my neck... my back...

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
i thought getting serato would save my tortured back, but now it's worse than ever. I've been lugging a ton of stuff out to sell to stores and occasionally out on the street in BK. I have one spot in my back that keeps getting aggrovated and seems to be in perpetual pain. I recently got health insurance, and i'm considering seeing a chiropractor. is it worth it??? or should i just keep popping advils.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i thought getting serato would save my tortured back, but now it's worse than ever. I've been lugging a ton of stuff out to sell to stores and occasionally out on the street in BK. I have one spot in my back that keeps getting aggrovated and seems to be in perpetual pain. I recently got health insurance, and i'm considering seeing a chiropractor. is it worth it??? or should i just keep popping advils.
    get that shit checked out. popping pills won't do nothing but dull the pain (temporary fix). just go see the doc so that you can rehabilitate your back (or at least begin to).

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    best hundred bucks i ever spent. esp. if you stay in the city.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Just get a two hour deep tissue swedish massage. Seriously. My back is alwasy good for a few weeks after I get a nice massage.

JUST SAY NO TO CHIROPRACTORS. They're all quacks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Dont play w/ your spine, man. If you dont address it now youll fell that shit when your 70 yrs old.

ps--PS don't go to a chiro. fuckers are quacks!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    you better be using proper lifting method mane....

• go see a physiotherapist- he'll tell you whats going on w/ your back and what you can actively do to make it better. Massage is great for loosening up muscles, but will not re-align spinal discs, etc...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    go see a physiotherapist- he'll tell you whats going on w/ your back and what you can actively do to make it better. Massage is great for loosening up muscles, but will not re-align spinal discs, etc...
    my problem is almost certainly muscular, not skeletal. my gf is a licensed massage therapist, but she has yet to fix my problem. wtf?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    best hundred bucks i ever spent. esp. if you stay in the city.

dude. i trashed the last two carts i had. the last one literally disintegrated right in front of my house when i got back from europe. If records and equipment can thrash metal like that, imagine what they do to muscle tissue.

• go see a physiotherapist- he'll tell you whats going on w/ your back and what you can actively do to make it better. Massage is great for loosening up muscles, but will not re-align spinal discs, etc...
    my problem is almost certainly muscular, not skeletal. my gf is a licensed massage therapist, but she has yet to fix my problem. wtf?

Physiotherapist. Helped me w/ some muscular probs last year....

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    JUST SAY NO TO CHIROPRACTORS. They're all quacks.

I dunno about that. A lot of people are just hooked on them, and go WAY too often... but they can help out a lot. I used to go every 4-6 months or so when I was younger, and he would definitely help me out. Back all fucked up from skating/snowboarding, and I'd feel great after an adjustment.

Just sayin'. I'm sure people have had bad experiences too.

EDIT: Muscular problem? Yeah physio might be better...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    my problem is almost certainly mental[/b], not skeletal.

Dr. John E. Sarno, author of the revolutionary book Mind Over Pack Pain, is a medical pioneer whose program has helped thousands of patients overcome their back conditions???without drugs or dangerous surgery. Now, using his latest research into TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome), Dr. Sarno goes one step further: after identifying stress and other psychological factors in back pain, demonstrates how many of his patients have then gone on to heal themselves without exercise or other physical therapy. Find out:

[*] Why self-motivated and successful people are prone to TMS
    [*] How anxiety and repressed anger trigger muscle spasms
    [*] How people "train themselves" to experience back pain
    [*] How you may get relief from back pain within two to six weeks by recognizing TMS and its causes

With case histories and the results of in-depth mind-body research, Dr. Sarno describes how patients recognize the emotional roots of their TMS and sever the connections between mental and physical pain...and how, just by reading this book, you may start recovering from back pain today.

Worked wonders for me. And I disagree that all chiropractors are quacks. I've been to some good ones, but really, that shit's in your head much more than in your back.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    my gf is a licensed massage therapist, but she has yet to fix my problem. wtf?

same here. i'm even trained as a therapist. so in my 'professional' ( ) opinion it sounds like you're continually aggravating the same injury. which is not a good look. if the pain is really bad, then your sacral nerves are most likely being pinched. but it's possible the problem is in your cervical spine. although they reside on opposite ends of you spinal column, they are closely related thru muscle & movement.

hit up a chiro for 3x weeks sessions for about a month, all the while having your lady work it out. most important: stop lifting heavy shit or at least lift with your legs.

ps. why all the chiro hate? have you dudes ever been adjusted b4?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Chiroparctors are looked down upon by the medical community.... they diguise the pain but never fix it. You'll have to keep going back.

My suggestions:

1. Relax (if you have stress in your life)
    2. exercise (esp. situps are very helpful for back support)
    3. Massage (muscle tissue work is alway helpful)
    4. Stop smoking if you do (it fucks with your back)
    5. cut back on drinking (buildup around liver or something like that causes back pain...)

Good luck

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    they diguise the pain but never fix it. You'll have to keep going back.

funny, that's the exact attitude chiro's have of western medicine!

not to hijack your pain with a rant Delay, but the difference betweeen the treatments of western doctors and chiros is chiros treat the cause of the pain while western docs treat the pain.

there is a middle ground though

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude didn't you get Serato?

dude. i trashed the last two carts i had. the last one literally disintegrated right in front of my house when i got back from europe. If records and equipment can thrash metal like that, imagine what they do to muscle tissue.

you had a cart just like the one i posted? if so. damn. if not that's what you need. i stack four supreme crates on it and go down stiairs. just gotta keep air in the tires.

• edubedub 715 Posts

WTF?... my girl just went to one beause she was having severe back pain for about a week. Turned out she had a slipped disc[/b]... and the chiropractor said she could fix it.

I doubt a massage would fix a slipped disc

ya'll are some hatters!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yeah man. READ the post doggee.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Even Serato can't cure the need to stand and hunch over the turntables for 6 hours....

• Chiroparctors are looked down upon by the medical community.... they diguise the pain but never fix it. You'll have to keep going back.

My suggestions:

1. Relax (if you have stress in your life)
    2. exercise (esp. situps are very helpful for back support)
    3. Massage (muscle tissue work is alway helpful)
    4. Stop smoking if you do (it fucks with your back)
    5. cut back on drinking (buildup around liver or something like that causes back pain...)

Good luck

That's the truth.

I herniated a disc real bad. Could'nt walk or stand up for over a month. Bed ridden. Totally sucked. Went to a few doctors they all said they couldn't do anything. I just had to wait for the swelling to go away. They gave me flexaril and vicodin. Went to a chiropractor out of desperation and was tortured with no results.

Went to the physical therapist. I was given exercises to do, and started swimming.
    I lost 20 pounds and the pain gradually went away.

You need to strengthen the muscles that protect your back.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

cosign

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    AYYYYOOOOO! pasue.

• i effed my back up lifting my expedit (after the directions clearly said to have someone
    help you lift it up).

here's what worked for me:

1) heating pad

put one on before i went to bed a couple of nights in a row and it was dope.

2) stretches:
    - lie flat on your back on a carpet / bed / whatever
    - pull one knee up towards your chest and hold it there with your hands. make sure
    the pressure is felt on your back and not your hamstring
    - hold it for 30 seconds
    - repeat with your other leg
    - repeat with both legs at the same time