Question for the record sellers

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Why do you let people put records 'on hold'?In your shop, on your list, on your stall at the record fair.I don't understand the benefit to you.Please speak on it.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    So someone can buy it a bit later?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Um....that is the benefit for the buyer.

Let's face it, I can't go into another business and behave the same.

Hello Ferrari dealer, can you put that nice shiny red one on hold for me? I'll be back later to tell you I found one cheaper somewhere else. In the meantime, and without deposit, don't dare sell it to someone else, even if they're offering you full and immediate payment for it.

GTFOOHWTBS

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Why do you let people put records 'on hold'?
    As a favor. In turn, favors can be asked. It's all very simple.

• i let people hold stuff because they usually dont have the cash flow to pay for it at the moment they ask for it, as rey said its a favour i do so that i can ask favours off them in refurn in future. i only hold stuff for people i know, otherwise its cash or no record.

So what are these 'favours' you can get in return?

Examples or you are soft.

• ok, i have a dude in germany who buys hip hop 12"s off me on the regular, but his paycheck date is constantly changing so i hold stuff for him because i know hes reliable and will eventually pay me. I recently saw an album for sale on amazon.de marketplace that had been on my wantlist for quite a while (just to flip on the bay really because i had got a decent copy of it by then), i get in touch with my dude and ask him if he can get that album for me off amazon and in return i'd send him a hip hop 12" that he'd been bugging me for for free, the hip hop 12" cost me about ??15 including delivery to him, the album i got from him got flipped on ebay for ??50.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    So what are these 'favours' you can get in return?

Examples or you are soft.

If I sell a record now or three days from now makes no difference to me whatsoever.

It makes a big difference to the customer, however. It's a chance for me to them a favor without it costing me. D-D-Discounts, on the other hand...

The only "loss" is that, if it's a sexy record, it's not up on my wall for people to gauk at.

What happens when you're doing a fair, and guy asks you to hold some records at 10 after doors open -
    then he strolls up just before close and says he's blown all the dough?

What kind of success rate do you get in the hold vs actual sale scenario?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    What happens when you're doing a fair, and guy asks you to hold some records at 10 after doors open -

I don't do fairs anymore, but when I did I only put records on hold for close friends who I knew were good for it.

Fairs are different - you only have a limited time to sell. My stores are open every day of the year except three.

There were always a few jerks who would pull 30-40 records, hand 'em to me and say
    "I'll be back" - that never worked.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    It's just part of rendering good customer service or simply being a nice person I guess.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

It is not hard to place a time limit upon holds. At a record fair, that time limit would be the time it takes for said buyer to hit an atm or borrow cash from his buddy. For someone I did not know, 15-20 min max, depending on the cost of the LP. $1-$5 record, I would set aside indefinetly. A STACK of $1-$5 records, 15 minutes or less.

In a store, it's all about reliability. If I was someone who regularly put on hold and DIDN'T buy, I would expect that privelege to dry up quick. I think a good store is one that allows this option, and a good customer is someone who lets people know asap if they intend to buy or not. If it's a record that will go, it will go regardless, and if it's not, what difference does it make if it's behind the counter for a minute?

Sounds like someone burned you!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts

This isn't Dorothy Morrison related is it Skel?

Sounds like someone burned you!

Quite the contrary - I lucked out this weekend on a SS ss (that's Soul Strut set sale, kids ) because someone didn't redeem a hold - word to G*eg

This isn't Dorothy Morrison related is it Skel?

Duder please, I'm 'rocking doubles' of this modern soul neccessity.

btw seriously, no sarcasm, ??50 is a steal for that record. BUY IT NOW.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Almost all retail businesses offer "lay-a-way" asking for a percentage of the price as a down payment ranging from 0%-50%.

Guys who go to the record fair and ask you to hold 50 LP's only to come back later and purchase 2 of them can be a problem.....especially since you may have had the chance to sell them to others who couldn't see them while they were being held.

I'll do this for a few friends but overall it's not a good look.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Why do you let people put records 'on hold'?

In your shop, on your list, on your stall at the record fair.

I don't understand the benefit to you.

Please speak on it.

It's called customer service, and is part of being a fair and honest business.

I would much rather hold a record and have someone not come back for it, than have them hide it in the bins.

Most people pick up their records, if they don't I just put them back in the bins.
    No problem.

I have never had someone not come back to buy their holds at a record show.

Some people who regularly abuse the hold policy don't get to use it.

I used to shop at EM 2-4 times a week.
    I would put stuff on hold until I had more than $20 to put on the charge card.
    I don't do that no more because clerks were regularly raiding my holds.
    Now if I find one $2.90 record, I just put it on the visa.