ebay q: only list best or all you want to go?

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Just wondering.It would seem like the time vs money trade off (and possibility of actually making a sale) would lean towards going with what you know would probably sell or bring in enough to make it worthwhile ($10, maybe $20 or more(?))I know some people will also list up all sorts of ... not crap, but more common stuff. Much of it won't sell or won't fetch enough to really be worth the hassle.What do you guys do?I've often bought stuff just because. Some of it I have no idea what its worth but I don't want to look up hundreds of records just to find out 5 or 10 of them are more than $2 or $3 pieces.Case in point, I have a Chet Baker laying around here somewhere that I thought sucked balls but I happened to check ebay and (at the time) it had gone for $50-$60. Had I not bothered to look it probably would've sat around until I dumped it at a store for a dollar or something. Of course, I didn't sell it either - it's still sitting around here somewhere.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Your smaller lesser records can be pawns to take the hit against fees incurred from higher end records being auctioned.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Your smaller lesser records can be pawns to take the hit against fees incurred from higher end records being auctioned.

I'm retarded, please explain.

A war of attrition. The lesser records and their smaller profits can be considered taking the hit of the fees incurred by selling better records. Just sell it all was my pt as long as they aren't goodwill or trashworthy.
    Or if they're real good, sell em to me.

A war of attrition. The lesser records and their smaller profits can be considered taking the hit of the fees incurred by selling better records. Just sell it all was my pt as long as they aren't goodwill or trashworthy.
    Or if they're real good, sell em to me.

Riiight

Well my concern or question is moreso that I'll waste a lot of time listing shit that won't sell, or won't be worth someone paying the shipping on (i.e. $2 is an ok price but then shipping makes it $6 or $7 rendering it a crappy total price).

If they're just gabage, sell em on Craigslist or at a show or something and put the cream on eBayz

If they're just gabage, sell em on Craigslist or at a show or something and put the cream on eBayz

Yeah I was more questioning the under $10 or so crowd of records.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The ebay market for marginal records is terrible right now.
    The heavy shit is selling and even going up, but middling on down has died. Maybe one or two items will bolt, maybe not. If you're busy it's not worth it.

The ebay market for marginal records is terrible right now.
    The heavy shit is selling and even going up, but middling on down has died. Maybe one or two items will bolt, maybe not. If you're busy it's not worth it.

Gotcha... thanks.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    coming from a buyer: Aint' worth it to buy a common 5 to 10 piece because of the added shipping charge, you loose. Just go to your local store to pick it up.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Common $10-30 records do well on focused, solid lists within a genre. They do really poorly on random lists mixed in with lots of stuff.

But I mean selling on eBay is even more of a crapshoot than ever these days. Even with big, known sellers, with good lists, some stuff is popping off insane but more importantly other records are way below market prices, like a third of what they could pull easily in a private sale.

Anything under $10 really isn't worth putting up on eBay. You'd do much better making a big list of $5 records and putting it up on here.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    how are the underground rap records doing?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Common $10-30 records do well on focused, solid lists within a genre. They do really poorly on random lists mixed in with lots of stuff.

Yeah, this is good advice. I see dudes with large focused lists doing well all the time with stuff I won't even bother with. IE: 100+ clean normal rock records like Zep, Doors, the Band, etc all up at once starting at $5 or bellow. I personally never do it cause I'm lazy and it seems like way too much effort to expend, but it does work.

Yeah, this is good advice. I see dudes with large focused lists doing well all the time with stuff I won't even bother with. IE: 100+ clean normal rock records like Zep, Doors, the Band, etc all up at once starting at $5 or bellow. I personally never do it cause I'm lazy and it seems like way too much effort to expend, but it does work.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

• all of it!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Mylatency will buy ANY record for the right price.

Mylatency will buy ANY record for the right price.

He isn't one of those bowl-making fools is he?

Next question:

How about selling in lots by group or associate groups? I've seen some of those go on ebay.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    OMG VG DEF LEPPARD INSTANT COLLECTION

$11.64

DEALTH

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    HE DOES IT FOR THE LULZ

OMG VG DEF LEPPARD INSTANT COLLECTION

$11.64

DEALTH

Pour some sugar on me crinkerz.

I dunno though, if you're getting rid of cheaper shit... $15 for a group may be worth the hassle whereas $2 each may not.