Sunlights Seven / Creation of Sunlight question

oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone familiar with this group? I found a record yesterday and I can't seem to track down any info on it. So far all I've found is this website: http://www.chezgrae.com/creationofsunlight/ It makes no mention of the record I have, although my record has "Sevens' Theme" on it like their first LP. Any one know anything else about them? Thanks!EDIT- Here's some pictures:EDIT AGAIN - Guess I can't embed twitpics..Side A - http://twitpic.com/49bstSide B - http://twitpic.com/49btp

Comments

• damn nothing eh? where's the psych rock heads at? or anyone know where else i can ask around about this?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Damn, looks like a serious item. Perhaps an interim phase not mentioned on the website. I would ask someone like Paul Major if they have any info, but it might be hard to track down.

I would try to hear the known material to see what similarities there are.

It's possible you have a one of a kind record.

• yeah i'm starting to think the same thing too... the 1st and 3rd tracks are on their 1st LP that is also super rare, and the 2nd track i havent seen referenced anywhere yet... also, anyone have any advice on how to clean records like these?

yeah i'm starting to think the same thing too... the 1st and 3rd tracks are on their 1st LP that is also super rare, and the 2nd track i havent seen referenced anywhere yet... also, anyone have any advice on how to clean records like these?

Clean acetates VERY CAREFULLY. It's best to use only distilled with maybe the slightest bit of detergent or soap, high quality unscented of course. If you have access to a VPI that would help, but be very gentle with the brush, just drag it lightly by hand, don't scrub. There is a solution used by Sony and other experts, but I think it's fairly toxic and you may not be able to buy it as a layman.

This is potentially a big item, as they are a highly regarded group, so be cautious whatever you do.

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
    thanks for the advice!

Got in contact with one of the original band members (through MySpace, of all places...) and asked him some general questions about the band. Here's what he said:

Hi Mike, thanks for writing.

There???s a lot of disinformation floating around the internet, because the band was so obscure for so long. The Myspace is the only accurate source, because it???s done by the band.

The ???Sunstroke??? five song Acetate was never an album, it was only a reference pressing to document how the sessions were going. (Actually, an acetate is not a pressing, it???s a lathe cut original.) There were four main tracking sessions and a couple later vocal dub sessions (December 1968 was the first, sometime early to mid 1969 was the last). The Sunstroke acetate would have been pressed after the second session, that is, after the band had completed the first five songs.

There is also an earlier acetate from after the first session with only the first three songs. It was labeled ???Heaviness???. There were at least three of those pressed. I???m not sure how many of the Sunstroke one were made, but again it would have been just a very few. I would guess about three again.

There were a total of 12 songs recorded. 10 are on the final LP, one (Judy In Disguise) appeared as a b-side on one of the singles only, and one (an instrumental called Seven???s Theme) has never been released.

The title of the LP had not yet been decided on while the sessions were going on. That???s why the acetates have different names. In all, there were only the two different acetates and then the one LP, finally named ???Creation Of Sunlight???. Only 500 copies were pressed. There were also three different 45 singles, but nobody seems to know how many of each of those were pressed. This is all there was, regardless of what variation of the bands??? name was being used. (You read the Myspace blog on that, right?)

I hope this helps, and again thanks for your interest. I should mention, there is a social reunion planned for this summer, with as many as six of the original seven members attending. I???m sure we???ll get some more of the history sorted out then!

Steve Montague, SL-7 bass

Good work.

Great score!

You keeping or selling?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Theire Myspace says they are looking for singer Gary Lynn Hicks who went by the name Gary Young....apparently they are not the only ones looking for him....I had tracked him down to Fremont California about 10 years ago and hit a dead end.

Feel free to pass this on to the band.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Name: Gary Lynn Hicks
    Date of Birth: August 16, 1943
    Place of Birth: Kansas, Missouri
    Unit: 772nd Red Fox Squadron
    Last Assignment known: Mactan Airbase in Lapu-lapu City
    way back 1966 or 1967

These are the few information about my biological father, I know this isn't a war stories, but may be u could help me find him. I have already wrote a letter to the US Military but they could not release the information about him, i don't know why.. the only thing is that I wanted to see my father, i don't ask any money from Gary Lynn Hicks, all i want is to see him and talk to him that is all. i haven't seen him from the time i was born until the present. all i want is his address or even a phone number then i will do the rest. thank u for taking time to read my letter, hope u could help me sir..thank u and thank u again...waiting for your reply...

josephus wyne s. hicks

Good work.

Great score!

You keeping or selling?

thats the thing.... as a collector, i kinda like just holding on to it, for the usual collector reasons (rarity, bragging rights, etc...) but at the same time i could definitely use the money haha. depending on who i talk to, that may even be a lot of money, but yeah, i'm a collector, not a seller...

so if everything i've read/been told so far is true:

-500 records were released by the band eventually, under the Creation of Sunlight name
    -much less of the "Sunstroke" 5 song EP were made, and that was in acetate form
    -at least 3 of the "Heaviness" EP acetates were pressed, under the name Sunlights' Seven, which is apparently the first permuation of their name before they started changing it around. This is the record i've stumbled upon.

Yeah... no idea what to do with this haha.

Aah, the eternal question. Well, you really can't lose either way.

Are the three songs the same as the released versions?

haven't heard the final versions of the songs that did come out, but according to the band member i talked to, the instrumentation on the acetates is somewhat sparser and there's no backing vocals. also, "sevens' theme" has never been formally released, although they're planning something for this summer.

haven't heard the final versions of the songs that did come out, but according to the band member i talked to, the instrumentation on the acetates is somewhat sparser and there's no backing vocals. also, "sevens' theme" has never been formally released, although they're planning something for this summer.

Well then, you're packing serious heat - maybe you can work with the band to make your versions (if they really are different) available. People rate this group very highly (I haven't heard the record, though I want to), so even slightly different versions will be of interest.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Well then, you're packing serious heat - maybe you can work with the band to make your versions (if they really are different) available. People rate this group very highly (I haven't heard the record, though I want to), so even slightly different versions will be of interest.

i have the void reish (itself hard to find), its an incredible album. dying to hear the unreleased track you have, but of course acetates must be treated carefully. if you do digitize and feel like sharing ever... there are hungry minds on the 'strut who would be very grateful...

i have the void reish (itself hard to find), its an incredible album. dying to hear the unreleased track you have, but of course acetates must be treated carefully. if you do digitize and feel like sharing ever... there are hungry minds on the 'strut who would be very grateful...

yeah trying to figure out the best way to do it... definitely gotta clean it first, and then figure out what needle/turntable combo to use... i'll see what i can do.