Weekend digz

GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Odd combination of finds from a relatively small collection. Everything very cheap and in great condition. Nice to get the UK pressing of "What's Going On" as I already have the US issue.

Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Local record store had the Fela's and the Assalam Aleikoum LP, which cooks and can be found stateside.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    there is a grocery stand at the san fernando swap meet that has tostadas flown in from df. the thick kinds. he also has rare central american produce and cheeses. also, i found this.

super bangen version of "you dont have to say you love me" by claudette

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    UK bootsale, 6am; this is the reality of digging here:

Digging this

Private press holiday camp boner grails on a 'Working Mans Soul' tip: utter terds
    Memo to self: stop buying this crap

LOL

Oh yes indeed, best 20p score this year

The Hustle is killing it

Can never resist these

always worthwhile

Been waiting a couple of decades to find this 'in the field' and then found it, literally, er, in the field

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Assalam Aleikoum LP, which cooks and can be found stateside.

Yeah, this record is great. I love that "Ode to Hendrix" joint. Any one have any info on the group Vincent N'Guini & Afro-train?

• skel, some of those finds are the instantly recognisable (and forgettable) typical UK charity shop digs, its not doing the reputation for digging in the uk any favours by putting them up on here lol. especially the music for pleasure LPs, i've gotta stop buying them too! but who'll say no to the 2001 a space odyssey soundtrack in a 3 for ??1 bin!! but then again that F.B.I lp is pretty sweet- how much was that at a bootsale?

It will do people good to understand the played-out state of the record scene here. There's a lot of dudes swear they find great stuff - I reckon it's BULLSHIT.

The FBI was 50p. Stone mint. It's a ??50+ album last time I looked.
    I was equally pleased with the Rare Pleasure 45, a nice little oddity.

That Hammond Disco lp has been disparaged before. It's actually very groovy, baby.

• yeah, i must admit im a bit prone to exaggerating some stuff, i find some good stuff but its not because the diggin is amazin, its because i put the hours in! FBI is a great find! if you ever find another , next time i do a VG+ ??10 challenge i'll pick up that hammond disco LP.

The Hammond LP won't be everyone's cup of ocha; I happen to really dig that cheesy lounge-disco sound, in an ironic hipster way, and hearing a sweeping Hammond wig-out in the middle of The Hustle is right up my alley. I'm making the scene with this new rave, dig daddio?

And the thing about all the MFP and 'em albums - they always seem to be in unplayed condition. All these old folks bought them and never spun the damn things. I don't blame them - terd albums (mostly - one or two have hot lounge tracks).

Til my next trawl thru the boot sales and charity shops - sayonara, auf wiedersehn, til we meet again etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mid-Weekend Finds

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I was early for a Upright Citizens Brigade performance last night so my date & I perused the racks at Counterpoint a few doors down. I found enough stuff to return the next day, and got these LPs at a 30% discount (about $50 total). The 45s were eBay and online purchases.

Don Fardon LP w/ "I'm Alive" and several other cool tracks
    Freddie McKay vintage reggae soul - 80s/90s press I think
    The Wildcats - feat. Korean version of Blondie's "Call Me"
    Stylers album with a less furious but still danceable version of a freakbeat track I have on another Stylers LP.

Stylers album with a groovy freakbeat track
    KILLER Rare Earth album, solid blue-eyed psych soul w/ "Land of Nod."

Severine - 45 French version of "Am I The Same Girl"
    Golden Cups - "This Bad Girl" OG 45 fuzz drenched!!!
    Mighty Joe Young - "Suffering Soul" 45 classic suicidal northern as recommended by TheHookUp
    Seven Souls - Groove-In 45 KILLER raw funk spin by Renato last week; I had to have it.
    Nick Cave - Compilation from the latest MOJO mag of Cave-related and Cave-inpiration tunes. Solid.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Mighty Joe Young - "Suffering Soul" 45 classic suicidal northern as recommended by TheHookUp
    If all goes to plan I should have a copy of this soon too. I love that "Ladies Man" 45 of his too.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

hey talk to us about that michelle scott. curious about the soul deep label since i found rupert cobbett lp on same.

"glasscock": great last name.

• found a few records today for cheap, a bunch of these are doubles and or available for sale/trade. will post a list in the next little while in the appropriate spot.

btw- can i get a price czech on the cobrra lp

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rock: I need to double check but I think I could use that Hector Rivera LP. Holleah!

hey talk to us about that michelle scott. curious about the soul deep label since i found rupert cobbett lp on same.

Very whitebread female pop LP....Karen Carpenter vibes.

Very whitebread female pop LP....Karen Carpenter vibes.

viva the whitebread pop!

my finds are actually accumulated over the last 2 weeks, via aggressive getting my fingers into collections activity. got some pretty cool stuff out of a guy who is starting to let go, and from a house a friend has been cleaning out in exchange for 1st crack at old toys/records etc (old lady moving to a home-r - see the mint wandas at the end for the fruits of that one)

^^one of the songs on the byard lancaster has this flowing spiritual piano dealie that i swear i heard in a mix recently (meaning in the last 2 years). am i on crack again?

^^ the 'baja' on that astronauts is the jam! i am sure this is the version that JFA was copying.

^^interesting poetry/abstract vibes on the rzewski. so happy to finally find a super natural at last!

^^ new jerseys greatest is all platinum, and its all amazing!

^^ to ye who said the merriweather and carey was coming my way - thank you, you were right!

