Electric Relaxtion transcription

minneapminneap 541 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I'm trying to transcribe Electric Relaxation for my jazz combo and a possible hip hop-played-by-jazzers recital next year but I can't get the guitar changes for the life of me. Anyone done this before or have a good resource to help?

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I don't really agree with hip hop songs being replayed by bands, but if you need any help with chords though you can PM me.

- diego

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm trying to transcribe Electric Relaxation for my jazz combo and a possible hip hop-played-by-jazzers recital next year but I can't get the guitar changes for the life of me. Anyone done this before or have a good resource to help?

Call Ronnie Foster and Ramsey Lewis.

haha.. Ronnie just literally LOL'ed sitting next to me right now.

- diego

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    haha.. Ronnie just literally LOL'ed sitting next to me right now.

- diego

Word? Post a picture of Ronnie Foster looking at Soulstrut online or you're soft like cookie dough.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I don't really agree with hip hop songs being replayed by bands, but if you need any help with chords though you can PM me.

I don't know why not, most of the samples came from bands to begin with.

Good luck on trying to figure it out...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Will you post up your jazz version once its complete? Would be dope to hear....

Also, what you gonna do about the vocal hook part?.... maybe get someone to scat it like 'relaxababaputat yoursibadadaboopopself girlrapupapapaa...."

• seriously though, please post the chords if you end up doing this.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I spent a while trying to figure em out but they never sounded just right, kinda like that dude in the video. I have to turn in a finished version of something tomorrow so I went the easy route and transcribed Runnin' but in a South America-meets-hip hop setting, similar to this but with horns instead of technology and a mambo/funk groove.

I don't know why I thought you originally only asked for just one song. My bad. Electric relaxation just pitches down Ronnies song a couple of steps. These are the correct chords, just not pitch bent. Sorry it's guitar tab, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Chords

Bmaj7
    G#maj
    F# maj
    E maj7

E-2-2--4-4-2-4--=
    B-4-4--4-4-2-4--=
    G-3-3--5-5-3-4--=
    D-4-4--6-6-4-2--=
    A-2-2--6-6------=
    E------4-4------=

Bass Line

G----------------------------|----------------=
    D--------------6-------------|----------------=
    A-----9--8--6------8-9--7-9--|----6------7-9--=
    E-6-7--6--6--6---9-----9---9-|7-6--4-2-4----9-=

Don't have a piano in front of me to add anything else.

I'm a little busy with recording right now, but I'll see if I can get ronnie to salma hayek later Big chan.

- diego

The font on the strut really butchered that. Just paste it into wordpad and change the font to COURIER.

I'll try to fix it so it works with arial.

Chords

Bmaj7
    G#maj
    F# maj
    E maj7

E-2-2--4-4-2-4-
    B-4-4--4-4-2-4-
    G-3-3--5-5-3-4-
    D-4-4--6-6-4-2-
    A-2-2--6-6------
    E-------4-4-------

Bass Line

G|-----------------------------------------|---------------------------
    D|-------------------6--------------------|---------------------------
    A|------9---8---6-------8--9---7-9---|---------6---------7--9---
    E|-6-7---6---6---6---9------9------9-|--7--6---4--2--4------9-

- spidey

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    You the man SPIDEY! Big thanks on this one. Runnin' sounded pretty cool in rehearsal today but I'll get to arranging Relaxation and let ya'll know how it sounds. One of the two will get recorded mid-May and I'll post that up.

Big shouts to Ronnie if he helped!

• Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    PROPER (even if I can't read music or play a chord progression beyond a simple I IV V)

• yup, that's the ticket! thanks alot spidey

- are you seriously hanging out with ronnie foster?

if you are, tell him i that frickin' love his solo on "boogie juice"

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    have heard a couple of live versions of electric relaxation of the years, and have been a fan of all of them, keen to hear this, pleaseto upload the finished one