church

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
these are all within 5 minutes walking distance from where i live. none of these pictures are mine. this one is particularly interesting. its the korean philadelphia presbyterian church. as you can see it was once a jewish temple and symbols like the star of david have a cross inset in them. however, they kept the menorah thingies out front.

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Architecture = good, church = bleh.

I hope they're taking good care of those churches - out here they drop historic churches like that without thinking much about it.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    I hope they're taking good care of those churches - out here they drop historic churches like that without thinking much about it.

its the same out here.

is now this

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    My neighbourhood has all sorst of churches, mosques and buddist temples....

I dont follow any of the home teams but driving past their home grounds is always great, awesome architecture that stands out in a shitty suburban landscape.

its the same out here.

is now this

Although I agree as much as the next person that tacky new structures replacing architecturally superior older structures sucks ass (as in the so-called Fedders throw-up buildings in NYC), it's much better than what happens in cities in the Midwest.

They do things like taking a church like this:

and they turn it into this:

And that's if they're really in the mood to develop. More often than not, they'll replace historic buildings with this:

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    And that's if they're really in the mood to develop. More often than not, they'll replace historic buildings with this:

AVANT GARDE

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

This is the Assyrian (Iraqi/Syrian orthodox christians) Church, they got a huge presence in Fairfield.

The funky piano inside...

Freedom Plaza in Cabramatta. Not a temple per se, but we gots lots of temples around the area with this style going on...

The funky piano inside...

We call it corn, the natives call it an organ.

Neat pics though.