What's your internet speed?

2»

Comments

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Herm,

How's the cable based broadband treating you? The numbers you posted by Cox are pretty good (I envy the upload speed). How does the price compare to your old DSL? Do you get free Anti-virus/Firewall software (McAfee) like we do on Comcast?

Thanks for staring the thread. It has felt good to bring something the table from one of my areas of expertise.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I love it. I haven't set up wireless yet so I have to plug in to the modem, but my pages load MUCH faster. (I'm that dude who has many pages open at once and is always bouncing back and forth.) The DL's don't seem as fast as I expected, but I'm okay with that. I'm paying $60 a month just for Internet, whereas with Qwest I was paying $80 for basic DSL with a no-frills (except for voicemail) phone line. I cancelled my home phone 'cause the only calls I would get were creditors looking for my cousin. I ignored all of those. I don't *think* I have a free anti-virus. They never mentioned it to me buy they did give me a box with a start up disc that may have it. I just plugged in and started surfing...I figure the disc was for beginners or something.

Daze suggested I pick up one of those Apple wireless routers so I can do the wireless iTunes thing as well.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts

SNIP>
    I don't *think* I have a free anti-virus. They never mentioned it to me buy they did give me a box with a start up disc that may have it. I just plugged in and started surfing...I figure the disc was for beginners or something.

Daze suggested I pick up one of those Apple wireless routers so I can do the wireless iTunes thing as well.

Yeah, download speed can vary depending on where hit for the download file, that is more of a hosting server issue than your connection speed. You should see a general pick up in download speed and there will be some sites where it super fast.

Usually, if the ISP is offering free security software they put it up on the homepage because that stuff is getting updated all the time. They don't always make it obvious. There might be some stuff on the disc, but that is usually a guided install for the cable modem (which you properly accessed that it is for the clueless beginner).

I haven't researched the apple wireless products so I don't know much about their advantages and disadvantages.

The wife and I use an iPod video docking station hooked directly into the amp/reciever of our home theater and that works well enough for us. Since we are not using a single iTunes library this is the best option we have found at the moment. It also is super cheap compared to some of the other choices.

There are some more sophisticated products made for the pioneer and sony amp lines that stream directly off your computer through a wireless connection (I use a Linksys). Unfortunately we have an amp that was made a year before they started offering them.