how dumb people talk

selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
hey guy,it's an important meeting and i know you're trying to do your best to sound intelligent. maybe you're a little nervous. but guess what? appending every sentence with "and whatnot" and "and things of that nature" just confirms my suspicion you are an uneducated moron.sincerely,me

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'll try better next time.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    sorry you didn't get the job man

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    sorry you didn't get the job man

ZING, as it were.

• i wish people would like stop saying "like" all the time.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Starting sentences with 'BASICALLY'.

F*ck OFF

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    BASICALLY YOU GUYS SHOULD LIKE F*ck OFF AND WHATNOT

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    you guys are, like, dumb and shit.

• "SUPPOSEBLY......."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    i wish people would like stop saying "like" all the time.

I find myself keeping count of how many times young adults (usually college students) say "like" when I overhear their (often overly loud) conversations. They speak atrociously and sound really stupid.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    that's like, just your opinion and stuff

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    "yer"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I say like pretty often, and I'm not all that dumb.

It's just a poor speaking habit, not a sign of stupidity.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I say like pretty often, and I'm not all that dumb.

It's just a poor speaking habit, not a sign of stupidity.

I agree.

Other annoying speaking habits are regional. One thing that annoys me about Ohio is people around here will drop words from sentences in certain situations. Like, "The cat needs fed." Um, no, "The cat needs TO BE fed." I don't think it makes everyone retarded that says it, but it does indicate lax grammar.

Pet peeve.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

One thing that annoys me about Dayton, Ohio[/b] is people around here will drop words from sentences in certain situations. Like, "The cat needs fed." Um, no, "The cat needs TO BE fed."
    Pet peeve.

I used to work in Dayton, and heard this kind of phrasing ALL the time from a majority of my coworkers. I pointed it out one time and the reply was, "Oh it's a southern Ohio thing." Being from southern Ohio (Cincinnati), I've never heard people speak that way until I started working in Dayton.

Where are you from Graf?

John

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Saying that something is 'addicting' rather than the correct 'addictive' makes me crazy.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I used to work in Dayton, and heard this kind of phrasing ALL the time from a majority of my coworkers. I pointed it out one time and the reply was, "Oh it's a southern Ohio thing." Being from southern Ohio (Cincinnati), I've never heard people speak that way until I started working in Dayton.

Where are you from Graf?

Northeast. Not everyone does it, and I can't quite pick what the criteria is that make people do it. But it does turn up frequently.

I think it's this area of the Midwest; I also had a coworker from Pittsburgh who spoke the same way.

If I had to estimate I would say it is a lower-middle class white person knack.

Since so many people (a generation or two back) are transplants I wonder if stuff like this originated elsewhere since not everyone does it.

• The misuse of ironic and literally makes me cringe.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The misuse of ironic and literally makes me cringe.

Like, literally cringe?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Maybe I'll start using "figuratively" instead of "literally".

for example...

"Yesterday I was so hungry I figuratively almost freaking starved to death!"

what's the opposite of Ironic? Maybe i'll start doing that too.

Maybe I'll start using "figuratively" instead of "literally".

for example...

"Yesterday I was so hungry I figuratively almost freaking starved to death!"

what's the opposite of Ironic? Maybe i'll start doing that too.

Probably "fitting". Or you could go with "Wow! That is the perfectly appropriate and expected outcome and/or reaction to the events that preceded and/or precipitated that result!" You know, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I prefer words that end in "-ly".

• young adults... I overhear their (often overly loud) conversations.

i have been noticing this more and more recently. why do they feel the need to talk so loudly, especially if the topic is sex or drugs? do they think they are being shocking or that other people would be so fascinated to know about this stuff.

is it the proliferation of blogs etc... that makes younger people want to live their lives out loud or has this been going on forever and am i just a crusty 30-something (although it is possible it has been going on forever and i am crusty)

• you weren't loud as a teenager?

might be an issue of just being soft

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I was only slightly more loud and obnoxious as a teenager than I am now.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

"Hey, please do reach out to either Jim or MYSELF about this, we'll be glad to help you get the ball rolling on this and whatnot basicly and whatnot"

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    "For all INTENSIVE purposes..."

• you weren't loud as a teenager?might be an issue of just being soft

you're confusing volume with confidence, intellect or ability. discretion is the better part of valor; or to put in terms you might understand: "like dull knife, you just ain't cutting".

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    "For all INTENSIVE purposes..."

Haha. Last night on King of Queens it was the one where dude is talking about how his wife controls him. "Ok, well why won't you let me say 'for all intensive purposes?'" and she's like "Because it's wrong, you moron!" Later, he's like "For all INTENSIVE purposes, this conversation's over!"

I laughed and I also thought of DB_Cooper. No ayo.

you weren't loud as a teenager?might be an issue of just being soft

you're confusing volume with confidence, intellect or ability. discretion is the better part of valor; or to put in terms you might understand: "like dull knife, you just ain't cutting".

Well, a stitch in time does save nine. And a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Or in terms you might understand, "I wanna take it to the bridge. Can I take it to the bridge? Ah-one, two threefoah!"