record, featuring the funk-metal classic "Earthquake"

Earthquake is My Shit!!!!!

I usta follow that up w/ Doin' The EarthQuake Shake from Undisputed Truth.

I ride for the ENTIRE CGS catalog.

They covered all the bases.

Pimp Funk/Cosmic Funk Rock/Ballads/Str8 Jams/Beatbox Funk/Slippery Country Funk.

They have a great stew that was took Sly's shit to the next level.

Dont get me started.

Coke Funk

every album has a good-ass intro

the s/t is mt shit

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I really liked it when GCS did their vocal-group thing on "Happ-E-2-C-U-A-Ginn" (acapella) and "My Radio Sure Sounds Good To Me" ("radi-ah-oh-wah-oh-wah-oh, radi-ah-oh-wah-oh!").

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    "Let me entertain ya....."

Entroe is my shit! Party Jam and a half, and with 3 breaks on one track...F*ck yeah!

Plus iI used to think it was cool, and the chicks dug it, when I'd rack up lines on the Mirror cover.... hehehe

• minimini 879 Posts

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    As a young Timmy Dig-A-Lot, Ain't No Bout a Doubt It blew my mind. One of the best dollars I ever spent.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    this is funny i was driving through jamaica a few days ago on the way from one side of the island to the other and i stopped to get a juice and the guy at the juice spot says, you know this guy larry graham? and he pointed to this house up on a hill, a big white house with a big gate overlooking the sea, and he said, he lives right up there. and then we were trying to sing some graham central station together. it was fun. i was thinking i was going to start a thread about him, tribute style, too. how funny that it happened anyway, nice cosmic coincidence.

GSC albums are almost the ONLY place where I can deal with thumb-popping bass.

Maybe it's because the band was led by the guy who invented it, so he knows when to use it??

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Lead guitar, David Dynamite, Scorpio.

Release Yourself[/b] is my album, celebrates its 35th anniversary this year.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    What is the last thing he put out? I kind of need a schooling on him.

What is the last thing he put out? I kind of need a schooling on him.

He has been hanging w/ Prince for the last couple of years. I think he got Prince on some Jehovah's Witness steez.

I read an article where they have been uncovering ways to reverse aging via The Bible, on some next level shit.

I always wondered what woulda happened if Sly had his mind right, The Family Stone stayed together, and let Larry Graham have a larger contribution to the band.

As much as I love Stand and them, I listen to GCS way more than S&TFS. Not to turn this into a vs thread.

1973 - Graham Central Station, Warner Bros.
    1974 - Release Yourself, Warner Bros.
    1975 - Ain't No 'Bout-A-Doubt It, Warner Bros.
    1976 - Mirror, Warner Bros.
    1977 - Now Do U Wanna Dance, Warner Bros.
    1978 - My Radio Sure Sounds Good to Me, WEA
    --------------------------------------------------cutoff point
    1979 - Star Walk, Warner Bros. - has some stuff but overall ehh
    1998 - GCS 2000, NPG - produced with Prince

Graham's Bass play w/ Sly changed the game. Paradigm Shift.

Lead guitar, David Dynamite, Scorpio.

Rest in peace, bro...(I just learned last night, while surfing the Net, that David "Dynamite" Vega passed away some years ago.)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    GCS got fonk jams, but I think their more subtle/slower material gets slept on.
    Stuff like "Why?" and "We Be's Getting Down" from the first LP with Patryce Banks on lead vocals.
    Reminds me of the best Sly Stone songs from around the same time.