^^ im pretty sure the wandas are unplayed. astonishing to pull them out and see brand new albums from 1960. her albums #1,#2,#3, bing bang boom, wanda collection complete. 5 keys kinda rough but never found one i felt was affordable before. To the strutter who shared the Martyn track "Back To Stay" some years ago, thank you for turning me onto whats become pretty much my all time fave folk type song. finally found an affordable copy of the album.

the rain comes from television. minty punk singles come from dudes who dont do the skank anymore.

(gotta have the wtf selection)

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Are you keeping the Zombies?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    just grabbed these 2 melody houses for a buck. dont know why, guess i'm still a sucker for drums.

Are you keeping the Zombies?

no, i upgraded and the extra is a shiny-but-bit-scuffy vg/vg+. planning on putting it in my next sale/trade list when i get it up, but PM me if you got ideas.

• retroretro 33 Posts
    Being super broke lately I only got this, for around 1 Euro.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Traded in a pile of guff and walked away with the following:

Really pleased to pick up this unplayed That's How it is LP by the house band at Monday Nights Bar Rumba Sessions with Gilles P. Great memories. Who else was a regular at this?

Club Jazz Vol 3 - Had one and two of this Swedish series so had to pick this up.
    OV Wright - The Bottom Line - Let's Straighten it Out is a monster tune, great for ??12!
    Esther Marrow - Newport News Virgina - Cheap copy of this classic - Spare
    Luther Thomas - Funky Donkey - Second press German release, one track each side, awesome funky jazz.

Paul Weller - Wild Wood - Unplayed copy with poster found in charity, great summer music.
    Michael Naura - Vanessa - The only ECM release that I like, one great funky track - Spare
    Maria Joao Quintet - Conversa - Great vocal jazz by Brasillian artist from Germany
    Bud Hunga - Relax - Funk Hammond tracks

Peter Coe Big Band - Working Man Soul alert!
    Byard Lancaster - Funky Rib Crib - Promo reissue of this great funky jazz session.
    Harry Stoneham - I Feel Good - Spare
    NYJO - Return Trip - Not seen this LP before, got one storming big band funk number

I am no longer a Finders Keepers virgin! I know loads of you guys have all thier releases but this is the first I've bought, in HMV no less using my Xmas vouchers from my neice. I remember the first time I saw this LP on the Bay, it ended in a bidding war with me Jazzman Gerald and John Stapleton. Sadly I lost!
    Loot Soundtrack - Classic Brit Funk - Spare

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

yeah yeah, i know.. nagl, but im too lazy to sort these for yall right now, sorry..

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    BAN!

You know that posting some record pron is MANDATORY here, right?

yeah yeah, i know.. nagl, but im too lazy to sort these for yall right now, sorry..

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    there is a grocery stand at the san fernando swap meet that has tostadas flown in from df. the thick kinds. he also has rare central american produce and cheeses.

I walked through there about four months ago and I think I know who you're talking about. No records except this guy who was selling sealed copies of "Oldies But Goodies"-like multivolume LPs near the car rugs and CD DJ station.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    everyones finds are looking gooooooood this weekend.
    i have been doing some spring reorganzing rather than buying but look at this adorable little miniature console that i just got as a gift....it's so cute i couldn't help posting it's picture.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    I walked through there about four months ago and I think I know who you're talking about. No records except this guy who was selling sealed copies of "Oldies But Goodies"-like multivolume LPs near the car rugs and CD DJ station.

dude! ive spent the last month on la otra lado. i know it gets shit on constantly but the valley is like sooo tubular! i bet that dude's stand violates all kinds of FDA import export laws. those tortillas are $20 a bag and worth every penny. i took it back to the shop and they were gone by the end of the day.

5 keys kinda rough but never found one i felt was affordable before.
    Why buy that Five Keys?, I flip past it every damn weekend, needle drop it now & then, but just can't bring myself to buy it. What am I missing? I have a comp of theirs on Ace or Charly from the 80s that covers more of their jump blues style stuff on Capitol & another label & I like that, but the album pictured comes off as a bit lacking in energy. What am I missing? (apart from the whole thumb cover incident).

Why buy that Five Keys?, I flip past it every damn weekend, needle drop it now & then, but just can't bring myself to buy it. What am I missing? I have a comp of theirs on Ace or Charly from the 80s that covers more of their jump blues style stuff on Capitol & another label & I like that, but the album pictured comes off as a bit lacking in energy. What am I missing? (apart from the whole thumb cover incident).

youre not missing anything, its really just an average old rnb album (w/famous cover) that i didnt have, but didnt want to pay real $ for (because musically its not all that). sometimes ill go for stuff just to have it in my collection. home run if famous + great music (like those wandas), but ill take a base hit if the price is right. price is getting a lot righter across the board in these ebay days. i remember seeing it up on walls in the early 90's at $400+. back then it was considered "rare".

i am curious though. there's supposedly an airbrushed version of it, that while being less funny, must be somewhat rare because you never see it, just the original dong version.

youre not missing anything, its really just an average old rnb album (w/famous cover) that i didnt have, but didnt want to pay real $ for (because musically its not all that). sometimes ill go for stuff just to have it in my collection. home run if famous + great music (like those wandas), but ill take a base hit if the price is right. price is getting a lot righter across the board in these ebay days. i remember seeing it up on walls in the early 90's at $400+. back then it was considered "rare".

i am curious though. there's supposedly an airbrushed version of it, that while being less funny, must be somewhat rare because you never see it, just the original dong version.

I've never seen the "non-penis" cover on the Five Keys.

What color labels are those Wanda's??

I too have never seen the "non-penis" version.