Cheating Soul

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Looking to find similar tracks related to the subject of cheating woman/man experiences on the soul tip. For example Marvin Gaye "I Heard it Through the Grapevine"; Shirley Brown "Woman to Woman"; Irma Thomas "Coming From Behind (monologue) / Wish Someone Would Care"; Doris Duke "To the Other Woman (I'm the Other Woman)"; James Carr "Dark End of the Street"; Millie Jackson "If Loving You is Wrong (I Don't Want to be Right)"; Brenda Holloway "'Til Johnny Comes"; The Impressions "You've Been Cheatin'"; Temptations "I Wish it Would Rain"; Spinners "It's a Shame"; Barbara Mason "Another man is beating my time"; Billy Paul "Me & Mrs. Jones"; Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe"; Johnnie Taylor "Who's Making Love"; O'Jay's "Listen to the Clock on the Wall"ADD ON:

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Also would accept other really good versions of the songs listed above.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    How about 'Between the lines by Charles Whitehead

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Reuben Wilson - In The Booth in The Back in The Corner in The Dark

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    Martha & The Vandellas - I'll Have To Let Him Go

Barbara Lynn - I'm A Good Woman

Bettye Swann - (My Heart Is) Closed For The Season

Linda Jones - Fugitive From Love -- more about being mistreated and having to escape it, but does have the line "and ran around with my very best friend"

Sam Cooke - That's It, I Quit, I'm Movin' On

Mack Rice - Three People In Love

Deon Jackson - You Said You Love Me

Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone

+25,000 other songs I can't think of right now.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    yeah, lots of these...

bill withers- "who is he and what is he to you?"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    somebody's on your case - Ann Peebles

and about 25,000 others.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Cheating is to soul music what heat is to fire. There are thousands of soul songs about adultery:

Swamp Dogg - "Mama's Baby, Daddy's Maybe" (and too many more to mention; he owns this thread)

Don Covay - "I Was Checkin' Out, She Was Checkin' In"

Peggy Scott-Adams - "Bill"

Facts Of Life - "Caught In The Act"

Tyrone Davis - "There It Is"

Roy C. - "I Found A Man In My Bed" (and too many more to mention; he co-owns this thread)

Charles Wright - "One Lie Leads To Another"

BTW, the Temptations' "I Wish It Would Rain" is NOT about cheating. The narrator's girlfriend didn't just play around on the sly, she broke it off altogether.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    One Woman & By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Issac Hayes

Caught Up/Stlll Caught Up Album - Millie Jackson

Sonny - Robert Cray (Blues though)

Guess Who I Saw Today - Nancy Wilson or Chante Moore

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    What about all those "Jody" songs?
    And then there's James Rivers telling us how cheating can lead to alcohol- and spousal abuse in "bad bad whiskey" where he announces to his woman "I'm going to beat on you until I get tired???...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    It's a blues tune but one of my all time favorites is "Mule Kicking in My Stall" by Otis Spann. I know this song has been done by a lot of folks but this version is the first one I heard and remains my fave.