Is Asher Roth TEH RACIST??

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
This should make for a fun humpday thread.Asher tweets something about being at Rutgers with "some Nappy Headed Hoes"claims to have been clapping at Don Imus, but others are not amusedrealizes his folly, apologizes, then deletes both tweets (the original one and the apology)Is he a racist, a cunning social satirist, or just a typically-douchey white college kid... or ALL THREE???and...... GO!

Comments

• I don't think he meant anything by it besides taking a shot at Imus. Granted, he should of been smart enough to know he has people waiting for him to say some slick shit so they go in on his ass. Pretty stupid on his part, sure..but I don't think he meant anything by it.

• I'd say after listening to the album, or at least, trying to listen to the album, he's a typical-douchey white college kid. I wonder if we'll talk about him in a year?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    hes a douchey satirist white college kid

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    hes a douchey satirist white college kid who needs a latte pas.[/b]

he's still bringing up Don Imus? Not to dismiss what Imus said, but that literally was so last year. I'm sure Roth was just taking shots, but is there any more to say on that subject? Is that a pop culture reference that needs additional referencing? Is it a joke that still has legs? No, no, and no, say I.

I didn't see the tweets (nor do I care to) so maybe i'm not getting the whole story, but if it was satire, he needs to step his satire game up.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    is it satire if you just say the exact same words over again? not sure of the context, but seems like his satire might be as absorbing as his raps.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I heard Asher Roth was quitting rap after this album to become a full time method actor. Apparently he's grown a beard and already appeared at a few small theatres doing impromptu mimes.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Imus has cancer.

Karma is a nappy headed mofo.

• I haven't heard his album and only heard two of his songs ..the college song (horrible) and the go kart song, but I can def. see him being a douchebag college kid.

Hell, I can probably count on one hand the number of people (mainly white people from middle-upper class families) i've met that went to college and don't fall into the "douchebag" category.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Hell, I can probably count on one hand the number of people (mainly white people from middle-upper class families) i've met that went to college and don't fall into the "douchebag" category.

American higher education: teaching people to be douchebags since 1636.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

American higher education: teaching people to be douchebags since 1636.

White Upper Middle Class College Grads = Douchebags

White Trailer Park Meth Dealing Rednecks = White Trash

Can't keep score without a scorecard.

is it satire if you just say the exact same words over again? not sure of the context, but seems like his satire might be as absorbing as his raps.
    His satire is lacking in substance but he was mocking Imus and probably doing it for teh lulz, either way its f*cking stupid but I wouldn't expect more from this clown.

• white - check
    lived in trailer parks as a kid - check
    sold drugs (although, not meth) in my lifetime - check

Hmmm....

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    that he took down the comments makes him a chump...showing up at Rutgers and saying nappy headed hos is almost funny; he should've stuck with it.

IT'S LIKE EMINEM BRO HE SAYS THE THINGS PEOPLE SAY IN THEIR LIVING ROOMS BRO

I'm a yt college grad though, so take that into consideration.

doucheofdelridge

I'm not happy with the evolution of "douchebag." As I understood it, it used to have a certain cologne-drenched dummy Guido vibe...now it seems to have been expanded to include anyone you don't like, for any reason.

anyways:
    your so dead bro

your so dead bro

His so dead bro....is what?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    will this help his record sales?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    your so dead bro

...is passed on! This bro is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-BRO!!

your so dead bro

it was in Netjokes 102, which you musta not tookt AKA you sound non-yt and lower-learning'd:
    "When playing the role of Internet Tough Guy, a messageboarder can purposely use the wrong 'its,' 'your,' and/or omit punctuation (or raise it up to ALL_CAPS) to imply joking-osity."

also:
    "splainin shit kills it sorta"

and:
    "THIS AINT NO SPELLING B BRO"

and anyways
    THIS IS BETWEEN ME AND THIS GRANDFATHER DOUCHE COMEON STAY OUT OF IT

ur a douche bro

Whatever, guy. I still think talking about a dude's dead family is a bad look.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    will this help his record sales?

I have no clue. I'm pretty disconnected with the current rap scene/industry... I've happily avoided this dude for a while now and this morning I looked at a couple of youtube freestyles and was not impressed.

He had relied somewhat on cosignatures from Influential Rap Guys, and now you've got Eksay on Nahright waging a "No More Asher Roth Blog Posts" campaign until I guess Asher himself steps up and addresses it.

But I am completely unsure of WHO is gonna go out and buy this kid's record, seems to me like he could sell boatloads of records to people who don't know or care what some Influential Rap Guy has to say.

WHO is gonna go out and buy this kid's record.

My boy did a loose study to see if controversy stunts/increases record sales.

He says it doesnt.

U think 40+ Rockists would be interested?

I think his demographic is 14-25 Abercrombie & Fitch cats.

so you just assume my brother is dead?
    Well, he's not DB...despite your wishes he was.

Nah, just John Entwistle.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I think his demographic is 14-25 Abercrombie & Fitch cats.

Ahem. John 'Ox' Entwhistle, Who bassist and dead person.

b/w Keith Moon was a serious record nerd. Surf titles for days....

Ahem. John 'Ox' Entwhistle, Who bassist and dead person.

To be fair, though, he doesn't play much bass for the Who anymore.