Resource Help on Hip Hop Songs

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I am teaching hip hop to Year 10 & we do a comparative listening exercise on Hip Hop songs that are created based on another famous piece of music. I have been doing C U When You Get There Vs. Canon for the last few years but can anyone think of another example. It has to be real obvious so that these kids can relate to it. ie. not just a passing sample but a huge bite. I know there is a Nas one that uses a Beethoven or Mozart piano piece (the name escapes me) but I don't have that. Please don't say Eminem Vs. Aerosmith or Run DMC vs Aerosmith or LL Cool J Vs. Chuck Berry. Because I am already contemplating those & some others. Basically some fresh ideas. Thanks.

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    um i dont know if the lyrics are suitable for your class, but that nas song "shoot 'em up"...the way he sing/raps is the melody of some old xmas/or classical song...drop the needle my maestro fresh wes, in the intro it uses a sample of a classic tune i can't recall...um what about when tribe used velvet underground's walk on the wild side? canibus's 2000 bc uses a mozart track off that requiem joint..sugarhill and another one bites the dust by queen? or was it radio clash by the clash? i never get that right

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    there was this A+ song which also had a beethovan symp. 5 sample.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The Nas song is called "I Can."

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    um i dont know if the lyrics are suitable for your class, but that nas song "shoot 'em up"...the way he sing/raps is the melody of some old xmas/or classical song...drop the needle my maestro fresh wes, in the intro it uses a sample of a classic tune i can't recall...um what about when tribe used velvet underground's walk on the wild side? canibus's 2000 bc uses a mozart track off that requiem joint..sugarhill and another one bites the dust by queen? or was it radio clash by the clash? i never get that right
    Thanks for the ideas & another good point about lyrical content. For it to be a 'clean' song makes it even harder. The Tribe one could be good I hadn't even thought of that one.
    Brian - Thanks for the name of that Nas song, I saw it on TV once & thought "I need to remember that & get a copy because it would be good for school" but never did.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Nas' "I Can" samples or interpolates or whatever Beethoven's Fur Elise.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Superfreak vs. Can't Touch This

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    how about

Puff Daddy - "I'll Be Missing You"

and

The Police - "Every breath you take"

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    there was this A+ song which also had a beethovan symp. 5 sample.

Yeah, the A+ track was called Enjoy Yourself.

It sampled a track called A Fifth Of Beethoven by the Walter Murphy Band.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Also Summertime by Will Smith & Jazzy Jeff would be a good example of a huge bite (Kool & The Gang - Summer Madness).

That bite goes over about 16 bars or so.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    ALOT of stuff on Handsome boy- white people, esspecially "rock'n'roll could never hip hop like this" several obvious classical samples in that track.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Friend of mine did the same here; He used the Chi-Lites vs Beyonce - Crazy in Love.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Someone once told me that the group "Jedi Mind Tricks" samples only[/b] classical music, and to check them out.

I never did, but you may want to.

Sorry, was that like not helpful at all?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Depends how well known you want the original as the reworking of Stevie Wonder's Pastime Paradise into Coolio's Gangsters Paradise would be one that springs to mind.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    geoffrey chaucer / baba brinkman

http://www.babasword.com/index/teaching.html

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    geoffrey chaucer / baba brinkman

http://www.babasword.com/index/teaching.html

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Impeach the President"- then play all the different uses.